News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

TRF Fire Ban - Please Read

Started by ravic, September 15, 2011, 12:27:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravic

All this should make Mouse rest easier.  :)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Well... it's manifold cooking this year, i guess.

You would think that camp stoves would be ok... as long as the side & back shields are in place.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

Ravic is the camping info listed for all camp areas? I am looking and the TRF website and don't see anything posted about the paid camping area.... yet.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Glaodian

Quote from: FaeHollow on September 15, 2011, 02:57:56 PM
I'm fine with people smoking. It is a free country.. go ahead smoke it up... but be a responsible smoker! :D

I agree with you 100%.  All smokers need to be reponsible.  And the ones who dont, need to be slapped.   :D
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

LadyJessica

It's a rumor for right not but it's believed that the fire burning in George Bush Park on the west side of Houston may have been started by a cigarette thrown out the window as it started by the road that runs through it.  When I did smoke I was in the habit of throwing them out the window until I started a small fire in the front yard of the house I was renting...after that I would put them out in as best I could and throw the butts away later.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

ravic

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on September 15, 2011, 04:49:01 PM
Ravic is the camping info listed for all camp areas? I am looking and the TRF website and don't see anything posted about the paid camping area.... yet.

Bonnie, what I posted is supposedly for everyone.

FaeHollow

My question is why SHOULDN'T it be for the patron camp too? What gets me is yes participants are closer to the actual faire and us having fire is a bit more risky but why won't you let the people you trust to work for you have fire and let all the patrons whom you do not know or trust have fire.... so strange to me. If it is banned then it should be banned. That pesky tree line isn't much of a safeguard from fire in this drought. That said... not having fire at camp SUCKS. And as a participant my first year I was up in arms. If I were a patron I'd be pissed cause it gets so dark out there. But trust me... it isn't the end of the world to have no fire. You can in fact survive without it.
Leigh

Betty Munro

I'd be rather more pissed to be woke up at 3am with my tent on fire.  The fire ban is needed when the entire environment is kindling.

eloquentXI

This is going to make things really interesting, when we invade...I know we're going to all have to chip in for some type of electronic something for us to cook on....if we're even able to. :-\

Faire not burning is the priority and I am all for the protection of one of our beloved shires, so please don't take it the wrong way. The fires have been horrible and I am all for the prevention of them. The fire ban is a wonderful thing and I have no problem sticking my boot up some dip sticks rear if they don't deposit of their cigerette properly...

But the lack of fire could very possibly keep me and mine from coming down the first weekend of November. If the temperatures are low enough and we don't have that source of heat, then it's just not going to be an option. We're a bunch of college kids so we don't have generators and other nifty technological gadgets to keep us toasty during the colder nights.

I guess...we'll just pray for massive amounts of rain sometime between now and then.  :-\
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

SolRac

Looks like my MRE's will come in handy this year.

Valeria Skyye

Oooo I forgot all about the box of MRE's I still have in the pantry! Can you say hot meal!!!

I am going to go to walmart and buy them out of handwarmers.. those things work great to warm your bed up before you go to sleep at camp and if you stick them in your socks when you go to bed you stay toasty warm all night!
Co-founder and member of Clan Dragonass
Member Clan McLotofus

fireworks guy

Fireworks are a danger anytime, that is why city and festival shows are done by professional pyrotechnicians. I myself was on the Houston Fourth of July show this year as well as another fireworks display in Sugarland, Texas. Both were done during the state wide burn ban, during the drought and with the cities and fire departments in agreement. Both displays were done safely and without incident.

In situations like these a ground based show in the safest area possible with the usual fire supression equipment does the trick.

Just to let you guys know that fireworks aren't some "uncontrolable monster" that should be "put down".
"Whining is just anger forced through a small hole."

Blue66669

Hiya, Alan. We keep running into each other LOL!
Blaidd Drwg

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

MRE's are a good option but with a bit of know how and a hot manifold, you can have a gourmet dinner without having it be a bit on the bland side...

*I've cooked everything from pot roast to lasagna on a manifold*  ;) ;D
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Bonny Pearl

My curiosity is based more on how security is going to patrol such a massive area to make sure everyone complies with all of the items on that list.  From what I've always understood the participant area usually has stricter rules to begin.  So I was just wondering.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88