News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fitting over stays?

Started by Adriana Rose, October 11, 2011, 05:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adriana Rose

I am tossing a project around in my head for my self and my mom. I want to use the same pattern for both gowns I want to have stays for the cleavage factor for me but my mom does not want stays. So at least her gown is going to be fairly easy.

So my question is how do I fit the gown over the stays that I want to use. I was thinking of just wearing them while the fitting process was happening. I am a bit lost for fitting since I usually just make skirts and chemises, help?

isabelladangelo

You do need to do a mock up first of the bodice to the gown.  After you cut it out, try the muslin/mock up on over the says and make necessary adjustments to the pattern from there.  Use the muslin as your pattern. 

Adriana Rose

Ok thank you!

This may be silly but do you keep the mockup or do you use it as lining?

isabelladangelo

Never, ever use the mock up as the lining.  You will want to use the pattern again if it fits right.  Why go through the whole hassle again if you don't need to?

Adriana Rose