News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Anyone else heading from northern VA?

Started by Wolf666, September 09, 2011, 03:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolf666

So I am debating heading out to check out the Maryland RF, however a few worries.  One, being new to the area unless I find some other Ren goers I'll be heading there solo.  Two, everywhere I check it seems Maryland's fair is no weapons, even peace tied.  So I am debating if its worth the trip or if I should head up to the one in eastern Penn.  Have hit faires while I was in Ohio (2001), Colorado (2001), Arizona (2002 - 2004) and most recently did King Richard's up in MA (2010).  I was kinda disappointed with how King Richard's, but not sure if that was just the area or if Faire's have dwindled down since 2004.  Would have prolly been quickly bored if I wasn't with a bunch of other friends who where in full garb as well.  Any opinions? Really not wanting to take time off work if its going to be dull showing up in garb solo (and medieval time garb here, leather armor, etc).

Master James

Sadly MDRF does not allow any weapons, even peace tied but that does not take away from a great faire.  This faire is a lot of fun.  There are tons of shows, great acts (both on the stage and now on the streets!), great shopping and many friendly people.  To the medevial garb, there are a LOT of people that do that.  As a matter of fact there is an entire group of guys that are knights and have a group that they have started (sorry don't know a lot about the group but the guys are great and if you see someone in armor, just ask and I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you all about the group).  This is a hard site with many buildings and stages.  The jousting is one of the very few on the faire circuit that IS NOT STAGED!  It is FULL ON, FULL CONTACT jousting and yes, occasionally someone gets trully un-horsed.  I would highly recommend you give this faire a shot as I'm sure you will not be dissapointed.  Hope to see you there.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Wolf666

Sounds worth the trip, well I wont be able to make it out this weekend but will see if I can't adjust my hours some and drive on out next weekend.  I'll know more by monday morning and will keep this thread semi active in case anyone else from northern VA is looking to head out.

Wolf666

Alright, I'll be heading there sunday so if anyone else heading from northern VA let me know. :P Otherwise see folks at the faire

SethB

I'm from NoVA but probably going on Saturday. The weather looks to be perfect this weekend!

Wolf666

Would of liked to hit it both days but with work schedule could only snag days off to make it Sunday. 

Wolf666

correction, since I'm actually only working till 8AM saturday morning, I may just head out there afterwards and pull a half day saturday at the fair and a full day Sunday.  Looking into hotels in the area now (as opposed to driving 90m there, 90 back, 90 back, 90 home).  With the car I drive it be cheaper to stay a night in a hotel then buy the gas. :P

SethB

I got a great rate from the unpublished rates section on Expedia. You won't know what hotel it is until after you pay, but you can figure it out based on the map they provide. I ended up at the Hilton Garden Inn near BWI, and it was a short 20 minute drive to the faire.

Serenity

Look for a large group at the Dragon at 11 and O'Shucks at 12.  You may drive up alone, but you won't have to be there alone!

Except Saturday morning is going to be crazy at the Dragon because of a wedding.  Just warning ya!
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Wolf666

Will have to see, Sunday is for sure, but now there is a question of whether the guy coming in after my shift will be here at 8am or not.  So depending on what time he gets here will decide if its worth driving 90m to get there (aka if he isn't here till noon I'll prolly just wait).  I'll definitely have to check out the two places mentioned, and I'd say what to look for but that takes the fun out of it.  Though my log in tag is a pretty decent hint. ;)

Wolf666

Well hope the wedding was fun, work didnt let me out in time to make it worth the drive, but I'll be there Sunday for sure.

Wolf666

Well had a blast Sunday, swung on by the dragon and oshucks and met random people, though nobody from the forums (at least that I could tell).  Either way had a blast and probably had my picture taken with a good two dozen random folks (not people in garb, random visitors asking for photos), met some fun people and chilled to the day closed at 7pm.  Definitely wish I could spend more days there as there is soooo much to do, impossible to fit into just 1 visit.  Hopefully my schedule will shift some to free me up on Sundays at the least and I can make the drive out again in a week or 2.  I'll have to add some photo's of me in garb n link em or something.

Serenity

Yes, please post a pic so we know who we're looking for!  LOL
DoRT
OBL
MDRF FoF Charter Member
IWG #3798

Wolf666

Well ya may have seen me walking around like this:

Quick camera pic before leaving for the night

or outside in my baby bird