News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need some quick opinions: Is this too short?

Started by gem, September 09, 2011, 03:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

I've pinned up the hem on my curved-front/corded-bodice dress, and I'm concerned that it might be too short (it's 1 3/4" off the ground). Walking in it, it feels right (it brushes the tops of my shoes but I don't step on the hem), but I'm hyper-sensitive to hem length. I can never seem to get it right. My brown dress is too short, which makes me crazy every time I wear it, and my peasant skirts are a hair too long, and if I don't hike them up under my bust, I'll trip over them.  Anyway. On the (painstakingly adjusted to my shod height) dress form, it looked fine, but once I put it on, I wasn't sure.

Please excuse dreadful pictures/dirty bathroom/mirror/etc. I *tried* to make these as level as possible:

Longer? Shorter? Ok as is? Help!

Gramercy!!!

isabelladangelo

It looks fine to me in length.  Actually, there are plenty of examples of ladies showing a bit of ankle even.   ;)

operafantomet

Looks right to me too. And if you still think it's too short after wearing it, you can add a piping of the same fabric as the skirt (if you have more fabric), or of the colour of the guards. If you snip it, it'll look even more period. Win-win!

But I DO think it looks good as it is.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I say you are good to go, gem.

YTake into consideration the terrain at the faire you attend. Lots of ups and downs. Even with a shorter hem, going uphill one can get caught up.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Alexandra Johanna

Rani Zemirah

Gem, did you say in another thread that you were going to add guards to the hem?  Will that have any draw up effect at all on the hem?  Even slightly, because of the double row of extra stitching?  I will confess to being a rank amateur here, compared to all of you, but I have had the length of a couple of things changed just a hair because of adding things to the hem area.  If this might be the case, would adding a quarter of an inch or so compensate for that effect?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Cilean

the falling to the floor thought is more Victorian than Elizabethan, It looks good to me, and more importantly? If it feels good to you? Go for it!

Cilean  ;)

Lady Cilean Stirling
"Looking Good is not an Option, It is a Necessity"
My Motto? Never Pay Retail

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

Thanks, Dona C and Cilean. I have LONG SINCE hemmed this dress, so the damage is done, but thankfully it seems to be fine. Going to wear it today, in fact.

irish

irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

TiaLD77

Looks Perfect to me Gem, I prefer mine at walking/working length with is usually finishes it off right at my ankle bone. Lovely color BTW.
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)

gem

Thanks, everyone!

You can actually see the pictures of the finished ensemble (!!) in this thread. Really pleased with how it turned out (length and all!).