News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

History of RF.com

Started by Lairde Guardn, September 10, 2013, 02:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lairde Guardn

I was wondering if anyone had ever written a short history of this group.    I have been trying to put together a few things and collecting information on the many changes thru out the years to the many types of groups rennies
have had over the years.   
Lairde Guard'n
Lairde Highe Chieftain Emeritus
Irish Penny Brigade
Rogue, Teer, Otter
Landshark, Bard, DG, RFC
15.8% FaireFolk pure, 84.2% FaireFolk corrupt

DonaCatalina

Never seen anything like that. I know we lost a few people, and some information, when the old website crashed.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Craigmeister

I would say that this community is full of die-hards.  What with the advent of the necessary evil of FB, many people have moved on.  However, this is a lot better than FB as one can focus purely on the Renaissance world here.  Huzzah for those who brought this site to existence and those who still post here!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

PollyPoPo

I much prefer the forum format to FB for conversations because it is possible to view an entire conversation (thread) from beginning to end.  I do use FB, but it is not a conversation vehicle, more of a hiya from across the street while walking quickly away from each other.

Having not been on RF before the new site, I just wish I could see some of the older postings before the old site crashed. 
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Merlin the Elder

Facebook has been a blessing. It has drawn the trolls away from here, methinks.

I communicate with a lot of the folks here on FB as well, but this forum provides focus. I've also made some very good friends here, and am grateful for that.  I didn't know the old forum.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Trillium

I don't believe there is a history.  The old forum had less members, a bit more cozy when I first joined, but had grown a lot before it crashed.  We had a wonderful ongoing story that was lost in which a large portion of the members participated in.  In the beginning you recognized everone who posted anywhere and knew what faires they frequented, now we have grown so much there are a lot members that I don't have a clue who they are, much less where they are from.  Many of us have had losses, but there have also been many new additions and marriages on this forum.
Got faerie dust?

Lady Nicolette

This was certainly a very strong group before the days of facebook, even after the big shipwreck for quite some time. 
I still am here, more as an observer than in the olden days, but still love my friends that I met here for the first time.
I know it did have a profound effect on my life and is part of my personal history. 

I think it would be an excellent endeavour to have an official history of the site.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Noble Dreg

Well I used to hang out here for quite some time, before and after the "big crash".  Rarely stop by anymore because of Face Book.  So I decided to see if anyone was still hanging around and who do I see, but my old RF friend Lady Nicolette.  There are a few voices I have indeed missed!
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Welsh Wench

When the old forum crashed, we had about 48 hours to grab whatever postings and topics we wanted before it was dismantled.

I was fortunate enough to snag the Forum Lexicon along with Queen Bonnie's Official Coronation and a few other things.

It was kind of like preparing for a hurricane.
:)

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Nicolette

Awwww....thanks, Dreggie!  Good to see you, too.  I take my moderator status seriously and actually do keep tabs on my little RenDevous area and read things of interest when they pop up. 

And Wenchie, I'm so glad you hung onto Queen Bonnie's Coronation and that Lexicon, especially.  We did have a lot of fun and so many great phrases were coined.

A small group of people I met here rallied around me in a very big way at a really tough time in my life, I will never forget their loyalty.
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

DonaCatalina

I use facebook a lot more than I did. But for a purely renfaire discussion I come here.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess