News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dogs at Faire?

Started by Alexandra Johanna, September 25, 2011, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Nicolette

My personal feeling is that unless you know for sure your dog really enjoys this kind of outing, or you work at the Faire, or you have permission to bring dogs to the site for the purpose of raising awareness of a rescue operation (ie the Greyhounds at CORF) or are training the dog for "helping" purposes, it's much easier on everyone for the dog to be left at home, especially in hot season faires.  Many dogs don't really like pressing crowd situations with sudden loud noises...a few handle it with aplomb. 

Please remember if you do bring your dog and it's hot, they only perspire from their tongues, noses and pads and all of their vital organs are spread out at nearly ground level where the heat rises.  They are much more susceptible to heat prostration, note that when watching sheepherding events, the dogs have a tub they can dunk their whole bodies into after performing their job.  Most dogs would rather you take them to the dog park for fun with you and other dogs than a Faire situation.  If you're going to MN, the Heart & Sole/Willing Soles booth has a doggie water bowl available.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Adriana Rose

CORF does not allow dogs except for the greyhounds and every now and then some bull mastiffs and service dogs. I have seen some people who have their dogs in backpacks to sneak them in. I have heard of the gate crew calling the police because some genius desided to bring fido along and it was a hot day.

I am in the please let them at home group. There are a ton of people and kids, noises and large animals. And it gets hot so let them hang out at home and sleep in the cool house.

Lady Nicolette

Thanks for the support, Adriana!  I know there are many people who think that because they love their dogs and they love Faire they should naturally go together.  I know of dogs that have died from going to Faire from heat stroke.  Love your pet and leave it at home.

Adriana Rose

I know that there a days I would rather be sitting at home in the cool then cooking at faire.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Only thing worse than bringing your dog to the faire in the heat is leaving the dog in the car while you go to faire.

Hopefully, none of us here are stupid enough to do that.

I've already called the police more than once in the Walmart parking lot when it's hot outside & I find a dog in a car with the windows partially rolled down.  The owners are ticked, but the pet is still alive.

I agree with Lady Nicolette.  I think people bringing their pets to faire is more for the human's enjoyment rather than the pet's.  I have golden retrievers and a golden retriever/yellow lab mix, and while each of my dogs loves people, other dogs, and children, the last thing we want to do is bring them to faire.  They wouldn't have fun like we do, and I wouldn't want to spend the time worrying about them.

For a rescue group to demonstrate, yes, because it brings an awareness to all the needy animals looking for homes, but to just go to faire along with their human, I am not a fan of that.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Nicolette

Yes, Renee, I shudder to think of that (the dog in the parked car scenario)!  I don't even take Beau in the car on errands when it's hot, I worry that if something completely unexpected happened to me he would be in a very vulnerable place. 

Rowan MacD

I never thought of that!
   I guess it's good that I don't take my dogs anywhere in the car with the intention of leaving them alone in there, period.   Even for a short time.  They leave copious nose prints on every window, and if they find a food wrapper, it's over.   Hard enough when I have to take them to the vet or take them to Petsmart to try on a new harness. 
   They love rides, mind you, but they are terriers first and they do not control their canine impulses well in strange surroundings.   When I travel with them they get to ride in crates, that way I can be sure they are firmly on a leash before they can get out of the car, and I can actually see through the windows after the first 30 minutes into the ride ^_^
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

irish

The only dogs that should be allowed at any faire, are service dogs.
Say 20 people, decided to bring their 'four legged' family member, on the very same day, it would become a 'doggie park', within a faire setting.
I believe Sterling has a 'no dog' policy, except for service dogs.
I for one, do not want to watch for 'doggie land mines' or wonder if where I am about to sit, was 'sprayed on'. You know there would be a 'spray off'! Lol!

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Alexandra Johanna

I understand all the concerns, believe me, I have the same on most occasions when I walk out the door. It saddens me to say that many dog owners that I meet shouldn't own a dog. My husband says I have become a "dog snob" even since getting involved with our Siberians.  But I have to be when I have precious puppies to find homes for (maybe every 4-5 years)!  Our dogs are well socialized and have been going to shows and competitions since they were pups. They are obedience trained (one is off lead trained, no small feat for a born to run Siberian!) and well used to crowds, loud noises, and strange equipment. I remember being in the show ring once with one of our girls at a local fairgrounds and a large industrial fan plummeted from the ceiling and came down with a deafening crash. Of course, it was exactly at the moment that the judge was examining my girl! She handled it well though, startled at the big noise but recovered quickly and went right back to working the ring like the show-off she is. This same dog has a natural affinity for therapy work with special needs kids, she just senses there is a difference there and her normal exhuberant nature becomes very calm and inviting. They have been raised around kids and cats as well. We also have them tested under the Canine Good Citizen program thru the AKC. The tests all center around how well they behave and react when out in public and with strangers. We usually do this test before we start formal obedience training, and they still pass with flying colors, just based on the training they receive at home to be good pet companions. I had a very real fear of dogs as a child after being bitten by a shepherd and I've worked really hard with my dogs to make sure they are a pleasure to have around. I also struggle with social anxiety and the dogs have helped immensely in getting past that.  Without the experiences I have had training and showing them, I doubt I would have the confidence to even walk out my front door in faire garb, much less talk to people at faire! LOL.

I was talking with the hubby last night more about this idea and he seemed very interested.  We have not had any kind of vacation in 10 years due to financial constraints, job schedules, and the cost of boarding multiple dogs (we've had up to 9 on the property at once over that time).  And we have brand new camping equipment that has never even left the boxes.  We're considering a trip up to the MN Faire in September next year, when temperatures have the best chance of being tolerable for humans and dogs alike. We would likely attend faire on Saturday as a test run. If it went well, we would return on Sunday, if not, we would find a state park for some hiking with the dogs instead.

Dogs in cars is a common sense thing, something that is become a rare commodity in today's world. Personally, I do it all the time.. I take multiple dogs to the training center so I can work one for an hour at show class and then the other for off lead obedience for the following hour. Or I take multiple dogs to a show site and they will also stay in the car when not in the ring if weather permits (its safer than having them crated in the grooming area where any wacko can get their hands on them (happened last year that another competitor poisoned someone's dog after a win). We don't do this in the summer, of course. But some states are now trying to pass a law that it is illegal to leave a dog unattended in a car, and I really don't think this is necessary. People should use their brains. If they don't have any, they shouldn't be responsible for another life in the first place.

kcdcchef

Soulstice, Kansas City Renaissance Festival is pretty darn big, almost as big as MN, and they do allow dogs. They photograph your pooch at the gate, check the vaccinations, and you are allowed to take your pooch around the festival. And it is a great experience for your pooch, almost a feast of the senes. All the foods to smell, all the other dogs butts for them to smell, it is great. I used to take my miniature schnauzer, all 10 pounds of him, and he would get in behind my leg and bark at the 100 pound dogs, it was great. The best part is almost everyone who brings their pooch knows how to manage their canine friends, so there aren't dogs just running around acting dumb.

Alexandra Johanna

Thanks for the info Kcdcchef.  KCRF is on my to do list too! I checked the websites of most of the larger midwest faires and it looks like, Minnesota, St. Louis, Michigan, and Kansas City all allow dogs with pretty much the same policy of registration, photo, fee at the gate.

kcdcchef

and it really is fun for the dogs, it really is. and again, most everyone who brings their dog are very expereicend with taking their dogs to events. not a lot of the hippy redneck white trash dog owner that lets their dogs run around crazy. too busy with nascar i guess!!!!

Alexandra Johanna

I'm sure my dogs would love it, they are pretty big hams. And since they would be portraying wolves, they wouldn't even need any costuming. I'll just have to prepare myself for the inevitable, "are those real wolves?" questions we'll no doubt get throughout the day. But we get those in every day life anyway, so I'm used to it. lol

Lady Nicolette

I'm sorry I come from an era when hippies and rednecks were two very distinct opposites.  And having lived in the south for many years, they still are.  "Hippy" Rednecks just don't have the money for a haircut, they are nothing like the real hippies were.  And never will be no matter how much they would aspire to it.  Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.  Back to topic, some dogs really do enjoy Faire, but most don't and shouldn't be subjected to it on the whim of the person in charge of their lives.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on September 27, 2011, 08:34:29 PM
I'm sorry I come from an era when hippies and rednecks were two very distinct opposites.  And having lived in the south for many years, they still are.  "Hippy" Rednecks just don't have the money for a haircut, they are nothing like the real hippies were.  And never will be no matter how much they would aspire to it.  Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.  Back to topic, some dogs really do enjoy Faire, but most don't and shouldn't be subjected to it on the whim of the person in charge of their lives.

as a long haired dude, I get mistook for a hippy or whatever you prefer from time to time. my favorite is when i go to the mall after work and get profiled as trouble or something, and get followed by mall security even though i make 2-3x what they do!