News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The joys of packing!

Started by Orphena, September 01, 2011, 04:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyStitch

Quote from: maeven on September 02, 2011, 10:28:29 AM
Quote from: LadyStitch on September 02, 2011, 09:58:15 AM
  I like having fresh bed linens to come home to after a long weekend at faire.  Also I will have a casserole, or such in the freezer, so that when we get home there is a meal I can toss in the oven and not worry about how to feed us when we get home.  I can just crash.
What awesome ideas! I'm going to have to try that when we go next time!
It was so nice when we went to New Zealand to come home to food, and clean bed after a 24 hour plane ride.  Also there is something about coming home to find your favorite PJ's laid out on a freshly laundered bed, and your favorite shampoo in the shower so you can was/ soak away the grime from the weekend.  And all it took was and extra 10 minutes to make sure it was in place before you left. 
When we had all heck break loose at TRF that weekend (trust me it was ALL weekend)  It could have been worse if we had not had some sort of planning in place.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Since we get home at 11 p.m. Sunday nights from faire (after a 3 hour ride), and I get up at 5 a.m. for work, I always have my next day's clothes laid out and what I'm going to bring for lunch in 1 place in the fridge on Sunday morning before we leave.

At 11 p.m., I don't want to be messing with that, and at 5 a.m., I'm usually pretty tired.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dbaldock

I'm sure that, in case of any little incidents, you all remember to pack your Bacon Shaped Bandages...  :o  ;)  ;D
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Sitara

Quote from: dbaldock on September 02, 2011, 12:22:26 PM
I'm sure that, in case of any little incidents, you all remember to pack your Bacon Shaped Bandages...  :o  ;)  ;D

My step-son actually keeps a tin of those in his fest pouch!
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

cowgrrl

I've worked hard the past few years on streamlining my packing.  I keep a bag in my carry-on that has toiletries & other essentials.  I don't have a set packing list but I do have a 'system'.  I choose 2 neutrals (usually black & grey) & 3 colors (usually purple, pink & orange) & pack items in those colors.  This way stuff can be mixed & matched & it all coordinates.  I also hit the accessories hard (especially the scarves) as they can help mix it up.  With this 'system' the entire family packed for a trip to Turkey for 10 days all in carry-ons (We did pack one checked bag with our coats).  I do make a list based on the system but its not hard & fast. 

For faire packing I tend to go with my stretch velvet Faire Paire dress & a bellydance costume.  Easy to pack & doesn't take up too much space.  My pirate garb is also an option if I do the oversized Ren Shirts top with black leggings & my pirate boots (which I'd probably wear on the plane if I were flying). 

Sir Michael Geare

Quote from: PhoenixRose on September 01, 2011, 04:40:59 PM
I always forget a toothbrush. No matter where I go, I always seem to forget one. I tried leaving one in my toiletry bag, but then the thought of it sitting there for a month before being used again grossed me out, so that didn't work too well for me.

I have packed the one I've been using at home and then discard it when I return from my faire trip.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

batninja

I plan EVERYTHING!  I'm a list-maker, too and have an extensive Excel spreadsheet with checkboxes.  It's laminated, so I can use a grease pencil to mark it off every year as the items get loaded into the truck.

I'll usually inventory everything a couple months out, in case I need to replace or repair anything.  Then I drag it all out again a couple weeks prior to departure.  As a matter of fact, it's all out on my dining room table RIGHT NOW.  :)

For garb, I tend to inventory it separately, as my stuff changes from year to year.  Which reminds me, I need to make a new belt!
:o

It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Kiss-me-Kate

LOVE this thread.   I usually start packing on Thursdays after I get home from grocery shopping.   We live close enough to our Fest that we can drive home after cannon every night., but some of your tips are great for when we travel to one out of area.   
Most of our toiletry stuff is also used for when we go to the lake, so most of it is in one general area, in one big box that I can throw directly in the trunk,
Our garb and acessories are in separate totes.  The Girl has her own.  She is in charge of packing her own stuff,

I usually pack up my backpack (real clothes, meds, sunblock, OFF!, booze, flasks, PASSES, headlamp/flashlight, etc.) on Thursday nights.  Since I don't go to fest without the backpack, it gets the necessary stuff crammed into it.   

Friday nights, I make food if it is my turn to cook at our shop, jello shots if time allows, and finish packing whatever I can that doesn't have to be refrigerated.
Saturday mornings, I throw the back pack, and cooler in the car and we are out the door.
Lather*rinse*repeat for Sundays.

Sunday evening we get home, I throw my fest wallet into my real purse, and leave the dirty clothes, unpakcing the cooler/car for Monday evening.  I am usually too exhausted to do anything Sunday evenings, and have to be up at 6:30 for work the next day.
Monday or Tuesday night, I check and refill the little pill holders, lotion/sanatizer/sunscreen bottles, baby wipes etc. to be thrown back into the back pack to finish packing on Thursdays.
This system works for us, although I might incorporate the dinners in the fridge/freezer for when we get home.  It sucks to be starving and way to exhausted to cook.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

DonaCatalina

Must not forget to pack fans for TRF closing weekend!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess