News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

First visit impressions, Oct. 2011

Started by Archer, October 10, 2011, 06:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on October 11, 2011, 08:21:33 PM
Interesting how perspectives differ. We thought OKRF was "lightly garbed" in comparison to Scarborough. It will be even more interesting to see your comparison when you come to Scarby for the first time next April. There could be a psychological component going on here, like you hint at.

One weekend is hard to measure.   I do season pass for home faire.  No question that some weekends show different results with percentages in garb.  I think the weekend you came was a lighter weekend for garb than the usual.   I'd say the garb rentals right near the entry gate make a bit of a difference as it appears to be used a good deal by those who do not own their own garb.

The garb rental options at OKRF right at the gate draws the guests in there right after they've just passed bagpipes playing in the parking area, some fun/playful interactions by garbed/trained employees and musicians which put the guests in the mood to sink their teeth in to the spirit of faire all the way,  before they tender their entry tickets.

I failed to mention that our selected lodging provided two entry pass tickets and a bag with some cool souvineers and;  if you came to the front desk in garb, you then got more tickets which covered our second day.  That was a cool bonus and obviously offset room expense big time.  KCRF gets cudos for that promotional incentive.
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Stalkwell

Quote from: Archer on October 11, 2011, 07:35:26 PM
Those that know their business and who are sensible in the way they behave do not seem to have contacts of the type under discussion.   They do their thing and secrurity does their thing and so it is and so it shall be.   :)

Consider this policing.  I have experienced photography situations personally where security was totally out of line, at my expense and that of my friends.  Quite frankly, most of us know the law pertaining to what/who/where we shoot for any subject in front of our lens as well as or better than the law enforcement community.  You know why?  Unprovoked 'legal' situations involving law abiding photographers are far too common to ignore.  Sadly, it is necessary for self defense from the people that think they know the law.  Not only do we know (most of) the responsibilities and legal limitations of the profession, we inform those who don't know the rules or responsibilities in a rather kind fashion.  And you know what, that hasn't stopped people that have done nothing whatsoever to earn security's 'attention' from being harassed.  I as a photographer don't appreciate being minimalized with that broad brush.  Once again it gets back to the notion that photographers shooting children aren't 'sensible in the way they behave'? 

After talking to security about said situations, they were admittedly ignorant of the law, uninformed as to their faire's policy, and otherwise butt chewed by their management for their actions towards a patron.  The situations were assumptions on the part of some cocky undertrained security guys trying to do what they perceived as their job.  That is the reality of it.  Security screws up, and some poor photographer's reputation is trampled to just short of that of a child molester by someone's underinformed comments.  And so it shall be... but not without objection.

Your evaluation of security is your own affair.  It may be right, wrong, or who cares.  I take offense at your choice of presenting it.  You are right, you don't know the situation... you admittedly guess.  I applaud you for saying that. I am not in any way minimalizing your obvious experience in law, or your desire to express your opinions about faire.  You may be spot on about what happened in this particular case.  Try perceiving this situation from a photographer's perspective.  I'm quite sure that you might behave with common sense AND be treated as this person was for no 'known' reason by both security and whomever wants to report it.  All I am asking is that you be responsible or 'sensible in the way [you] behave' when referring to any photographer in a way that suggests child abuse, especially with an open ended implication that someone who enjoys photographing children is questionable.

'Nuff said'?

Objection stated... behavior policed.  Agree to disagree and press on.

Now, go enjoy faire  :)

Stalk well...
Enthralled with the Faeriebox...

Archer

Perhaps it should be added at this point for any concerned photographers that a number, (many) photographers were observed "doing their thing" that had no observed contacts by security.   :P

Sometimes you'll find that people doing wrong things act in such a way that they draw attention to themselves.  They occasionally draw even more attention to themselves by the words that fall or fly out of their pie hole.

Its okay to focus on one sentence of the entire review if that is the sentence that is of the most concern or interest. 

If the photographer was innocent, perhaps he'll get the chance to show security or law enforcement why others were mistaken.  I suspect that would happen in most venue/jurisdictions.

If that one sentence of the review keeps you away from the faire you could always go for the other reasons described in the review and leave ye camera at home.

Otherwise, like all professions just go ahead and live life, take chances out there in the big diverse world full of rights and wrongs and have fun doing it.  After all, what is the worse case scenario ?   A few ruffled feathers and/or some other fellow or lady in my profession gets to make some money defending a case and then spends it attending another renfaire.   If people didn't make mistakes or use bad judgement I'd have little to do.   Its all good.   ;D

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.