News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Falconers

Started by crazyrennie, June 19, 2008, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyrennie

Greetings,
I am attepting to find as many images of medieval falconers/falconry as I can-
Can anyone help me out?
I'm looking to recreate garb-
Thanks

captmarga

Falcons were flown by everyone, and the type of bird flown was determined by their rank.  Therefore, if you are "the Royal Falconer", your garb is going to be styled after that of the court, though perhaps of lesser decoration and more sturdy fabric.  Trews, shirt, jerkin, sturdy boots, appropriate hat.

Some of the professional Conservation groups come to the faires, and they wear a version of garb that is more or less correct.  The main difference is going to be the addition of your game bag and hawking glove.

I'd google "falconer + ren faire" and see the various images that come up from various faires.

here's one such, ,

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_C-9FueDfQMI/RpGrLfLivTI/AAAAAAAAAxk/CpchFwKmP_E/Ren+Faire+2007+Opening+Day+052.jpg

Hope this helps,

Capt. Marga

Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

crazyrennie

All information is useful-just a matter of timing.
thanks!

renfairephotog

There's an article on Falconry in issue #52 of Renaissance Magazine. It mentions Book of Falconry by Jean de Franchieres and Art of hunting with hawks by Fredrick II. There's a few illustrations in the article.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

crazyrennie

Escarlata

Sorry to resurface an old topic but I just found yesterday that Kitty Tolson Carroll, a falconer who does demos on the circuit down here, has posted a very in-depth article about Falconry here on R/F. You can find it at "Falconry, Renaissance Style." She's included an extensive bibliography in it and the following item caught my eye. I've not seen the video but wondered if they might have period portrayals of falconers in appropriate dress. Thought I'd pass it along.

Videos:
-----Falconry by Jacek Strek:  Highly recommended.   Produced with the non-falconer in mind.  Based on Frederick II's book (1266).  Especially great for history buffs.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

HawkMom

Escarleata.  Thanks for bringing the article to light.  There is the International Falconry Forum, the largest falconry discussion site in the world.  www.falconryforum.co.uk.  I'm a member and chat on it daily.  There was a thread on historic clothing with some excellent photos that someone had taken time to research. 

The 'Falconry' DVD by Jacek Strek is available from www.northwoodsfalconry.com or www.westernsporting.com  It was first aired at the North American Falconers' Association meet in 1997 and received a 10 minute standing ovation. So, I recommend it highly.  There are several historic re-enactor segments, featuring Polish, Medieval and Arabic falconers.  The cinematographer is an award winning professional who had done documentaries for National Geographic.

There are also other modern themed videos sold as well.  With excellent action footage of the birds hunting game. 

The Peregrine Fund has the Achives of Falconry  www.peregrinefund.org.   LOTS of historic books and collections.   The P-fund as we call it and a network of falconer/breeders  are the group that brought the peregrine back from the brink of extinction. 

The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

gem

If the OP is still interested in period art, there's a book called THE ART OF MEDIEVAL HUNTING, by John Cummins, which is exactly what it sounds like (lots of hunting art).  It's out of print, but you can find it used on Amazon, AbeBooks, etc.  Or a library.  ;)

Also, medieval tapestries are great for hawking and hunt images.  A Google image search would bring up loads of hits.

HawkMom

There is another site which also has information on the history of falconry:  The International Association of Falconry
(www.i-a-f.org). 

Former president Christian de Coune wrote a book called 'Falconry and Art' It is now out of print and has many paintings depicting falconry and art. 
The essence of falconry is not in the flight or the kill, but man's relationship with his hawk.      --- T.H. White

Frederic

It seems that falconry (of a sort) is making an interesting comeback here in the NorthEast - our local paper had an article on a New Jersey company that employs falconers to guard blueberry and strawberry fields.  Anybody who has tried to grow these berries in New England knows that the starlings will just strip the plants of any half'ripe berries before people can pick them, unless something can be done to stop them.  For comercial growers this is many thousands of dollars in losses.  Most farmers in my area enclose their fields completely in netting, but if that isn't practical, these falconers are seemingly the best form of 'scarecrow' to be had.  The falconer shows up at dawn with a half-dozen hawks, then keeps at least one in the air all day.  Apparently the falconers have managed to train the hawks to make threatening passes at the starling flocks, without singling out a individual bird to attack.   Few starlings are actually killed, but the flocks don't stick around long enough to figure this out.  Seems to work real well - the falconers get paid, the hawks get plenty of exercise,  the farmers get to keep their blueberries, and there are even fewer complaints from the neighbors, since the farmers aren't having to use those noisy propane cannons as scarecrows!
Merchant of the Hansa, Procurer to the Queen, and complete scoundrel

HawkMom

Could you provide the link to the local paper?   Or at least the name of the paper so a search can be made?

Escarlata

I did a Google search for the words "falconers" and "blueberries" and got a number of results. Unfortunately, all the articles seen to have gone to that far away archive in the sky. The photo montage from one was still online with an explanation for each of the seven photos. You can find it at http://www.courant.com/features/food/hc-falconpatrol-pg,0,7947419.photogallery

The articles will show up, as of the date of this post, by using the cache link. However, I've found that those links will eventually expire.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

crazyrennie

Quote from: gem on September 27, 2008, 06:39:31 PM
If the OP is still interested in period art, there's a book called THE ART OF MEDIEVAL HUNTING, by John Cummins, which is exactly what it sounds like (lots of hunting art).  It's out of print, but you can find it used on Amazon, AbeBooks, etc.  Or a library.  ;)

Also, medieval tapestries are great for hawking and hunt images.  A Google image search would bring up loads of hits.

Currently in my library-my beloved splurged and got the Fredrick the Second book for me

my thanks to all that have helped!

titanias-garden

Sky Guard Falconry: Blueberry Farms Bird Control - Youtube video
http://www.skyguardfalconry.com/

"Falconers are a small but dedicated band of hunters in NJ" in "New Jersey Real-Time News" on nj.com
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/02/devoted_legion_of_falconers_in.html

Link to New Jersey Falconry Club:
http://www.newjerseyfalconryclub.com/