News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who's going when?

Started by theChuck, June 18, 2008, 11:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: theChuck on August 09, 2008, 02:54:22 PM
oh man, it's so nice out. i wish i had gone today. :[

I know, it was a perfect day! I'm going back Sunday lol

Jay Byrd

I went on Sat, the 8th, what a beautiful day.  It was warm but not too hot.  Anice cool breeze every now and then, it was great.  An excellent day for Faire.

Brother Donald,  I walked by and saw you.  You were telling stories.  We listened for awhile then were going to come back.  Next thing I knew it was time to go.  Time sure flies when you're having Faire.   Hopefully I'll get to talk to you next time.

Brother Robert of Essex

Well my friend bailed on me Saturday, so I didn't go. I feel too weird going totally alone! I need at least one person to hang around lol.  But I roped someone into going Sunday so off we went. Another great day. I got to see more shows this time - having been a bit better planned - but I still missed most of the Robin Hood vs Sheriff story. I want to go one day and just follow all the scenes of them from start to finish. 

Also..did anyone see the Ninja..lol

laedyfaire

hmm.. we were there sunday also, but missed the ninja. when we first started going we would follow the story line throughout the day. it is fun. now we mostly follow the music around. our faves are the mystic minstrels. have you seen them yet?

did you stay for the pub sing? we were there. it was a great day, weather wise. the crowd seemed pretty good too..large, but not overwhelming.

theChuck

two things:

1. laedyfaire, any tips on prepping for the pub sing? i know the usual drinking songs, but perhaps not everything they sing...

2. i was thinking of heading up in either late august or early september. maybe we can plan to all meet up then?
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: laedyfaire on August 11, 2008, 02:56:45 PM
hmm.. we were there sunday also, but missed the ninja. when we first started going we would follow the story line throughout the day. it is fun. now we mostly follow the music around. our faves are the mystic minstrels. have you seen them yet?

did you stay for the pub sing? we were there. it was a great day, weather wise. the crowd seemed pretty good too..large, but not overwhelming.

Yeah the Ninja was at the Sheriffs Chess Game and had his picture taken with Robin hood later - which was pretty funny to see. He was very seriously about his Ninja-ness though.

I was at the pub sing, I was standing on the side, right where Robin Hood was giving drinks to the guy in chains being brought in lol. 

I wish I could understand the lyrics but I catch all the words to that last song they do. All I understand is "if you haven't been out on a Saturday night you haven't been out at all"

I try to stay to the very end, I like the pub sing at the end!

I will be returning on Saturday - I think I should by the season pass though , paying each weekend is adding up fast lol

Brother Robert of Essex

Quote from: theChuck on August 11, 2008, 03:50:22 PM
two things:

1. laedyfaire, any tips on prepping for the pub sing? i know the usual drinking songs, but perhaps not everything they sing...

2. i was thinking of heading up in either late august or early september. maybe we can plan to all meet up then?

Meeting sounds good - What do you garb as Chuck?   I wonder if I've seen you all before but just never realized it was you lol.  I probably have I spend the whole day at that place.

Has anyone thought about trying out for the Journeyman thing?

theChuck

heh. i just have a green doublet and black pants and boots. nothing out of the ordinary, really. :/

i heard that song when i was there the other week; turns out it's a much dirtier song than the one they sing.

laedyfaire

my daughter and i have had that song stuck in our heads since sunday..that and the one philip hole sang..not the words though..thank goodness! :)

thechuck..the only thing i would suggest to do to prepare for the pub sing is to have a drink! :) their songs are pretty random, some are the old stand bys and some are new.

lord robert..buy the queens pass.. we would not do the journeyman thing b/c it is too much of an obligation. maybe if we were younger and lived closer. sounds like fun though.

sat. we are heading down with our oldest son, his wife and the grandchildren and her parents, so it will be their call as to what we do. we will most likely be at the pub sing though.

Brother Robert of Essex

Well for my first venture into the realm of garbing I'm sticking with a simple robe.

I look at some of the outfits people wear and wonder just how much they spend on this stuff. I mean I saw some really incredible outfits worn.  Just based on the prices I see online and at the shops for stuff..  $50 for pants.. $120 for boots.. $30-100 for a pouch, $50 for a belt, $40-$80 for a shirt, $150 for a cloak.. Not to mention the tankards, pins, bracers, and other little trinkets - and forget about it when you get into armor and swords!

I can only guess what the women must be paying for their outfits lol

Well I will be there Saturday, hopefully can get a friend to come with me.  So if I see you nowhere else I will certainly be at the pub sing!

I just spotted a wet chemise contest on the schedule too LOL!!  Spring Break in the renaissance? I have to go see that ! LOL!

theChuck

robert: i don't meant to be a buzzkill, but unless you've got a lot of cash just kicking around, id advise you not to jump into the deep end on this. those prices are somewhat correct, but you can do better, especially if you're just starting out. for example, i don't really think you need a cloak in addition to all the other stuff; it's gonna be really heavy and during the summer it might be excessive.

my advice would be to really sit down and figure out what sort of look you're going for.

Brother Robert of Essex

Oh I know, it's way too expensive for clothes I'd only be wearing a few weekends out of the year LOL.  I will build it up slowly. Though in the beginning I'm going to look pretty pathetic with my half-unauthentic garb collection lol

Great song link - now I finally understand what they are saying LOL