News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice

Started by Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman, September 13, 2011, 02:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

So, I've been around a while, seen a few (thousand) things, and, after this year working, felt there was some advice I'd like to get out to the playtrons and participants, because I keep seeing the same things happening. Feel free to add your own advice, I'm just trying to get out what I've got.

Disclaimer: There is no anger here, no pointing fingers. These are just bits of advice I think some people have overlooked. Any 'you's  are used just for clarity of writing.

1) I have a beautiful yellow tail I bought three years ago at TennRenn. This year, I had to retire it, because it is about to fall apart. Not because it was poorly made (it wasn't.) But because so many peoples first response to seeing it is to yank on it. Not just patrons, but other performers, people I consider friends, seemed to think nothing of walking up to me and tugging on my tail, or tugging on it as they go past. The advice here is simply 'Don't touch other peoples props without permission.'
Clarification: I consider anything a person has on their body while 'in character' to be a prop.
Yes, we all have cool things, nifty toys. But, you wouldn't want a patron to come up and take one of your items, what makes it ok to take something of another actors? I'm constantly surprised by the familiarity of some people.

2) Speaking of familiarity, and, I'm not sure how people don't notice this one, but... 'It is not ok to touch other people without permission.'Now this one has a lot of examples. The most common one would be that just because a ladies lady bits are on display does not give someone the right to poke, prod, jiggle, or play them like a bongo. Unless, of course, the lady in question has given permission. Simply because you are tipping someone, does not give a person the right to shove money in between breasts, or to sneak a grope if the cleavage IS offered as a tipping slot.
But it's not just the men being inappropriate. Ladies, a man wearing a kilt is not inviting a kilt check. If you offer and he accepts, that's all right, but, well, don't force it. I've seen many a man with an embarrassed grimace on his face because a group of ladies has badgered him into letting them each check his kilt, in front of his significant other, or child. Again, permission is key!
Finally, gender neutral for this advice, grabbing someone even in non naughty places is a just plain bad idea. Throwing someone over your shoulder, grabbing them by the wrists, waist, or other extremity, just shouldn't be done, without the permission of the person involved.

3) This one goes out mostly to playtrons. And is less easy to boil down into a sentence. But! i understand, you're friends with people who are working. You know them, like hanging out with them, love their bits. However, these are their bits. And, for several of us, it's a way we make the money to keep doing it. So when you see your performer/shop owner/whatever friend deep in conversation with patrons, that is not the time to try and talk with them. They're trying to make money, and, much as they might love to see you and say hi, most bits are timing critical. Wait until they stop what they're doing, it shouldn't be more then a couple of minutes, and say hi then.
Along those lines, if someone is doing a bit with patrons, please don't jump in without being invited into it! Yes, all right, there are quite a few bits where jumping in is okay, where it's a big scene, but if it's a close in bit, chances are the person in question is trying to do something specific, that will be unlikely to be helped by random contributions.
The final bit of this advice: Never tell a patron not to do something. Seriously. Even if you have huge flaming issues with the entertainer trying to convince the patron to part with hard earned money, the biggest d ick move is to say 'Don't trust him/Don't do it/He's trying to trick you!' what have you. Again, most of us are just trying to earn a living here, and it's hard enough as it is to get people to try something without being told not to do it.

4) Don't be afraid to talk to peoples bosses. No, really. If that guy down by the shoe shop is making you uncomfortable the way he drops coins to try and make you bend over, chances are, you're not the only one. Don't worry about getting him in trouble. Chances are, he either A) knows what he's doing and is a creep or B) needs someone to tell him why what he's doing is wrong. So, first, say something to him. If it's clear he's just being a creep, go to his boss. Let the person in charge know the problem you have. We're all here to have a good time, and people do listen.

5)Some people don't drop character. Some people have very specific characters. Just because you know their real name doesn't give you permission to walk up to King Henry and say 'Hey bob, what's up?' Festival is generally the time people use to get away from their mundane lives. So, Lady Sally, the Queens Maiden Aunt, does not want to use that time to talk about how poorly her grandmother is doing, or about how her son needs a new kidney. If someone is working in character, don't try and drag them out of it. It can be jarring to go back and forth.

I think I got out most of what i wanted. Any other advice, feel free to add.

kcdcchef

all some very good points. I want to weigh in on a lot of them, but am too tired. TOMORROW! Great post though.

DonaCatalina

A lot of this is covered in Queen Margaret's handbook.
Maybe we need to give it a permanent home in a prominent place.
http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=9044.0
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Captain, it would seem that everything you said would be obvious to a normal, well-mannered person with any brains. The problem is, that type of person is slowly approaching extinction.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Betty Munro

I agree with Merlin.  Simple good manners not exercised.

6) Glitter. Do not glitter someone without permission. ESPECIALLY do not glitter someone in garb without permission! I understand, some people actually like glitter. Please make sure the person you are about to glitter is one of those.

7) Children. I understand. You've grown up in the faire environment, you trust the family like atmosphere. The fact is, we have no control over who can and cannot come into the faire. Letting your seven or nine year old run around all on their own? Really not the smartest idea. And I'm sorry, I don't care how responsible they are, letting your 12 year old watch over the nine year old, the six year old and the three year old?  It's not a good idea. Keep the young children close to you, even if it means you don't get to spend the day sitting in the pub drinking.

8) Drink in moderation! I can't count the number of regulars who come to the faire and are weaving, slurring, drunk by midday. EVERY DAY. Okay, maybe I'm being judgmental, maybe this is what you consider fun, but then i see family groups where the children are under 16, and the parents are BOTH drunk at the end of the day. A designated Driver is a must, people.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on September 13, 2011, 05:21:13 AM
Captain, it would seem that everything you said would be obvious to a normal, well-mannered person with any brains. The problem is, that type of person is slowly approaching extinction.

yeah it's mainly common sense stuff. touching someone in general unless they solicit it, is just off. there are certain wenches i have spent decades talking to in and out of character at my home festival. i know they are fine with me coming up and putting my arms around their waists, looking down at the girls, you name it. all part of who they are and i know that and they know i know them well. but i could imagine them not knowing me and it being a bad thing.

I realise a lot of it is common sense, but I've noticed a lot of people, not just 'danes, leave their common sense at the gate, because they think Faire is a safe place, or a more excepting place, or just better in general.

kcdcchef

sadly, most people view faire as a place where there are no rules or inhibitions of any kind. And even more sadly, there are many people who attend in garb, not paid performers, who perpetuate this belief.