News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Clever but polite ways to deflect unwanted male attention....are there any?

Started by DancingDogDairy, October 04, 2011, 08:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: amy on October 11, 2011, 12:36:55 PM
too funny W/M.    You can guard my charge any day!

;D It's what we were made for.........historically......really..

iain robb

Quote from: Warrior Monk on October 11, 2011, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: amy on October 11, 2011, 12:36:55 PM
too funny W/M.    You can guard my charge any day!

;D It's what we were made for.........historically......really..

The Knights Templar: Protecting underage maidens from drunken perverts.

Hmmm ... not quite the way I would have described it historically. Equally noble, but nonetheless ...  ;)

GirlChris

Protecting underage maidens from drunken pilgrims? You wouldn't think that situation comes up all that often.

(I'm joking I'm joking)

iain robb

It's the hats. Those silly Pilgrim hats. Destroys their self-esteem. Leads to drunkenness.

Sorry, back on topic ...

I was thinking about the circumstances in which I would intervene, and I realized it has a lot to do with the demeanor of the woman or young lady involved.

If she's smiling and appears to be going along with things, I am unlikely to intervene.

But she shouldn't allow herself to appear panicky or vulnerable either, because if no one chivalrous was about, that could spur on the offenders.

However, if she was not smiling, and/or backing away, I think it would be clear both to the offender and to potential helpers that help was desired.

Those are just my thoughts. Does that make sense?

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: iain robb on October 13, 2011, 06:19:19 AM
However, if she was not smiling, and/or backing away, I think it would be clear both to the offender and to potential helpers that help was desired.

Amen.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

There are quite a few of us Faire brothers & Uncles about at TRF... All our lasses have to do is yell "Peanut butter" and they'll have large, burly types coming to the rescue. I don't care how drunk you are... the sight of a 6'4" 250lbs Scot, with a blackthorn in hand, bearing down on you, will sober you up real quick.  Multply that by four to six and most will beat a hasty retreat... if they have ANY sense they will.  ;)

*The LEOs won't be far behind...*

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Kiss-me-Kate

Peanut Butter is a great safe word.  There are lots of Fest Uncles about at any faire I think.   Speaking as a mother of a petite 15 year old, THANK YOU!
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

dreamwalker

I've luckily never had a guy be inapropriate with me. However the other ladies in my small clan would come running just as a Ren brother/uncle would. First day I'm well armed so I'm not worried. I've had clear admirers and thats all fine, I find it flattering :) But someone covered in celtic warrier get up pianted blue with 5 pieces of leather armour dosen't hurt. If worse came to worse you could yell or holler and someone would come running.

I plan to take my neice to Ren Faire when she's older, so this is what I have to look forward to. Probably get a riot act talk from BIL lol.
Normal? What's that?