News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Anyone familiar with Hoggetowne?

Started by Marietta Graziella, September 09, 2011, 08:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marietta Graziella

Pardon the intrusion Florida friends but I am looking for a faire to attend in January.

I happened upon Hoggetowne http://www.gvlculturalaffairs.org/website/programs_events/HMF/medieval_events.html but did not recognize the name. Are you familar with this faire? Thoughts? Do you recommend? 

Thank you for any info you might have or perhaps suggestions for another faire during January...  :)
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Hector

MG, many us from BARF are quite familiar with Hoggetowne.  While small, it is a fun faire and most folks will make it up there for at least a day or more.  There are vendors there that are seldom seen elsewhere and it raises money for charity as well.  I recommend spending a full day there if it works for your schedule.  Hoggetowne often has a neat energy to it as a result of the mix of locals and students in Gainesville.  Paul could tell you a great deal more if you would like it. 

Depending on the time of month, two other events that come to mind are the Gasparilla Pirate Festival in Tampa and FlaRF down south.  Gasparilla includes what is the third largest parade in the country, so there is a very broad spectrum there.  It is not the traditional pirate festival and has a lot of historical and commercial overtones.  If you get there earlier in the week its fun to watch the mayor defy the pirates.  Later the pirates will invade by sea and the mayor will surrender the city prior to the parade.  Several of us are in Gasparilla Krewes and can give you more information if you wish it. 

The earlier dates for FlaRF have recently been out on Virginia Key closer to Miami rather than the later dates further north of Ft Lauderdale.  FlaRF is much larger and a soft faire like BARF.  I have had days I really enjoyed at FlaRF and others not so much -- mostly depending on the mix of people as you would expect.  They often have some great acts and vendors.

Those are just what comes to my mind and I hope they help. 
-

Marietta Graziella

Hector, thank you so much for all the information! 

DH is home on leave during January so we are hoping to attend a faire together since his current rotation has him missing MN all together next year.  :'(   Our mission is to find a faire during every other rotation home so we don't have to miss out entirely.  ;D
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Ms Trish

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on September 20, 2011, 08:28:55 AM
Hector, thank you so much for all the information! 

DH is home on leave during January so we are hoping to attend a faire together since his current rotation has him missing MN all together next year.  :'(   Our mission is to find a faire during every other rotation home so we don't have to miss out entirely.  ;D

And that it gets you out to faire again is just a pleasant side effect? :)
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Out_of_the_Ashes

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on September 09, 2011, 08:23:05 AM
Pardon the intrusion Florida friends but I am looking for a faire to attend in January.

I happened upon Hoggetowne http://www.gvlculturalaffairs.org/website/programs_events/HMF/medieval_events.html but did not recognize the name. Are you familar with this faire? Thoughts? Do you recommend? 

Thank you for any info you might have or perhaps suggestions for another faire during January...  :)

With Hoggetowne coming up in just a few weeks, I wanted to reiterate some of the positive points that Hector mentioned. The producers, Linda and Bill, put a lot of heart and soul into the event. Some of the regular acts include Empty Hats (+Celticopia, Oops! Comedy Knife Show, Giacomo the Jester Show, and a ballads set or two of Carl's if I remember correctly), Paolo Garbanzo, Jim Greene's Rat Show, Bob DaVinci, Bunnies in Peril, Jousting, Birds of Prey, Human Chess, etc. There's usually rat pucking. The Thieves Guild cast is wonderful, and they put on a great chess game. The food vendors range from your typical fried faire indulgences to healthier, lighter options, which I've found to be delightful in having options. It's not a big drinking faire. The lanes can be tight, but only because Hoggetowne draws a massive audience for a small, two weekend faire. I've never had issues with parking, since I always arrived either early in the day or was there VERY early for setup, but the faire also offers shuttle buses. Truly, my favorite small faire in Florida, love the setting and the people, and will really miss them all, as this is my first season in years not attending due to moving back home. Love being back home, but will still miss them, as they are very near and dear to my heart.

iain robb

My wife and I are working to fit Hoggetowne into our plans this year. We've heard a lot of good things about it, and it's not that far from where we live in Central Florida.

Kate

Yay! Which weekend? The 28th is Gasparilla so we'll eb there the following weekend.
Kate
Pink'n Penny

iain robb

It's looking like I'll be out of town the first weekend, so it would be the second weekend. My wife was concerned that we may not be able to do that because the 3rd is our son's 18th birthday, but I'm going to try to work around that. Maybe there will be a miracle and he'd come with us.

And that would indeed be a miracle. He spends hours playing at killing aliens and thinks we're weird for dressing up and spending hours with real people.

iain robb

As I expected, my son wants to do something to celebrate his birthday on the 4th, and that most definitely will not be going to Hoggetown. And since his 18th birthday only comes around once, and Hoggetown will (hopefully) be there next year, it looks like I'm going to miss. Drat.

iain robb

Well, now the good news is, I will actually be around for the first weekend of Hoggetown (I was expecting to be in California), so it looks like we'll be going the first weekend. At least for now.

Hey, am I the only one in here?  ??? :)

Out_of_the_Ashes

Quote from: iain robb on January 20, 2012, 06:20:57 AM
Well, now the good news is, I will actually be around for the first weekend of Hoggetown (I was expecting to be in California), so it looks like we'll be going the first weekend. At least for now.

Hey, am I the only one in here?  ??? :)

Lurking for pics, here!  ;)

Ditzy Gypsy

Quote from: Marietta Graziella on September 09, 2011, 08:23:05 AM

Thank you for any info you might have or perhaps suggestions for another faire during January...  :)

Hi Marietta! I've performed with the belly dance troop Sahnobar the for the past two years at Hoggetowne, and I LOVE that faire. It's location is beautiful, surrounded by beautiful pine trees and the overall atmosphere has always been pleasant and welcoming. I think, it's the bigger of the "smaller" faires; the way it is laid out doesn't make it feel small at all IMHO. It has a good helping of stage acts and quite a variety of them as well. :)

Stop by the Gypsy camp and say hello if you make it.  ;)

Escarlata

Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

iain robb

Kate

I'm still up in the air about Saturday. Lady D has offered to drive so I should have no excuse! :)
Kate
Pink'n Penny

iain robb

There you go -- no excuses. Just get your fine self up there!

Esperanza McDaniels

And I will be in the car too so there is more incentive to go!!!   :P
Esperanza McDaniels
Pilot for The Harbinger

Bite'n Penny
Cruise Director of The Clan O'Conchobhair

Lady DArbanville

It was great seeing everyone! Now that Hoggetowne was a success and is over, it's off to see the wizard! At BARF!  :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Irish Penny Brigade
Beer'n of the Clan O'Ceallaig
Special Projects

Lady Isabelle D'Arbanville,
Privateer, First Lady of the Harbinger
IFRP #1205. Tampa Bay

Wench, IWG #3510, Local 21
Tampa Bay

Larien Telemnar of Laughlorien

Lady DArbanville

The Irish Penny Brigade