News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dogs at Faire?

Started by Alexandra Johanna, September 25, 2011, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandra Johanna

A friend in another state was going to a small, local renaissance faire and wanted to bring her dog. Knowing my love for faire, she asked if I knew if dogs were generally acceptable.  However, I have only been to Bristol in WI and I know they are not allowed there, so I really didn't have an answer for her other than to contact the faire.  Since joining these forums and seeing so many wonderful photos from faires across the country, I have noticed there are dogs allowed at some faires.  I have dogs of my own, Siberian Huskies. They are well used to strangeness and crowds because they have competed in shows and obedience trials. One is very wolfy looking in her coloration and I thought it would be fun to put together a northern barbarian costume and bring my "wolfy" dog to a faire some day.

Which now has me wondering, does anyone know off hand of any faires in the midwest that do allow patron's dogs on the grounds? I'd like to start visiting more faires next year and it would be much easier if we were able to bring the dogs with us.

As a side note: Does anyone know of a schedule for faires around the country that is listed by date? I tried the upcoming faires link here but it just returned a blank page.

Thank you kindly!
Alexandra

Ferret

I'd check with any you consider and find out their rules in advance.

Minnesota Renaissance Festival allows dogs. I believe you have to check them in, provide rabies info, and they take the dogs picture.

Ferret

Ferret

Quote from: Ferret on September 25, 2011, 10:33:47 PM
I'd check with any you consider and find out their rules in advance.

Minnesota Renaissance Festival allows dogs. I believe you have to check them in, provide rabies info, and they take the dogs picture.

Ferret

http://www.renaissancefest.com/MRF/petpage.html   Complete rundown.

Ferret

LadyAsh

It would be best to check. Though, I think it would be interesting, and yet annoying if people brought their dogs. It all depends, however. Dogs that are used to crowds, noise, and the like could be a joy to have at faire. Though, there are some people who would also probably bring their unruly ones.
"Love can make a summer fly, or a night seem like a lifetime." -Andrew Lloyd Webber

Alexandra Johanna

Yup, I completely understand the concerns about having dogs in that kind of situation. I'm sure not only is there a liability issue in regards to the other patrons, but also the faire staff and resident animals as well. 

Minnesota is a good starting point, thanks for the advice! Its not too terrible of a drive for us, coming from N. IL.

Alexandra Johanna

Oh nice, looking at their info, they even have a special pet fest themed weekend event. And its an opportunity to see Twig in person. Yes, I can see MN will be in our future, hopefully next year!

Malcolm

The Greater St Louis Renaissance Faire is very dog friendly. From their Website:

Pets:
We are a pet friendly faire. All pets must be registered at the front gate prior to entry into our faire. Please bring bring proof of current vaccinations. All dogs must be leashed at all times. There is water available, so bring a travel dish. Wentzville City Ordinance requires Pitbulls and Pitbull Mixes to be muzzled and on a lead no longer than 4 feet.
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

Alexandra Johanna

Huzzah! Another one and also close by! Thank you!

jackrocks

We attended Michigan Pirate Festival in August, in Grand Haven. We took our two small dogs, bc we had no one to leave them with for one thing, for another, this is their first summer, and we try hard to expose them to lots of different situations so they are not growing up to be the type of dog who is scared of anything different...faire is great for that, they see other animals, people in weird (to them) dress, noises, etc, and its a great way to socialize. Also, I dressed my dogs up for the pet costume contest, and it was great to see so many people who got a kick out of it, esp my pirate yorkie:) brought joy to many little kids faces.

I didnt take them to MIRF, although I see on their website that I could have, just bc that was "our" day...no kids, and no dogs! lol

Captain Teague

We too are considering taking our dog to an occasional faire (Cane Corso Italiano ).

Some down here in the southern areas allow them anytime, others have a "Pet Day." Always best to check thoroughly. And any I have read up on will require papers and many will require a form signed assuring them they are not aggressive.

Do keep in mind it is a very long, very hot day for them. So be sure to bring a bowl along and extra amounts of water or be prepared to purchase (often pricy ) water. I would advise caution with costuming, make sure it also does not add to the heat.

They should be extremely socialized beforehand, as nearly everyone will want to see and pet the doggie. Sometimes even the most socialized will tire of it.

And be ever mindful and always watchful of anyone who has a phobia. Which happens anywhere. We were in Petsmart of all places and walked by a man who brought his wife along that had a phobia of large dogs. He absolutely loved him and invited us over so he could love on him, but she placed her shopping cart between us and nearly turned white. Of course I immediately removed him to a safe distance for her. But couldn't help thinking why in the world she would go into a place that encourages all sizes of pets... ???
The Code is the Law...

Mairte

I had considered taking a dog (Akita/Chow) to MNRF but though he is great with most people and has been well socialized, if they are frightend of him, he senses it and then all could go downhill real fast.
I guess it all depends on the dog but think a long time about it.

Rowan MacD

Have you checked the Directorie of Renaissance Faires? 

http://www.faires.com/

The listings sections give general info like location, dates, 'year' of the faire (if any),  pets allowed and weapons restrictions, points of contact for performers and vendors, etc.  A link to the faire's website is included if you need more info. 
  They are generally well maintained, but it depends on the owner of the faire to keep his page updated.  It's handy if I've never been to a particular faire before, or if I'm looking for other festivals in a specific region or area.   

The only drawback I have noticed is that the newer, smaller faires usually aren't on the site.

I have two Scotties that adore faire (and the attention they get there) but it's very hard to keep them from helping themselves to what ever snacks they find on the ground. 
  There is a very popular chocolate shoppe at DMRF featuring delicious frozen cheesecake on a stick, bananas and strawberries dipped in chocolate.  These frequently end up on the ground and as you know, chocolate and dogs do not mix.
  Last year our male scarfed a plastic toothpick, and since our little female is allergic to any number of things, we have decided not to take them anymore.  It's safer for them and less expensive (vet bills) for us.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Dinobabe

Quote from: Lord Dragon on September 26, 2011, 12:59:08 PM
Of course I immediately removed him to a safe distance for her. But couldn't help thinking why in the world she would go into a place that encourages all sizes of pets... ???

Because people who own fish, snakes, gerbils, cats, frogs, ferrets, etc. have to shop there, too! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Captain Teague

Good point. But another thing about it was, they were smack dab in the middle of the dog section.

Secretly, I get the feeling I need to blame hubby. One of those erroneous species thought patterns of "maybe if I can eeeease my significant other into it or around it, I can get one of XXXXXX too, cuz I want one. And if that was the case we are not amused, especially since he called us over and then acted fairly unconcerned at her distress.  :-\

Didn't mean to sound elitist or anything. All stores are for everyone. Was just a weird encounter and having a phobia or two myself have no wish to distress others with theirs. Like I said on another thread, the woman who decided without asking first that she needed a pic with the two of us and her...and Mr. SNAKE!!!!!  :o  :o  :o
If she had dropped that hand with the snake wrapped around it on MY shoulder instead of Lady Griffons......I am certain I would have totally and completely FLIPPED out.
Having felt that firsthand, I will definitely go out of my way NOT to expose others to their phobias that closely, anyway. Ten feet seems to be a fair comfort range for most. Snakes, 50 feet for me, though.  ;D   
The Code is the Law...

Dinobabe

The Boy ScoutMaster of our church's Troop is afraid of snakes.  But let me set the scene.  He is about 6'5", 250lb of pure muscle, booming voice, a rifle master, hunter, avid outdoorsman.  We were on a camping trip at Blanchard Springs, AR, walking down the creek.  This snake comes off of one bank to make his way to the other side.  The ScoutMaster totally flips!  I know Jesus walked on water but I didn't know the ScoutMaster could do it, too! :o  Then he starts throwing rocks at the snake.  Funniest thing I have EVER seen in my life! ;D

My grandparents had a dog I grew up with.  I knew her and trusted her.  There are very few dogs I am comfortable with but it mainly has to do with the owners and how they raised the dogs.  When people assume I like to be jumped on by an overexcited, slobbering dog, or that the dog growling and snapping at me is "just being playful" then I have a REAL problem.

I think the point is to be conscientious of other people and how they may not "like" the same things you do.  This goes with pets, religion, food, movies, anything you can think of.  It's all about respect.  The world would be a lot better off if we ALL could remember that (goes for me, too!).

Sorry if we highjacked your thread, Soulstice! ;)
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com