News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Clothes out of old bed sheets...

Started by Kate XXXXXX, October 09, 2011, 06:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate XXXXXX

Rowan MacD

LMAO.     My daughter asked if I could 'help her' with a costume for a Halloween office party.  She showed me a pic of a Princess Leia costume on ebay going for $60.00 including a wig and belt.   I told her it looked like a reasonable amount to pay for what she was getting.   She then patiently explained she needed me to make it for her for under $20.00.   She also wanted a better fabric than the costume on ebay.....And she wanted a more 'accurate' belt for the dress.   

Reasons for declining the gracious offer of being of use to my busy adult daughter?

#1 I hate working with stretch fabrics.
  #2 The materials would run at least $40-50.
  #3 The above would not include the wig.
  #4  'Helping' a person is not the same as 'Doing it for them for free'. She should learn to sew.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Brenna

Ohhhh dear. What a mess. :P  I am certain many of our seamstresses have been in this VERY situation. :D

LadyStitch

Watching that sounds WAY too familar.   ;D   Even if I make something the PP he knows he will have to do something on it as well. I'm getting him trained to do hand sewing.  If he wants 40 buttons on it, guess who is sewing them on.   ;D
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

TiaLD77

yup sounds way to familiar on to many occasions...when will I ever learn...*head desk*
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)

Lady Gryphon

when my son used to LARP, he came home from the local Joann's with the pattern and material.  He told me he asked the Manager (which we both know very well) to help him so he didn't bring something home I would kill him over.  It was pretty much a Poet/pirate shirt, nothing too complicated, but I was working 16 hr days at the time and just didn't have the time to make it.  So I taught him to sew.

He laid it out on the dining room table following the illustration, I checked it before he cut and then showed him how to use my machine.  Answered questions as he went along. He did a pretty good job for the first time.. I remember the Gathering threads breaking on him but that happens to use all. 

When he went off to college I had to lock down my sewing machine so he didn't steal it.  He made much of his own garb after that.  And he learned how long it took. 
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?