News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How does this sound?

Started by Mairte, October 05, 2011, 01:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

Well, this year I didnt spend as much as I was going to on garb because of family things coming up. I DID get a gold colored chemise with a burgundy jaquard(?) overdress.
So, starting on a couple more costumes. Buying two chemises (one turquoise and one wheat) with black lace on the turquoise and cream lace on the wheat.
To go along with that, two cincher belts. For the turquoise, thin stripes of black and white and for the wheat, a reddish/gold cincher.
How do you think this will look?
After I get these, I am also going to be looking at a couple of overskirts to match.
Then accessories as I can get them.
I am not able to spend a ton but I think I am doing well and staying within my budget! :)
Wow....I got addicted to garb/accessories within the blink of an eye! :D

DonaCatalina

They sound ok to me. I recommend taking the combos into natural sunlight and see how they look to you.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

I think it sounds great, but I'd recommend getting four pieces that all work *together,* so you can switch them up for different looks. Are the cinchers reversible? That's even better! Right now it sounds like you could only wear the turquoise chemise with the b&w cincher. Maybe consider something with more colors in the fabric/s, so it will go with all your chemises. Later on you can pull in more of those colors for your skirts, as well. My first bodice was reversible, from this to this, and I was able to get endless looks out of it. OTOH, I made a gorgeous pink damask corset, and it pretty much has just the one look right now.

Mairte

The cinchers are reversible....if I dont choose, the reversible will be black...so I am thinking it's going to benefit me to choose some colors that would go well with at least one of the chemises.
Good idea! :)
Also about the natural sunlight, I didnt think of that either. :)

isabelladangelo

I'm a little against just the waist cinchers with a chemise only because it always looks a bit dumpy to me.  You might want a short vest to go with it or some sort of cropped jacket if you stick with waist cinchers rather than a bodice.   

Mairte

I HAD considered a cropped jacket....not considering the chemises and cinchers an "outfit" by themselves, just pieces of a whole. :)
I do plan on investing in a good bodice at some point as well.
I only wish I could do it all at once! ;D

operafantomet

You should definitely consider making the skirt yourself - because it is really, really easy - and rather spend eventual money on a bodice, vest or similar. Because I agree with Isabella that a cincher and a chemise more often than not give a bulky result.

Reversible cincher is a very good tip!

isabelladangelo

Rather than buy two cinchers and two chemises, why not buy one chemise and a bodice?   It would most likely work out to the same price.   As Operafantomet pointed out, skirts are ridiculously easy to make yourself.