News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dogs at Faire?

Started by Alexandra Johanna, September 25, 2011, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stolenhalo6

My experience at the MNRF is that it is a popular place for people to bring their dogs.  I think too popular.  I've never run into a problem with a dog that was there with a rennie (cast or playtron), but in my humble opinion at least half of the dogs there with patrons shouldn't be there at all.  Last year I was attacked by two large dogs and one small dog.  In all three cases the dogs were showing signs of distress and aggravation but the owners were doing nothing about it.  And in all three cases I moved between the dogs and another person to keep that other person from being attacked (the other people hadn't noticed the danger from the dogs).  Thankfully the worst of it was a torn skirt.  This year I was there with a friend and her 3yo child.  After getting permission from the owner, the 3yo was petting a dog when the dog suddenly tried to attack a passing by dog.  The 3yo was in the line of fire and I had to quickly pick her up to keep her safe.  The owner then goes on to tell me how this will be his last weekend with the dog because they are giving it back to the rescue group because it attacks other dogs, including their own family dog.  Really?  So you bring this aggressive dog to a public place with HUNDREDS of other dogs and then let small children pet it?  Freakin' moron.

It really is a know your dog thing.  And don't be a complete moron.  Unfortunately, that is too much to ask of most people.

We're a dog family and our dogs are well socialized in public settings.  My suggestion would be this - if your dog will react in anyway whatsoever to any of the varied experiences it may encounter, don't bring it.  That's a pretty broad and sweeping statement, but it's probably the safest bet and the most enjoyable for everyone all around.

Rachel in "real life"
Wench #3893
Careful, she bites.

Merlin the Elder

Your experience is why dogs should not be allowed at faire. The problem isn't with the good dogs, and we all know that there are some really good, patient dogs that can handle the faire...the problem is with the bad owners who have no clue about their own pets. Since there is no way to segregate the intelligent from the stupid owners, they must all bear the restriction.

You also have to bear in mind that there are a LOT of people who are afraid of dogs. I wouldn't want to pay good money to go to faire only to be tripped up and yapped at by a bunch of dogs. The faire is not for dogs. If you want to make it for dogs, then dogs need to pay full price for entry PLUS costs of insurance AND be limited to a particular section of the faire. Human patrons should come first, not last.

I'm the opposite of BubbleWright, although I completely understand his point of view. I personally do not like small dogs around me. If it's not at least 50-60 pounds, keep it away from me.

I hate leaving my dogs at home when I travel, but I care for them far too much to take them to a faire.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

PollyPoPo

I have never owned a service animal or an entertainer animal which are specifically acclimatized to all types of strange humans and strangely behaving humans at that. 

Currently I have two mutts, yard dogs, whose main job it is to bark ferociously to discourage other animals from crossing the fence line, including strange humans.  Secondary job is to act as pillow cushions for grandchildren.  A stranger would need to think twice or three times or ten before entering uninvited.

Merlin, you might like the bigger, maybe 60 pounds of solid dog.  The smaller, maybe 40 pounds, Catahoula/shepherd mix, has been known to drop a grown man simply by body blocking at knee level and she just wanted a petting.

Would I bring either to Faire?  ABSOLUTELY NOT. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: PollyPoPo on November 07, 2011, 08:18:17 AM...
Merlin, you might like the bigger, maybe 60 pounds of solid dog.  The smaller, maybe 40 pounds, Catahoula/shepherd mix, has been known to drop a grown man simply by body blocking at knee level and she just wanted a petting....

hehe... The day I brought my Akita home, she and my Malamute were chasing each other through the house, playing. They knocked me over the sofa. The "little" one is over 100 pounds... Now when they chase each other, I just get out of the way.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on November 06, 2011, 01:08:12 AM
There is(or was) a service available once called houndstooth inn.  They would setup outside the gates of a rennfaire and you could board your dog for the day.  Rates were more than reasonable.  They had a big covered tent and portable cages for you furball.  They provided water, and would even walk the dogs.  I hope they are still in business and hopefully did well enough to expand and/or do many other faires.

The BLAKDUKE
I just love this idea!  It would be just the thing for the local humane society to set up to raise money.
I'm surprised that most events (and not just renfairs) don't have a 'pet rest' area like this.  Not every dog (or cat, or ferret) can deal with the constant barrage of new, loud or smelly experiences that happen when a lot of people get together in one place.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Alexandra Johanna

Bad pet owners are the root of so many issues that are impacting those of us that try to be responsible with our animals, I don't even want to get started about it.

There is a certificate program through AKC called the Canine Good Citizen. You take your dog through a series of tests such as meeting strangers, meeting people with dogs, being groomed by strangers, being left with a stranger, being around milling crowds, testing reactions to sudden loud noises (think garbage can lids) and strange equipment (wheelchairs, crutches, umbrellas). I forget what else is in there but it covers quite a bit. I love this program because to pass it, a dog owners needs to have put some time and energy into raising a well adjusted and trained animal.  Our older dogs were all certified as Canine Good Citizens before I had ever set foot in any sort of dog training class some 6 years ago.

I've been lax in letting our next generation skate by without achieving a CGC. And since the loss of our oldest Siberian, the remaining two girls have been having some difficulties adjusting. So plans to take them with us to Faire next year are on hold. They need to settle into the new pack structure, and we need to get back to the training center now that some normalcy has returned to the household. Its been three years since our last pups, so we are also planning a litter for Spring 2012. No going far from home with little devils running about!

I will console myself with more frequent trips to Bristol next season! LOL

DonaCatalina

I've seen a posting for something called the Hound's Rest Inn at TRF. I don't know if its owned by TexRenFest or if its a private service.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

<--------------------  This dog pictured accompanying me at NCRF in 2008 earned his CGC title this past summer at the tender age of 9 years old, he is now 10.  He is my first rescue... left at some horse stables in a crate with a note @ 6 months of age.  I also show Italian Greyhounds in AKC conformation events and have 2 finished champions... one of which has enjoyed Great Lakes M. F.  with me in the summer of 2009. 

The dogs who are used to showing, going and doing, being in large crowds with lots of dogs and people are pretty used to it.  I start them out young, as pups and it's just part of their life.  When you have a dog that has had relatively little interaction with other people/animals it's whole life and has some years on it... not a good combination.  Imagine you've lived in a cave for 2-3 years and then somebody takes you to Disney... sensory overload! 

If you intend to do social events with your pup, take it out while it's young... i.e. 4-6 months.  Many local petsmarts and kennel clubs offer reasonable rates for puppy socializing classes.  Invest in it... I flunked out of my first one, my then husband finished that puppy socialization class with our Dalmation.  I've obviously improved since then. 

Please though, if you are going to take your pup somewhere like Faire and he starts panting and pulling at the lead.  Something is not right... take your pup to a kennel and board it for the day or take it home.  If you need help finding a local Kennel Club to help you better train your dog please message me.  I will help you find one.   ;D
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

Dinobabe

On the radio this morning the DJ told of his most recent dog encounter.  He was out walking his two dogs, on leash.  There was a loose dog in a yard, the owner with it.  He decided to turn around and not pass the yard (to prevent an encounter) but the dogs spotted each other.  The loose dog came his way.  The owner told the dog to stay, it left.  The owner told the dog to not cross the street, it crossed the street.  Etc....  It became obvious to the DJ that the dogs did not like each other.  He tried to pull them away but it was too late.  The leashes became tangled around his feet and the dogs pulled on the leashes causing him to fall down on his back.  Now the dogs were fighting right in his face!  He didn't exactly finish the story (i.e. what did the other owner do since it was her dog not on leash; probably couldn't being a DJ and all) but he did say that he and the dogs were ok.  He used this event to emphasize the importance of keeping a dog on leash and that owners should not be in denial about their dog's behavior.  No matter how well behaved a dog may appear they are still an animal and react to other dogs, people, and situations in ways we may not be prepared for.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DonaCatalina

As noted by Ron White, "you can't fix stupid".
No matter how well behaved I believe my dog to be, they are always on leash in public. The exceptions are in the dog park or doggie day care.
I even keep them on leash in the car.
Reason # 1, I don't want someone to accuse my dog of doing something and using the city leash laws and pound laws to take my baby away from me.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

We're having the same problem at our house, Dinobabe. My neighbor across the street will not put his dogs on leash, and if we are out with one or both of ours, one of his comes charging us.

We finally had enough of it. We contacted animal services, and they are going to send him a warning. They also told us that if the guy's dog attacked again, to turn ours (an Akita, and a Malamute) loose on it. I'd rather hurt the guy than the dog, if you know what I mean.

Our dogs are never off-leash, unless penned.

Dinobabe

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 10, 2011, 12:17:44 PM
I'd rather hurt the guy than the dog, if you know what I mean.

I know how you feel! ::)

Bad dogs are like bad kids... a direct result of parenting (or lack there of).
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

cowgrrl

I would say no to dogs at faires, unless they are service dogs or like the Greyhound Rescue at CoRF.  My DH & son have allergies & being outdoors is hard enough.  If dogs were added to the mix they'd be miserable & possibly unable to attend. 
Also, while I am not afraid of dogs, I don't love them.  I also get nervous around them unless they are service dogs.  Having dogs at our local faire would make what is normally a fun experience into a slightly stressful one. 

kcdcchef

i say let's bring cats to faire.

Lady Nicolette

Funny response, but not so funny in reality.  MNRF does a raffle every year to raise money for the local cat rescue for all of the feral cats that show up during Faire.  Some cats who are still on site after Faire seem to be tame as well, but there are no apparent owners.  Our booth there found a permanent home for a resident kitty that adopted willin while he was there, but not all are so lucky. 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine