News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I just started

Started by BagPipeBabe, September 12, 2011, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BagPipeBabe

I have been going to the renfaires  for a few years now and loving it. I have all ways wanted to have a shop but never had anything to sell. I love making my own grab but I am not vary good at it.
One day I saw a bag in a shop and know I had to have it. It was a turtle shell with a bag on the inside. I wear it all the time and every one who sees it want to know where i got it. But there is one thing wrong with it. The turtle shell is SO small it is not good for more then lipstick.
So... I found a way to make them myself and they are bigger.
I wanted to know if this looks like something you might buy at/for a fair. I would love feed back. Thanks and sorry I took so long getting around to want I wanted to say.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140605794466

oversee

It is really pretty, but I personally would never buy it because I have a pet tortoise and I would hate to think of him ending up that way.

Trillium

I saw one like that at a shop at TRF and my hubby fell in love with it.  We didn't buy one then but had considered it as it would go well with his barbarian outfit. I definately think people would be interested but you may want to clarify how the shell was acquired...

My step dad asked me a few weeks ago if we'd be interested in some shells that have been sitting around the house which my mom found in the woods years ago and a pouch was the first thing I thought of!!!  I'm excited to try my hand at making one for my hubby.
Got faerie dust?

Alaric

That is pretty cool. I think some people might be squeamish about where the shells come from, but it is very nice so it probably will sell  ;D

I would suggest making/selling some other interesting/non turtle pouches as well (Variety would be a good thing).

Auryn

I will be honest with you, its very pretty but personally I probably wouldn't buy it.
I know it may be hypocritical since I work in leather and wear leather.
But I know those cows were processed for food first.

I agree with Trillium that you would have to be very transparent about how the shells were acquired.
That factor would make a very big difference on whether I would buy one or not.
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

irish

if the turtles were acquired as a food source, and then the shells used for pouches, that would be fine.
but if they were just used for an adornmet, then that would be terrible.
if i was 100% sure the shells were not acquired just to make cash, i would buy one.
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Betty Munro

I am a carnivore and LOVE leather ... but I also feed the baby turtles that are finally trusting me enough to come up when I feed the pond fish.  I'd be on the fence about getting one.  Then again the one in your ebay photo is STUNNING!  Could you possibly document it as a H/A item?  I think turtle shells were used as bowls, so why not a bag?  The more I think about it, the more I think it would make a very nice addition to pirate garb!

BagPipeBabe

I could never kill a turtle. That would be so sad.
I got them from a vendor at a trades day.  The vendor said he got them from people who are selling the meat to China.
Killing for just the shell would be wrong.

Gwen aka Punstergal

I'm all for it, I think turtle shells are fantastically beautiful (just like spiderwebs and snake skins, all unique, and a synthetic version is never as amazing). I have absolutely no problem seeing the shell of a common turtle used in garbing (I've never had a bag, but i have had some tortoise shell hair combs). I would NOT endorse it if they were an endangered or even rare type, of course, but I know we ship TONS of farm bread turtles to other countries for specialty meat orders... making bags outta shells is pretty much on the same level as making bags out of gator tails, I figure.

I bet you'll have no problem selling them, and great profit margin if you can find a good source to keep getting the shells.. best of luck to you!
"Hell hath no fury like an enraged Gryphon Master"

CecilyWilkins

Beautiful work!

I agree with what seems to be the overwhelming feeling in most of the replies--I would be hesitant to buy it on principle, but if you made it clear how / from where the shells were acquired, it would drastically increase my chances of buying one.