News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Work in Progress: Instruction Manual for First Time RenFest Goers

Started by LibraryPrincess, October 19, 2011, 04:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LibraryPrincess

I am working on majoring in English, and a project I get to work on for my technical writing course is creating an instruction manual for people who are attending the Texas Renaissance Festival for the first time. The goal is to help readers have the most fun possible, and not feel like a fish out of water, for their first RenFest experience.

I know each festival is different, but I was hoping some of you would be willing to help me out by telling me:

• What are some things a first-timer should be aware of before attending?
  • What elements make a great RenFest experience?

Any other pearls of wisdom you feel like sharing are greatly welcome. ^_^
Much thanks in advance!

- Desi
Texas Renaissance Festival
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee
Scarborough Renaissance Festival

Lady Kett

Dress appropriately for the weather! In garb or mundanes, be prepared for whatever the weather will be.
I'm amazed at the people who wear flip flops. I warned our daughter the first time she went that she might appreciate close-toed shoes and she thanked me for it later.

Bring cash. You'll need it for food/drink at the very least. Don't pay those ATM fees!

I also warn people that we take that the shows ask for tips. That way they are mentally prepared. The first time I invited a newbie, I didn't warn them and they got up and left when they realized they would be asked for a tip (and before the "just come shake our hands" part of the spiel too!). I was appalled!

Bring your camera and feel free to take pics.

And lastly, not everyone in garb works there and knows where everything is, but most do know where a lot of things are. :)

Those are my newbie tips I give to people! Well, that and "get there before cannon, that's when happy hour starts" but you may not want to put that in your paper!

LibraryPrincess

Thanks for the tips!

Also, what is this "happy hour before cannon" you speak of? /o.O\ I've been missing out on something!
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

arbcoind

Happy Hour before cannon equals tailgating in the parking lot.  At many faires it is commom for the regulars (and irregulars) to meet up in the parking lot to eat and drink (and get dressed) well before cannon.  "Cannon" means the shooting of a cannon to indicate the opening of the faire gates.

Gina

Aiacha

I learned this last year from some friends who told me they didn't really 'get' NYRF the first time they went.  Take time to look in the shops.  Some people just walk by.  Stop and smell the candles.  Sample the lotion.  Smell the leather.  You never know what you will find. 

Also, since this is a guide for TRF, the time you leave is just as important as the time you arrive.  If you wait until after the closing show you WILL sit in traffic.  Plan on it.

LadyStitch

One of the things I learned quickly is that if you are curious about something,  'ASK!'
What is the best place to eat? recomendation on shows? adult beverages?  To quote all the travel shows," Ask the locals." 
The 'locals' of the ren faire are most likely anyone wearing garb.  Most people in garb  have been to the faire enough that they know the place well, and can give you good suggestions. 

A little extra on the whole photos thing. Other than making sure you bring one, with an extra charged battery, and memory stick.  You don't have to be sneaky taking pictures of people.  If you see someone in an intresting outfit, or your kid would like a photo with a performer after a show.  Walk up to them and ask.  I will say one of the things that makes the Pink Pirate's day is when someone asks to take their picture with him.  Be it guys in studden leather, or a parent that's child is intrested in my husband's Drabbit. It seems to me that the highest form of flattery for a patron is someone asking to take their picture.
Lastly something I did on my first time but I wish I had not was  running from show to show.  Pick some shows but enjoy walking from place to place exploring the shops and cast along the way. You will miss out on alot if you just run from show to show and do not take in the things along the way.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Don't be afraid to interact with the cast or playtrons.  The TRF cast is a friendly lot, as are most of us playtrons... don't be put off if one of us start talking to you out of the blue.  Laird Nasty and I are a walking, talking, comedy routine... although our comedy tends to be a bit more on the "rough" side.  ;)  Most of us don't bite... well, Nasty does but we won't talk about that in polite company.   :D

The phrase "Lift up your cares" means many things to many people but use TRF to forget about your everyday life for a while and allow the magic of the place to seep away your stress and worries.  There isn't any place quite like it...

*read RELAX*
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

DonaCatalina

A few things I usually mention to first timers.

Wear comfortable shoes, preferebly closed toe since you will likely be walking in the equivalent of a cow pasture with rocks, sticks and stinging insects.

Be aware of what you're wearing and the weather. Your polyester polo shirt may be fine foe most things but if its 95 desgrees with 100% humidity, you will die. If you want to rent garb if that option is available, this is especially critical. That polyester velvet piece may look royal, but it will be hotter than a $2 pistol.

Bring cash but don't keep all of it in one place. It is very easy to lose a twenty when you are digging out that couple of bucks for a tip. You will need cash for food, drinks, tips and the occasional small item.

Bring something to carry your stuff that you will be comfortable with and not leave on a bench at one of the shows. I recommend fanny packs or belt pouches or similar.

Bring some water or sodas to keep in the car in a cooler. You will be thirstier than you expect when you leave.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LibraryPrincess

Thank you all for your advice! I hope to see some of you at TRF when I go again for the Highland Fling!
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Kiss-me-Kate

The other thing I can't stress enough, SUNSCREEN!!!!

Apply liberally, and often.   Your bewbs , and face will appreciate the lack of burn.   8)
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

LibraryPrincess

Haha! So true! And I found that out the hard way this past weekend. XP Itchy-burnt bewbs is no fun, and embarrassing to explain at work.

Also, as far as the after-faire traffic, this is why I hang out with Tartanic after closing, and my gang keeps the car well-stocked with awesome CDs (sometimes ones we bought while at faire) to chill to while in traffic.
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Captain Dungcaster

If Garbed folks smile and greet you give it back.
Some of us try very hard to be period in Garb and Manners. Respect that. It is our chance to get away from the mundane of everyday life.
"Fantasy Football, Dungeons & Dragons for Jocks"
I.B.R.S.C #1068.

amy

Talk Talk Talk Talk Talk to everyone.   It took me years to learn to mix and mingle with the other guests and playtrons but once I finally got over the lump in my throat and opened my mouth a whole new world opens up.   Don't worry about using "faire-speak", I can't do that very well either, but start with "good day" and enjoy the rest!

<Alex>

A word of warning: Not all acts are entirely wholesome. It's mostly innuendo, but some shows can have fairly explicit language/scenarios.  Please heed the warnings.

Also, if you plan on staying until dusk and watching the show, also plan on remaining on the grounds or in the parking lot for a few hours afterwards. The traffic can be very slow.

Member of Clan Phoneix Risen
<Scarletnyx's Husband>
<Carrier of the Bags>
<Smoker of the Hookah>
<The Quiet One>

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Captain Dungcaster on October 20, 2011, 07:13:36 PM
If Garbed folks smile and greet you give it back.
Some of us try very hard to be period in Garb and Manners. Respect that. It is our chance to get away from the mundane of everyday life.
So true! I don't usually work at the faires I go to, but I am aware that a lot of folks think I do.
 I try to behave in a way that will reflect well on the faire and the paid performers.   I don't expect a response to every greeting and well wish I dispense, but I am grateful for any acknowledgment of the same.  

My contribution:
~Faires are usually a 'family show' more or less, and there are children present.  If you decide to attend in garb the first time you go, please curb your language and do not get sloppy drunk the first opportunity you get.

~Try the Scotch Eggs

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Kiss-me-Kate

I concur on the Scotch Eggs.  I say that because our Scotch Egg booth burned to the ground, closing weekend.   :'(

And yes, if  you are at the last show of the day, or at certain acts, that are VERY bawdy- for the love of God, don't bring your kid.  AND if you do,  DON"T have the nerve to get offended and storm off in righteous indignation. 
The show my daughter performs with, is VERY bawdy, and that fact is stressed A LOT before they begin.   They still get the dumb arses that complain to management about it not being "family friendly" and their little precious heard something inappropriate.   

~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

nomad

If you plan on camping... be sure to bring a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.

otherwise everybody seems to have covered it all.
It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.

Sir Michael Geare

Whatever happened to this?  Just wondering if it was ever completed.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

The Bruce of Springstein

Get some friends, garb, and camp. If you do that the first time you will be hooked. Then you will start going to other faires. Then you will start a clan, spend all day posting to strangers on scarcely visited forums about ren fest books etc.. Before you know it, your life revolves around when faire seasons begin and end, and how to get a fix through Game of Thrones, Vikings, Skyrim or LoTR re-runs.

ON second thought. Maybe this should go in the CSD-1 under addictions...
Drink from the Horn!! Horn High Council Ballbarian Lord
Shame Thyself!
Made to Slay
Member of 'The Wrong One'

609wood

Buy yourself something small. That music CD, earrings or scarf can be enjoyed long after the fair is over. Turn off the magick box (cell phone). Even for pictures it's a distraction. Find, beg borrow or buy a cup of some sort. Adult beverages seem far more authentic when drunk from "your cup".  Most of all don't take yourself so seriously. It's time to relax and get into the spirit. Maybe get a massage, shoot a bow or throw a knife or two. The more you participate the more fun you will have. This includes pigging out! 

Dinobabe

Quote from: 609wood on September 17, 2013, 10:38:45 PM
Most of all don't take yourself so seriously. It's time to relax and get into the spirit.

YES!!  This is a Ren Faire.  Don't expect it to be a shopping mall, Disney World, or a historical reenactment.  And if you really don't like it (I guess there are those people out there) then don't criticize everything in sight in a very loud voice. :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rowan MacD

Amen to that last bit.
  If you try it, and find you really, really don't want to be at the faire, then leave.  Please.  You don't ever have to come back and no one will force you to; we promise. 
Just don't spoil the experience for the people around you.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

My son... I love him, but... he is a historian, and has an issue with Ren faires because they aren't HA.... He lives with it... or he gets flogged...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

Quote from: The Bruce of Springstein on September 17, 2013, 03:34:38 PM
Get some friends, garb, and camp. If you do that the first time you will be hooked. Then you will start going to other faires. Then you will start a clan, spend all day posting to strangers on scarcely visited forums about ren fest books etc.. Before you know it, your life revolves around when faire seasons begin and end, and how to get a fix through Game of Thrones, Vikings, Skyrim or LoTR re-runs.

ON second thought. Maybe this should go in the CSD-1 under addictions...
I don't think I know you. But many of the people on this forums are not strangers to me.  :)

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LibraryPrincess

Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on September 11, 2013, 10:57:19 PM

It was completed, but not in the manner that I would have preferred. This was a class assignment, and according to my professor, the scope I was looking at was a bit too large for the little project he had in mind. There was a page limit, and he didn't think that you could do an instruction manual on How to Enjoy Faire, so it ended up being a step-by-step instruction manual on how to order TRF tickets online, with a quick bonus section on how to prepare for your faire experience (which included a few of the points you all offered).

But I suppose this thread is good to have around, since all of you have chimed in with excellent advice. You have my thanks. ^_^
Sherwood Forest Faire
Castle of Muskogee

Craigmeister

1)  Bring $1 or $5 bills for tipping the entertainers.

2)  Belt out a hearty "Huzzah" when you see or hear something entertaining!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

PollyPoPo

Quote from: LibraryPrincess on September 25, 2013, 09:25:04 PM
Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on September 11, 2013, 10:57:19 PM

It was completed, but not in the manner that I would have preferred. This was a class assignment, and according to my professor, the scope I was looking at was a bit too large for the little project he had in mind. There was a page limit, and he didn't think that you could do an instruction manual on How to Enjoy Faire, so it ended up being a step-by-step instruction manual on how to order TRF tickets online, with a quick bonus section on how to prepare for your faire experience (which included a few of the points you all offered).

But I suppose this thread is good to have around, since all of you have chimed in with excellent advice. You have my thanks. ^_^

AH HA!  And, LibraryPrincess, you had the additional lesson in how to edit, edit, edit.

I believe there have been several attempts to write an instruction/advice manual for newbies going to RenFaires, but they all seem to just go away after a while.  It is possible that the authors start writing about what they think is relevant, then as they have questions start researching and asking others. 

Sooner or later they realize faires come in many sizes, many locations, many themes.  A few basic suggestions work for all (like wearing shoes suitable for the terrain and how to keep warm or cold depending on climate).  Some suggestions might only apply to certain faires.  The writer begins to see the true scope of such an endeavor in trying to explain renfaire to anyone who has not been. 

Everyone brings to faire some unique perspective and leaves with an adjusted point of view, whether they are enthralled or repelled by faire. 

In short, the only advice I can give to someone is to walk through the gate or doorway once.  After that you will never be a newbie again. 

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)