News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

One Persona or Two? Or just call you Sybil!

Started by Alexandra Johanna, September 28, 2011, 12:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexandra Johanna

So much variety! Some people have one, some have veritable cavalcades! But isn't that the beauty of faire?

I think the fairy is the one I'll be working on next, as least when it comes to wardrobe. I could use something to lift my spirits and one of my favorite things about faire is interacting with the children that notice my shoulder puppet in my wench outfit. Being a playful, gentle fairy sounds like a very pleasant way to pass a day. And maybe also an excuse to get a new, more colorful woodbaby next season!

Jack Daw at Work

I've been garbing since 1999 and prefer to stick to my 'Highlander in Great Kilt' character.  I've made small changes to the kit over the years, improving on my bonnet and changing shoes, leggings, and shirts to be more authentic.  I've actually back-tracked on shoes to a more comfortable, thicker-soled "brogue".  And, I've added a walking stick, a wooden tankard, and haversack in the more recent years.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

DonaCatalina

I think its interesting that people either tend to change personas frequently, or not much at all.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: EmbyrretheFae on September 28, 2011, 10:53:27 AM
At the moment 14 that have been costumed, fleshed out and used at multiple faires.  In the closet waiting to come out and be costumed are about 30 more :)

It never ends, and is always tons of fun creating something new, challenging, and exciting to show off :)

You still amaze me, Embyrre.

On the other hand, it's pretty much just Merlin for me. The beard would keep me from doing some of your characters, Embyrre.  I would like to learn to be in the character more. I suppose it's mostly a matter of practice.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Alexandra Johanna

Characters fascinate me. I loved make believe as a child. I love it now. It seems like Faire is one of the only places where its "okay" to make believe as an adult. With the way reality is these days, is it any wonder it's becoming more and more popular?

100 more days until Bristol.

DT_Masters

Quote from: Soulstice on March 28, 2012, 05:18:46 PM
Characters fascinate me. I loved make believe as a child. I love it now. It seems like Faire is one of the only places where its "okay" to make believe as an adult. With the way reality is these days, is it any wonder it's becoming more and more popular?

100 more days until Bristol.

Not necessarily, both from the reality stand point and from the "play" standpoint.

I was taught that as a teacher, one puts on a certain face, a certain personalty when they walk in the door. Their problems in life are left outside and what better way to do that than not be that person while teaching? One may not be a totally different person but they might be focusing on a certain quality, borrowing from another character to achieve their goal. So for teaching, I might be using an image of "Francis 7" or "V.H. Adderly" (ie, very friendly, positive, upbeat) to focus my presentation.

I once had a project report where the team disintegrated right before the report was to be given. As other presentations were being given, I organized my thoughts of what I was going to say, then got up there and played/mimiced Civil War historian/college president Frank Vandiver and got it done. I copied his mannerisms, the way he spoke when I heard him talk years earlier. "Playing him" was a blast. Of course, I wasn't actually being him, but I was using his presence to align my actions to.

It is possible that in the future, I might have the job as MC and if I do, I am likely to play a character doing that, whether partially or totally.

As it is, I do love to be other people, whether acting, dancing, or for that matter, being in the audience. It's fun, it makes it easier to let the show interact with one.

EmbyrretheFae

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 22, 2012, 02:47:31 PM
At the moment 14 that have been costumed, fleshed out and used at multiple faires.  In the closet waiting to come out and be costumed are about 30 more :)

It never ends, and is always tons of fun creating something new, challenging, and exciting to show off :)

On the other hand, it's pretty much just Merlin for me. The beard would keep me from doing some of your characters, Embyrre.  I would like to learn to be in the character more. I suppose it's mostly a matter of practice.

Staying in character can be difficult depending upon where you are performing and the people one encounters.  I have had a few people run up and call me by my real name and they get solidly ignored.  I figure if someone goes to a lot of trouble and expense to bring forth any character to the public they deserve the respect as a performer to be addressed by what they are presenting.

and thank you, Merlin  the feeling is mutual!
"Because I can" ;)

WindChime

I have many different persona's. They just are not 100% final. I don't think any of my outfit will ever be done since I always find some way to tweak some of them every season.
Chime'n Penny / Cheiftess Clan O'Maille
Irish Penny Brigade
Guppy #90
Castleteer
IWG #3740 Local #57
Lost Viking
FOKTOP
Booth Owner @ KyRF & ORF
Keeper of All Bells & Chimes
RESCU Rally Captain ORF &  KyRF

SirRichardBear

When I'm teaching I'm sah bum nim its not playing a roll exactly but it goes with the uniform and my outward persona is different more formal because that is what is required to teach the art.  Its kinda like that at faire when I'm Beare there is a uniform and a place and to me its part of what being at faire is about.  While the name is the same the uniform is different at Sherwood than at Scarby so persona changes a little, less formal at Sherwood were I'm just Beare compared to  Scarby were I'm Sir Richard Beare. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

DT_Masters

Quote from: EmbyrretheFae on April 06, 2012, 08:44:33 AM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on March 22, 2012, 02:47:31 PM
At the moment 14 that have been costumed, fleshed out and used at multiple faires.  In the closet waiting to come out and be costumed are about 30 more :)

On the other hand, it's pretty much just Merlin for me. The beard would keep me from doing some of your characters, Embyrre.  I would like to learn to be in the character more. I suppose it's mostly a matter of practice.

Staying in character can be difficult depending upon where you are performing and the people one encounters.  I have had a few people run up and call me by my real name and they get solidly ignored.  I figure if someone goes to a lot of trouble and expense to bring forth any character to the public they deserve the respect as a performer to be addressed by what they are presenting.

and thank you, Merlin  the feeling is mutual!

It's tough enough in class where you prep to submerge into character before class but then you have to deal with the prof before you perform. I've been experimenting with subcharacters to maintain the main character and yet have an interface though it is not perfect yet. Further, sometimes, as when I did Creon, the subcharacter approach is flawed so the performance is flawed. One approach I've considered is a subcharacter who can play me. It is needed for some time, some day, there will be a director out there interacting with me, not the character.

One of the good things about playing DT Masters is that a lot of people know me by that name. Granted, they know who I am in real life often enough as well so it isn't perfect but as the song goes, "it gives me time to think".

I think one needs to learn to respect the performer for who they are portraying; that is something that I did not know early on. On the other hand, though, it goes both ways. When one is not performing, they want those around them to interact with them as they really are, not as the person they were on stage. For those not in this world to some extent, that point is often tough to get around......ie, Shatner's "Get a life"?

DonaCatalina

Mainly just one for myself, I have Elspeth Forbeys as a backup if I want to go as a Scot.
Your subject line caught my eye as I have a Bulldog named Lady Sybil Duchess of Morpork.
I have an extensive background built up for my character to make it easier to hold a coherent conversation with cast members.
Otherwise the conversation doesn't last longer than a sentence or two.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess