News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Libations

Started by Orphena, September 13, 2011, 01:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Can anyone let me know what type of liquids might be available to fill one's tankard with at Maryland Ren Faire? Is there Meade available? (What kind, and is it good?) Is there a "tavern" that is reckoned to be the most popular? Is it acceptable to bring in a (full) flask? Is there a lot of variety in choices available? Can one purchase alcohol, and wander the faire while enjoying it? Thanks!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

SethB

Beer, wine, and mead are available and you can walk with your drink. There are several taverns on site, and musical entertainment rotates through. Outside alcohol is not permitted.

Village Idiots - Kevin

I'm personally a big fan of Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. But that's just me... As for what tavern's...well, my show is at two of them. We're at the Boars Head at noon, and the White Hart at 1:30 and 3:00. The White Hart seems a bit rowdier, in a good way. :)
Kevin Starnes
Artistic Director
The Village Idiots
http://www.rennieidiots.com

SethB

Quote from: GoodyTombShoes on September 13, 2011, 05:41:40 PM
The mead is a nice oaky meade. The beer is a blend of local and national brands and the soda is soda.
I didn't see any local brews this year, like Fordham.

Queen Maggie

Please note that no drinks are allowed to be brought in, per liquor license regulations (unless medically necessary) Also note; free chilled water is provided by the faire at first aid, and can be purchased for  a reasonable amount, bottled, at all soda stands.
Queen Maggie
wench#617, Bard #013
aka Mistress Mannerly, Goodlief Bailey, Cousin Undine Mannerly, Mother Lowe

Orphena

Thanks for the information, all! Can we bring water in - or are we encouraged to buy it all? I like to be able to drink quite a bit of water (in between my mead!)
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

will paisley

Quote from: Orphena on September 14, 2011, 10:01:51 PM
Thanks for the information, all! Can we bring water in - or are we encouraged to buy it all? I like to be able to drink quite a bit of water (in between my mead!)

In the past, water bottles have been banned by security, primarily because of the issue with outside alcohol (much easier and less time consuming to keep it from coming in than to hold up the line searching for signs of a bottle being resealed).  We used to carry Gatorade in (because it wasn't sold at faire), then switched to bringing in packets of Gatorade powder and buying the water at faire just to avoid the hassle.

There are four sit-down taverns and a wine garden, as well as other walk-up places to buy beer, cider and mead.  The White Hart and the Boar's Head both have stages, and O'Shucks has musicians performing amongst the patrons.  The Dragon and the White Hart are the ones most favored by the "regulars". In my not-so-humble opinion, the pub sing at the White Hart at 6PM is an absolute must see.  Imagine a combination of Rocky Horror and a pagan gospel revival meeting via shanty singing. Better yet, just show up and see if you can figure out a good way to describe it (I've been trying for the last ten years and still haven't found a way).
Minstrel, Interrupted, Bard #400 (CD)
Faire Name: "Flo's Husband"
Yeoman-Purser of the Frigate Up Royally