News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First Time Visitor - What Not to Miss?

Started by Bob of the Lake, September 22, 2011, 07:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucid

Tartanic huh?  Are they like Tartan Terrors at all?  Sounds nice.

Oh, wait... not seeing them on the writ this weekend either.  Back to the drawing board...

Unfortunately, Bob, there are not nearly as many things "not to miss" at PARF these days as there once was.  You're about 2 years late.
Insert Clever Comment Here

kcdcchef

Quote from: Lucid on October 07, 2011, 02:46:06 PM
Tartanic huh?  Are they like Tartan Terrors at all?  Sounds nice.

Oh, wait... not seeing them on the writ this weekend either.  Back to the drawing board...

Unfortunately, Bob, there are not nearly as many things "not to miss" at PARF these days as there once was.  You're about 2 years late.
[/quote

Lucid, as someone who goes to faires all over the country, and participates in many discussions about many of them ( KCRF, MNFR, PARF, VARF, PRF, etc, etc ) I can tell you EVERYONE feels the same about their faire and it's management, losing all the fun stuff!!!

PARF still has PLENTY of can't miss things. An amazing finale in song, sultry sirens are AWESOME, trial and dunk if they are doing it this year is funny as hell, sadly Ceann woulda been there, sadly, and the last joust is the best joust anywhere, at dark, with all the fire. AWESOME show.

regarding tartanic, similar to tartan terrors, more music, less acting. funny though.

Lucid

I don't see what those people in the other forums are complaining about, because apparently, they've stolen all our good acts.  Their faires must be amazing by now!   ;)  Maybe I should take a road trip and catch one of them instead.

Acts have come and gone over time.  I get that.  Great ones would always come along and fill in the gap, and things wouldn't miss a beat.  In fact, I'd come to find that I'd like the new ones better than the ones that left.  They did a great job of replacing talent.  But these past 2-3 years now that's changed.  I'm not seeing the quality return vs. what's lost now.  The past couple years I've gone there with less & less things circled on my writ as "must sees", and this year my writ practically has no ink on it at all.  And going to the faire for me is one of those quintessential moments in my year... a day I really look forward to, and I don't get many of them.  Now I question whether or not it's even worth it anymore. 

kcdcchef

my point is everyone at every faire bitches and moans about how their faire "used to be". don't act like it's indigenous to PARF, it ISN"t!!! I hear this all the time from everyone about their faire, on all the boards, complaining about acts leaving and their faire isn't as great as it once was. faires are expensive to run, and they have the same goal you have, to make money.

Lucid

Well letting all of your best draws walk doesn't seem like the best way to make money to me, but what do I know.  The end-all/be-all of my existence isn't making money.  I'm not that shallow.

I notice you don't really refute anything I say.  I'm just not supposed to "belch" about it because people don't want to acknowledge this uncomfortable truth.  Acts always come and go, but in the past were always replaced with equal (or better) talent.  No longer the case.  But hey, I'm glad the people running this outfit are getting these new acts for a bargain basement price so they can maximize their profits.  The problem is, you usually get what you pay for.  And after people start leaving Mt. Hope with inferior experiences to what they've had in the past they might reconsider wasting their time & money to bother returning.  And I'm not some nostalgic old fool.  I'm still young.  I'm saying this because it's absolutely accurate, and I think every PARF regular knows it.  Whether they admit it or not is another thing entirely, and there's too much blind loyalty and company line pitching to get an honest retort about it in here.  PARF has fallen apart the past few years.

And I don't recall stating this problem is exclusive to PARF.  It's become a national phenomenon, unfortunately... people more concerned with the short term bottom line on a balance sheet, oblivious to the big picture.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Lucid on October 07, 2011, 06:46:37 PM
  PARF has fallen apart the past few years.

Not really. Attendance is still stable where it always was. There attendance the past few seasons is consistent with where it always was. That was online last winter in the news.

The end-all/be-all of my existence isn't making money.  I'm not that shallow.

Neither is mine. I just feel that they are trimming acts that cost the most money, so they can afford more acts and put more money in lane acts. Tartan Terrors are a huge example of this. Although I love and miss the TT, here is a reality check. They were VERY expensive and didn't interact on the lanes the way a lot of acts do, they really hung around the Globe most all day, talking to people. Nothing wrong with this, but they can get an act cheaper that will interact more and be popular, eventually. I think they erred in losing the Terrors, I do. I miss them so much it isn't even funny and feel it is the best act ever there, but understand it. Their goal, like yours, is to make enough money to be solvent. I wasnt implying they are trying to get rich, because I don't feel they are getting rich off PARF.

And after people start leaving Mt. Hope with inferior experiences to what they've had in the past they might reconsider wasting their time & money to bother returning.   

Hasn't happened lately. In fact, crowds are still strong there.

But hey, I'm glad the people running this outfit are getting these new acts for a bargain basement price so they can maximize their profits.   

They may or may not be doing this, not sure. However, ask the folks at the Pittsbugh Renaissance Festival or the Virginia Renaissance Festival how smart it is to spend a ton on your acts. Virginia lost their grounds and had to start all over. Pittsburgh went out of business COMPLETELY. I think PARF is in fact trying to remain solvent.

I notice you don't really refute anything I say.   

Shall I refute anything more, or are we square with the house now?

Rogue Hidesmith

I did like the Terrors, but their acts were stale year to year (2005-2009 at least). Hopefully they'll be back someday with an updated shtick :)
If you can do a halfassed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind. - Kurt Vonnegut
IBRSC #1603

kcdcchef

Quote from: Rogue Hidesmith on October 09, 2011, 06:39:05 PM
I did like the Terrors, but their acts were stale year to year (2005-2009 at least). Hopefully they'll be back someday with an updated shtick :)

I never had this issue with the Terrors, every season I saw at least one new number in their act. By comparison, other long term acts out there have the same issue, Sultry Sirens, same show, Damian Blade, Ceann ( before tragically losing it's lead singer ) would always tease with new albums, but play same ole' same ole'.

So what SHOULD I see in 2011? Give me your thoughts, anything new that is awesome?