News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Celtic shoes

Started by Earl of Bunting, September 06, 2011, 10:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl of Bunting

Any suggestions on where to get reasonably priced Celtic shoes?
Long live the Gobbler

Zardoz

can you be a little more specific about what kind on 'Celtic shoes' you are after?
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Earl of Bunting

My "look" would be classified as casual or rugged. I am slowly building my Celtic garb. So far I have my kilt, socks and top from kommando kilts. I am not wanting the bag piper look.

Blighted in the eyes of God
Long live the Gobbler

Rogue Hidesmith

So...are you looking for boots or shoes or ghillies?
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

DonaCatalina

Couple of sources...
Scot Shoppe
Vendor Description:
Tartan & casual kilts, shirts, Celtic footwear, belts, sporrans and Celtic accessories.

Booth Location: 521

866-552-6687

sales@kommandokilts.com

Marcie's Shoes/RenBoots
Vendor Description:
Handcrafted leather shoes, boots and leather accessories.

Booth Location: 26

866-552-6687

sales@renboots.com
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Earl of Bunting

I suppose im looking for whatever I'm "suppose" to have for propped look. I just do not want the bag piper look. Does this make sense?

Long live the Gobbler

Duke of Remington

I would guess that you are looking for ghillies by your description. Are you going for a Scottish warrior type?
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.

Earl of Bunting

Scottish warrior type is an excellent way to put it. Thank you sir. Any ideas?

Also what should I be getting next? Dagger, sporran ect

Long live the Gobbler

Lady Renee Buchanan

Willin Soles has the most comfortable ghillies (and other shoes) in the world!  It's like walking on marshmellows for 10 hours of walking around at faire.  Plus excellent support.  And excellent prices.

You can contact the shop by sending a renmail to Lady Nicolette on this forum.  She can give you more info as to sizes and prices.

I wear my Mary Janes as regular shoes as well as at faire, because they are so comfortable.  And wear my ghillies almost every weekend at faire.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rogue Hidesmith

A sporran is a must as you wont have pockets.
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

Betty Munro

A sporran will also hold your kilt down if the event of an upward wind.  A sporran is a must with a kilt.  Daggers are more fun.  Can you afford both?

I think gillies will give you the bagpiper look you are trying to avoid.  (I don't know why, bagpipers are darn sexy!)  I "vote" for boots.  Sandlar type, not pirate boots, (unless you are a kilt wearing pirate).
http://sonofsandlar.com/products-page/boots/

Earl of Bunting

Thank you all. I have a lot better idea of what I'll be buying now!! Much much thanks!

Long live the Gobbler

Rogue Hidesmith

Quote from: Betty Munro on September 07, 2011, 11:11:04 PM
Sandlar type, not pirate boots, (unless you are a kilt wearing pirate).
http://sonofsandlar.com/products-page/boots/

I concur: high boots with a cuff look odd with kilts. And although some purists will poopoo upon wanting to wear any kind of boot with a kilt, I think it looks fine.
IBRSC #1603

groomporter

Footwear for Scottish and Irish re-enactors
See the links to patterns at the bottom of the page.
http://www.historicgames.com/Scottishstuff/ghillies.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

DonaCatalina

The seventeenth century is not my era, but I remember seeing a portrait of a Scottish nobleman on horseback wearing a kilt with knee high boots and spurs. Does anyone know who that might have been?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess