News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The (new) Three Musketeers

Started by Rowan MacD, September 27, 2011, 09:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

i think i want to see it after seeing a previews for it i want to see it
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on October 21, 2011, 02:43:03 AM
Just went to the Midnight showing of 'The Three Musketeers'..LOVED IT!!! Time well spent.

Fun, humorous, well paced, great costuming, loved the hats of Milady de Winter and of the King, and excellent cast. I did not mind at  all  the liberties taken that were not early 17th century. This is a film I would surely see again and buy once it gets onto DVD.

My Lady, have you ever read the actual book?  It is extremely good and I hardily recommend it.

My objection with this movie, which I have not and will not see, is the association to Dumas' classic.  If they had named it almost anything else, I would have no problem.  

Alas, I am getting old and set in my ways.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Of course I have read the Book, Keeper! Way back in high school some 40+ years ago! What makes you think I have not?

There have been so many versions of this classic tale. You may not desire to see this film, that is okay. Don't! I did not like the Kiefer Sutherland/Charlie Sheen version. My favorite is the Richard Chamberlain/Oliver Reed/Frank Finlay/Michael York version and this one.

This version is geared for today's audience, yet very enjoyable.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

KeeperoftheBar

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on October 21, 2011, 11:21:47 AM
Of course I have read the Book, Keeper! Way back in high school some 40+ years ago! What makes you think I have not?

There have been so many versions of this classic tale. You may not desire to see this film, that is okay. Don't! I did not like the Kiefer Sutherland/Charlie Sheen version. My favorite is the Richard Chamberlain/Oliver Reed/Frank Finlay/Michael York version and this one.

Forgive me, my Lady, no offense was meant.  But in todays troubled world, fewer and fewer people are taking time to appreciate the written word.
I agree, the 70's movie version was by far the best.  Possibly because it did stay so closely to the book.   You have very likely also read the sequels "Twenty Years After" and "Man in the Iron Mask"

As I stated, I fear that people will associate a piece of classic literature with a movie that is "geared for today's audience", which I feel is just wrong.  I suspect that the producers of the film are worried it can not stand on its own merits and are using Duma's novel to bring in the viewers.   Imagine some young reader being disappointed that the book doesn't have flying ships, like in the movie.   I had the same qualms with the old movie "Poltergeist" as it had noting to do with poltergeists.  If they had called it "Weird things from the TV" I would have enjoyed it more.

I am feeling my age.  Now that Andy Rooney has retired, I may seek the position of America's Curmudgeon.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

No offense taken, Keeper.

Loved Man In The Iron Mask.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Captain Teague

Quote from: KeeperoftheBar on October 21, 2011, 12:49:06 PM
Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on October 21, 2011, 11:21:47 AM

But in todays troubled world, fewer and fewer people are taking time to appreciate the written word.

I am feeling my age.  Now that Andy Rooney has retired, I may seek the position of America's Curmudgeon.

Agree with the written works lament. One of the reasons I laud the Kindle varieties as it at least has regenerated more actual reading interests for some.

And just tell me where to vote you in.  ;D

We did a sneak preview showing of both versions of the new movie (2D and 3D ) last night and it met with some interest and mixed reviews, mostly those between modern ideas and old school.
The Code is the Law...

Zardoz

My 80 year old father and I saw it in 3D today, big thumbs up from us!  While it obviously deviates from the source material, it is a nice looking movie, and we thought the general 'feel' and characters were pretty good. It has a lot of humor and clever dialog.  
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Rowan MacD

We will be seeing this next weekend (we got sidetracked by 'Real Steel' last Saturday). 
   I have read the book, but will admit that I want to see the movie primarily for the costumes and scenery.  The story has been told ad nauseum, and I don't expect stellar acting from this group of performers.

I have also read Hunchback of Notredame.  I loved the book, and still managed to enjoy the live action and Disney versions too.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Auryn

My boy toy and I saw it this past weekend.
I will be honest I went into it with a bit of trepidation and ended up loving it.

Don't take it as THE three musketeers movie or story from the book.
Think of it as 'one of the many adventures of the three musketeers".
I thought the writing and the actors did a great job of embodying the spirit and personality of the characters and bringing them to life.

Surprisingly my least favorite actor in the movie was Mila Jovovich and I love her. I will see anything she is in ( I even saw Ultraviolet in theaters because it was a her).

Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

Lady Rebecca

Quote from: Auryn on October 25, 2011, 01:58:56 PM

Surprisingly my least favorite actor in the movie was Mila Jovovich and I love her. I will see anything she is in ( I even saw Ultraviolet in theaters because it was a her).

She was my least favorite as well (though I'm not sure I've ever seen her in anything before). I think she took the movie too seriously. Because clearly, this was the biggest cheese-fest ever. (In a good way!) Two friends and I went in costume late last Saturday night. The action was entertaining, the sword-fighting was really good, the movie itself was totally hilarious, and while the costumes were historically confusing, they still looked beautiful. I thought Louis and Anne had an adorably awkward romance, and Orlando Bloom hammed it up wonderfully. The whole thing was a delightful ham and cheese-whiz sandwich. I've been debating about seeing it again.