News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dogs at Faire?

Started by Alexandra Johanna, September 25, 2011, 09:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sitara

MNRF does allow cats as well. This one guy has brought his out in a stroller for the past 15+ years.

Lady Nicolette: I got my kitty from site the week after closing a few years ago. He seemed very confused by the lack of food and lovin's since fest was over. He is now a spoiled house cat. It took quite a while to break him of his habit of chewing open plastic bags to find food.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Lady Nicolette

Thanks for taking another good creature in, Sitara!
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Merlin the Elder

Adopt your pets. We need to put the critter mills out of business.  I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 fish. They are all adopted. End of PSA.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on November 22, 2011, 11:36:27 AM
Funny response, but not so funny in reality.  MNRF does a raffle every year to raise money for the local cat rescue for all of the feral cats that show up during Faire.  Some cats who are still on site after Faire seem to be tame as well, but there are no apparent owners.  Our booth there found a permanent home for a resident kitty that adopted willin while he was there, but not all are so lucky. 
I assume the cat rescue folks trap the kitties, give them vet attention, fix and chip them for new homes?   
    I ask this because I have heard of well meaning but misguided folks (my sister is among these) feeding feral cats, thus enabling them to continue to breed in the wild and making the problem worse.   My sister feels like it would be 'snitching them out' to alert the ASPCA. 
    It is a hard life out there for animals that were meant to be pets, and the feral cats can spread disease to house cats that spend time outdoors.  The humane society here is pretty good at catching ferals, but they need to know where the populations are at.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Nicolette

I know there are some locals who go out and do put out food over the winter months for the ones who didn't get caught, but they try to capture whoever they can and get them into feral rescue or homes if they are ready for that.  Obviously, everyone spaying and neutering both cats and dogs, adopting or rescuing of existing animals and education of the public to do this is the real answer.

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

angusmacinnes

I have 2 dogs and neither belong at faire. IMHO
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 22, 2011, 11:40:47 PM
Adopt your pets. We need to put the critter mills out of business.  I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 fish. They are all adopted. End of PSA.

my babies are adopted. albeit from a petsmart, but their adoptable kitties are from shelters to keep them from gettting killed, so we rescued two awesome kitties from being unloved, executed, and discarded. and love our two fluffy dummies!

kcdcchef

and how the fu*& can you adopt a fish?

angusmacinnes

It is eazy to adopt a fish.  It is like "Hey Merlin want this gold fish?" 
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Dinobabe

Quote from: kcdcchef on November 23, 2011, 11:34:24 AM

LMAO
I was thinking the same thing!!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on November 23, 2011, 10:22:04 AM
I know there are some locals who go out and do put out food over the winter months for the ones who didn't get caught, but they try to capture whoever they can and get them into feral rescue or homes if they are ready for that.  Obviously, everyone spaying and neutering both cats and dogs, adopting or rescuing of existing animals and education of the public to do this is the real answer.
Amen to that.  When I wanted a pure bred Scottie I adopted through a rescue.  He is healthy but my little female needs lots of TLC, and she's a little doll.  When they go to the rainbow bridge, I will adopt the same way.
   I haven't bought from a pet store in eons; not that there are any left in this area that sell puppies and kittens anymore; that trade has thankfully all but dried up here in Omaha.  The single remaining kennel gets as much negative press and attention as the local Women's center.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Dinobabe on November 23, 2011, 12:17:48 PM
Quote from: kcdcchef on November 23, 2011, 11:34:24 AM

LMAO
I was thinking the same thing!!
Quote from: angusmacinnes on November 23, 2011, 11:42:49 AM
It is eazy to adopt a fish.  It is like "Hey Merlin want this gold fish?" 
Angus has it pretty close. Most folks tend to flush unwanted fish down the toilet. Someone I knew wanted to rid themselves of their last remaining tropical. I offered to adopt it.

kcdcchef

by fileting it and making a maki roll?

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: kcdcchef on November 23, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
by fileting it and making a maki roll?
No! But I trained him to get the paper for me when it's raining really hard...

Dinobabe

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on November 23, 2011, 04:55:03 PM
No! But I trained him to get the paper for me when it's raining really hard...

Yer gonna kill me!!! ;D ;D ;D
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com