News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Shaping feathers?

Started by Lady Anna, June 18, 2008, 07:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Anna

I was wondering if anyone knows how to shape feathers for a hat. For example to make them curve more over the back or to the side etc.. Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance.  ;D
Lady Anna

Taffy Saltwater

For ostrich feathers, make an indentation w/the edge of a butter knife across the bottom of the rib about every inch or so.  I've not had much success shaping coque, peacock, etc. feathers.  http://www.lynnmcmasters.com has good directions.  The better the plume, the better the shaping. I like big wing feathers myself.
Sveethot!

verymerryseamstress

Align a length of wire along the feather quill, then carefully buttonhole stitch (Loop, knot.  Loop, knot.  etc.)  the wire in place.   Wiring works better on fluffy ostrich plumes, rather than tight, rigid feathers.

Here is an excerpt from a vintage millinery website that explains it better than I can:

"If you wish to apply the feather in such a way that is cannot retain its pose without some support, you may have recourse to wires. You may sew a fine, firm wire to the underside of the quill, but be sure that the wire matches the plume as closely as possible. Cut the wire before reaching the tip or head so that this part may fall softly and loosely. Secure the wire firmly to the stem at the root of the feather by twisting tie wire around it. The wire should be secured to the quill with small buttonhole stitches.

When wired in the manner above explained, the ostrich plume can be curved in any way desired—and it will keep its curve despite the angry attempts of the wind to blow it out of place."

The link to the site:  http://vintagesewing.info/1920s/28-mhd/mhd-11.html
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

Taffy Saltwater

Wonderful directions - I'll be bookmarking this. Thanks!
Sveethot!

Once Debauched

I use steam and lots of it.

I have a small steam iron - one of the little plastic ones you can pickup at Walgreens.  When it starts to steam I hold the shaft of the feather over the steam until it warms.  As the shaft warms it becomes more pliable.  The warmer the easier it is to bend.  When you find the shape you like allow the shaft to cool and it will hold.

I've damn near put horseshoe bends in some of my feathers using this technique, but it is a gradual process that requires a bit of patience.

Good Luck!
IWG  #3527 Local 29
IFRP #1228 Loblolly Lass, HMS Lying Bastard
FOKTOP
ROoL #29
Tequila:  The interactive shot

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Patience indeed needed to curl each feather to look vintage over time.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde