News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

One Persona or Two? Or just call you Sybil!

Started by Alexandra Johanna, September 28, 2011, 12:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandra Johanna

How many faire personas are currently running rampant in YOUR personality closet? Do you have one main persona, or more? How do you choose who you bring to faire each time you visit? By persona, I don't mean you have to actively be portraying your character loudly all over faire at the drop of a hat, it could be just an outfit that portrays a certain style or class, even though your Jersey accent would put Snookie to shame.

My personality closet if chock full of personas, but to date only the wench has actually managed to escape. The faire season is over for us this year, so now is my downtime to work on all the costume ideas the previous season's faire has stuffed into my brain... the pirate, the fairy, the gypsy, the noble, and the latest... the northern barbarian. Its so difficult to choose which one to work on! /giggle

Delireus

I've got three outfits I feel I've fleshed out well enough. I don't have an accent or even back stories, but I have a steampunk outfit, a pirate one, and a fairy one. When I went to just 1 faire a year, it was really hard to decide which I wanted to wear, but now I travel to 4 faires a season and go to two three day cons, so I get to wear all 3 of my outfits at least twice.

For the first time ever, I don't want another outfit because I love my three I have so much, I'd be sad to not get to wear them often enough. It's a big load off my wallet (finally)!

- Shanon (with just 1 N)

Home is where
the faire is

Mairte

Magpie Flynn

I have 4 well defined ones and 3 more in development... that looks kinda crazy when written out. lol Didn't seem like so many in my head!

EmbyrretheFae

At the moment 14 that have been costumed, fleshed out and used at multiple faires.  In the closet waiting to come out and be costumed are about 30 more :)

It never ends, and is always tons of fun creating something new, challenging, and exciting to show off :)

Me
"Because I can" ;)

arbcoind

For me it's only 2.  Wench or Steampunk.  Vastly different I think.

Gina

Captain Teague

So many that at times when all are clamoring to get out, I forget which one got the day pass.  ;D

The Code is the Law...

Alexandra Johanna

Oh good! I thought I was starting to suffer from faire-induced split personality disorder!

ravic

My main hawker has at least 4 personas. Or maybe they are multiples? She never knows who she is going to be until she wakes up. Always entertaining.

DT_Masters

Faire personalty, just two. There is Jonathan Kidd who is the time traveler who is going increasingly native as DT Masters. All know DT, hardly anyone knows Kidd, which is probably just as well since I'm not there to talk about the future.

Acting wise, SEVERAL. It comes down to 2 or 3 main ones, subcharacters I call them, which enable me to make the jump to the persona I am suppose to be. There's Aja (Ah-JAh) who is an immortal playful spirit, who can assume forms as necessary, through time. Aja is only concerned with having fun and "she" can be activated in about 7 seconds. Ie, I was doing "Felix" in an Odd Couple scene and used Aja to get into it. Aja, who saw "Oscar" as someone she wanted to drive insane by her antics, wanted to do it by getting right into Oscar's ranks in a form he wouldn't recognize, as Felix.

Another nice thing about Aja is that I usually use her when I want to play an animal. If it's fun, it's Aja.

Then there is KT, an intergalatic spy who is more receptive to understanding things that are not quite in the viewpoint for the part. Such as if I am prepping in my apartment; KT will see that as a safe house on a primitive world. It takes about 45 minutes to activate KT, but "she" has access to hundreds of personalities (the various stories I have written over the decades) to assume in a blink to handle situations as they change. KT is a telepath so how "she" appears to others is all within the power of the part.

Today, however, for another scene, I think I'll use a slightly different approach than Aja or KT. I have to play Creon in a scene and I think I shall approach it as a Mediator/Guest. Creon is being brought to a foreign land, of oddly dressed people and strange events, where he will present his case. The mediator's job is to interact with the real world. So Creon, is present, in character, the scene is already running, but the mediator handles the affairs of my life until I can bring Creon on stage.

The last time I played Creon in a scene, I played the interactions before as Creon in the future. He does not understand all that has been told to him, but he can communicate with others. The catch is, it is kind of hard to keep in character like that, so I'm hoping that this approach will work better. Crossed, broken fingers.

Butch

Only one:  an humble English mariner from Calais, on the French mainland.

Sir Michael Geare

I have five main outfits for each of my personas.  Three of them are Ren Faire related and the other two portray other timelines.  For Renaissance, I have a peasant outfit that really doesn't get to see the light of day anymore.  Since I am on cast, depending on the faire, I am either Sir Michael Geare (Gentry) or George Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland (Noble).

I also portray Edgerton Castle at Victorian events along with western/frontier wear for my 1800's character.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

auntiegiggles

I have two personas.
The first is Lady Inga (aka:  Giggles, Mischief, Pompous, or Sinister) - she's basically a Noble Trollop
The second is Fauna Foxbee - A fallin' fairy who loves Ale and Mead
Everything goes better with giggles

scarletnyx

Right now, currently one - Fionnuala, my Druid. I have a few more starting to peek their heads out, but I need to see more garb in person to determine who else will take up residence in my closet. I want to have a good range of personas for different fairs/cons/weather types, so that I can express myself and not faint in the middle of TRF.
But ahhh, this is fun researching and looking at pictures!
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

DT_Masters

Well, the Mediator/Guest had about half and half success.First time using it, it wasn't as smooth as I hoped, but it essentially worked, rather too well as it might be. Creon was only suppose to be talking to Oedipus but in this mode, I "told Creon" for his trip to the future, he would be presenting his case to these people in their strange clothing. So I was looking at all of them as oppose to one person.

Oh, well, live and learn!