News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Keeping your sewing gear in top shape?

Started by Adriana Rose, September 23, 2011, 03:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I know that this has been discussed before in other threads. But I cannot find it.

So I know that we all keep our sewing gear safe from those who want to open heavy plastic shells with the precious sewing shears, Hide the pin cushion from pillaging cats and toddlers. But how do you keep it in top shape?

Like keeping pins sharp? Shears keen edged?

All those questions could be helpful for those who are new to sewing and those like me who forget some of the wisdom that is shared here.

So please share your secrets if you want to.  :D

Hoowil

With pillaging cats a toddlers outnumbering me, except for large items like the machine, most of my supplies tend to dissapear before wearing out. The rest, for some reason, the kids like to open and spill into my bins, and since I've not cleaned out the strata of stuff, alot of it has been considered 'lost' and replaced. I really should gather the bins, and sort the mass of junk before I get anything else.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Kate XXXXXX

Like keeping pins sharp?

You don't.  They are consumables, like needles.  When they get blunt or damaged, chuck and replace.

Shears keen edged?

With one of these:   and one of these for small scissors:

If they try to use my scissors for anything not fabric cutting, I first threaten to chop their fingers off and then make them pay for replacements when they damage them.  £30 for a pair of scissors makes them think a bit.

Trillium

My boy and my hubby know not to touch my sewing stuff when its out.  I put it all away when not in use.  My scissors stay in my sewing box and they have SEWING ONLY written on them in black sharpie.
Got faerie dust?

ArielCallista

Totally agree on the scissors info. I own about 30 pairs of things considered "scissors" Make sure it is public information which scissors can be used for anything and which are NEVER to be touched by anyone but you. I suggest having 3 pairs of scissors for fabric only use...1 for heavy weight fabrics that tend to dull scissors quickly...1 standard pair for medium weight things, and one for sheers and very lightweight things. That last pair needs to be kept awesome...otherwise it won't cut smoothly and it can be very frustrating. If you are evr cutting fleece or felt, don't use your fabric scissors cuz felt and fleece just love to wreck scissors...When you cut thick  things with scissors it tends to push the blades apart and then they wont touch to cut lightweight things
Things are shaping up to be...
Pretty. Odd.

Betty Munro

Oil your machine.  You have heard the saying, "runs like a well oiled machine".  I am convinced that refers to sewing machines.  I use a syringe and needle to get at the hard to reach places.  If you don't have your sewing machine user's manual, and can't get it online, just look for screws on the back of your machine, open it up, and put a drop of sewing machine oil on every joint that moves.  (The fabric stores sell special sewing machine oil.)  You probably need to oil your machine a lot more often than you think.  I oil mine about every other garment. 

LadyStitch

The PP already knew that you don't mess with a seamstress's shears, but after he got his own shears he realized WHY they are nuts about their sissors.  The PP knows better so he doesn't touch them unless he is using them on fabric.   As for pins, they have their own bins that go back in the sewing basket.  The PP has his own box of pins and he uses them.  If there is anything I don't want my nieces and nephews to get into it is in a cabinet that I can lock, just in case. They know not to touch other people stuff but better safe than sorry.   

Honestly the best way to keep pets and kids from getting in your stuff, PUT IT AWAY!  I keep my pins not in a cushion but in a lockable box, so it won't pop open and spill.  Sissors are put back in the sewing basket.  Projects are in their ziplock bags/ bins. I only get out what I can put away in 15 minutes. When I'm done I run a quick swipe with either the broom or vacume to make sure they aren't any surprises on the carpet or floor.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.