News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fire and fire accessories

Started by sloth, September 13, 2011, 03:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sloth

Since my home faire is TRF and we are not allowed to have fires on the ground, I am on a hunt for a firepit of some sort.  I was interested in seeing what others use at their site to shed a little light and keep their toes toasty when camping at faire.  Do you use a firepit?  Portable one?  Amish one?  Do you make your own?  Let's share (read: brag) a little!

Trillium

Unfortunately, at this point I don't know that TRF will even allow firepits this year  :P :P but that is what we have used in the past.
Got faerie dust?

sloth

Oh, I know.  I'm hoping for the best though.  There have been a few years in the past where they thought there was going to be a fire ban and then we got dumped with a ridiculous amount of rain.  My fingers are crossed for this (though its looking unlikely).  I'm trying to err on the side of last minute hurricanes hitting Houston.

batninja

I bought a portable firepit from Target last year, stows behind the seat in my truck.  But if we get onsite early enough, we always 'rent' one of the 55-gallon drum bottoms instead from the Snack Shack, so I don't have to clean up my personal one.
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Aiacha

Quote from: batninja on September 14, 2011, 07:04:55 AM
I bought a portable firepit from Target last year, stows behind the seat in my truck.  But if we get onsite early enough, we always 'rent' one of the 55-gallon drum bottoms instead from the Snack Shack, so I don't have to clean up my personal one.

I didn't know they rented them?  How much?

batninja

I can't remember for certain, but I think they rented for $20 for the weekend last year.  If you return it back to the Shack when you leave, you get $5 back.  We always just leave them at the campground and forfeit the $5; they bring a trailer around Monday to collect 'em all up again.

They also sell fire starter logs and wood bundles.  It's best to get there early Friday, as the drum bottoms go quick!
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

DonaCatalina

TRF is still weighing the fire issue and has said that they will make an official announcement soon.
It has been hinted to me that only charcoal cooking fires inside covered grills might be the only apparati allowed.

But please keep checking TRF's facebook page for their official announcement.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: DonaCatalina on September 15, 2011, 10:51:19 AM
TRF is still weighing the fire issue and has said that they will make an official announcement soon.
It has been hinted to me that only charcoal cooking fires inside covered grills might be the only apparati allowed.

But please keep checking TRF's facebook page for their official announcement.
I do hope they allow gas grills and stoves, but I shall abide by whatever the powers that be decide. 
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Aiacha on September 15, 2011, 12:54:43 PM
ravic posted a seperate thread about this...

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=16246.new#new

I saw that and while they did not specifically exclude gas stoves and grills, they did not include them either.  But as Coleman lanterns are banned, I will assume gas stoves and grills are also.
Better safe than charred...
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Aiacha

That's what I'm thinking.  I would like a little more clarity on that, but until then I'm going to see what we can do around this.  I mean coleman lanterns, while more enclosed, are more prone to falling than a stove on a table.

While I'm good without fire for the first few weekends, but once it gets cold I would really like the oportunity to cook hot meals. 

DonaCatalina

TRF has updated their list and Ravic has posted that propane cooking is allowed.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

sloth

well, at least camp stoves are allowed now.  looks like we'll have to find new ways to light our campsites.

Aiacha

Quote from: batninja on September 15, 2011, 07:17:09 AM
I can't remember for certain, but I think they rented for $20 for the weekend last year.  If you return it back to the Shack when you leave, you get $5 back.  We always just leave them at the campground and forfeit the $5; they bring a trailer around Monday to collect 'em all up again.

They also sell fire starter logs and wood bundles.  It's best to get there early Friday, as the drum bottoms go quick!

That's really interesting.  I may keep that in mind...for next year.  ;-)

dragongirl

Quote from: sloth on September 17, 2011, 08:14:10 AM
well, at least camp stoves are allowed now.  looks like we'll have to find new ways to light our campsites.

Coleman and Wally's World have many different styles and sizes of battery operated lanterns.  But if you perfer the candle or real flame look, get the flamless pillers and tea lights.  That's what we use at Pennsic in our tents so we don't light them on fire.
Lady Hermina Dolores De Pagan
Captain of the Tres Flores
Sailing with Ye Pyrate Brotherhood

sloth

Quote from: dragongirl on September 19, 2011, 08:04:00 AM

Coleman and Wally's World have many different styles and sizes of battery operated lanterns.  But if you perfer the candle or real flame look, get the flamless pillers and tea lights.  That's what we use at Pennsic in our tents so we don't light them on fire.

oh, i definitely have my stock of coleman lanterns, but i've found they don't light the campsite enough for me.  in the years before we built a fire at our site, we always just sit mostly in the dark and just lit by a few lanterns.  not so much fun.  i'm thinking solar powered christmas lights this year to start with.  definitely going to take your advice on going to walmart to see what else i can scrounge up.

Sir Edward

You can make a fire pit almost out of any thing. I have one that was made out of an old L&G tank one of the big ones. My grandfather made it. I now use it at the fairs that have camping and allow camp fires that can't be on the ground. I have even modified it so I can cook off of it you are not the only one that is crossing their fingers for a lot of rain to come.the farmers almanac is almost never wrong so all we can do is hope and pray.