News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Weather for Closing Weekend

Started by BubbleWright, October 27, 2011, 06:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

Looks like it is going to be a rather unusual closing weekend weather wise. Saturday is calling for rain mixed with snow, highs in the upper 30s and lows in the upper 20s. Sunday's forecast is sunny with highs in the mid 50s and lows in the mid 30s. As I can only attend Faire on Saturdays, I will be going in mundane clothes as my Faire garb is not warm enough. Don't think I'll be staying for Finale in Song.  :'( ??? :o >:(
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lady de la Warr

McGuinness

From the faire's Facebook page:

"The Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire will be closed Saturday, October 29th. The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for our area on Saturday and poor travel conditions, power outages and downed tree limbs are possible throughout the day. For the safety of our patrons, performers and staff, the Faire will be closed on Saturday, October 29th. Seasonal staff members are not required to report to work on Saturday, but will be expected on Sunday for their regular scheduled hours. The Faire will reopen Sunday, October 30th at 11:00AM for the grand finale of the 2011 season!"

So, no faire in the snowstorm tomorrow! Stay safe everyone, and I hope to see you on Sunday!

Hibernian

Thanks for the heads up! Guess I won't be driving up from Carolina to visit on Saturday. Hope to see you next season. In the meantime, our gateway to Fairhaven in the Carolinas is still open for four more weekends. Come see us!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

BubbleWright

The NOAA Weather Report:

Alert: ...FIRST WINTER STORM OF THIS SEASON TAKING SHAPE...

.A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BE DEVELOPING OVER THE
SOUTHEASTERN U.S. TODAY AND WILL HEAD UP THE EAST COAST TONIGHT
AND SATURDAY. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO MAKE HEAVY WET SNOW
OVER MUCH OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA. THE HEAVIEST OF THE SNOW WILL
COME DURING THE DAYLIGHT HOURS ON SATURDAY...BUT COULD START
OVERNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT IN THE SOUTHERN TIER. STORM TOTAL
ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE IN THE WATCH AREA.
THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL LIKELY WEIGH DOWN TREES WHICH STILL HAVE
LEAVES ON THEM...LEADING TO DOWNED TREES AND POWER OUTAGES.

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING
THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING...

* LOCATIONS...THE LOWER SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY AND POCONOS.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY WET SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 10 INCHES OF SNOW POSSIBLE.

* TIMING...LATE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY SATURDAY EVENING.

* IMPACTS...THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL CREATE SLIPPERY TRAVEL
CONDITIONS AND WEIGH DOWN TREES. POWER OUTAGES POSSIBLE.

* WINDS...NORTHEAST AT 5 TO 10 MPH BECOMING NORTHWEST WITH GUSTS
UP TO 20 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...MID 30S COOLING INTO THE LOWER 30S.

Guess I'm going on Sunday...or maybe not!
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

katie_86

So since I already have a hotel booking that I can't cancel now  >:( ; where's the party on Saturday?  ;D. We already bought our tickets so we will be there on Sunday minus a couple people. We have two extra tickets anybody want to purchase them.... 2 for 1 (that is two tickets for $30.00)

Lady de la Warr

Actually I know of someone who might want them. I will text him and have him check this thread. He's a member of this forum but I can't remember his RF name so he will contact you via either this thread or renmail if he is interested.

kcdcchef

I hope Sunday doesn't get cancelled too, since that is my one day in 2011!! But what I would give to see everyone in their garb shoveling snow Saturday.............

Lady de la Warr

I tell ya - if it was only going to be a couple of inches on the ground I would still come up. But I'm hearing forcasts of anything from 5 - 10" of snow and I'm just not interested in driving 2 hours and having to drive around in that - let alone wearing royal/noble garb in deep snow. So unfortunately I just won't be coming up for closing at all  :'(

But for what it's worth......I'll see you all next season.  8)

McGuinness

The biggest dangers here right now - aside from the roads and the overall safety and health of everyone - are the trees. Most still have their leaves so with the snow and ice, there is a big danger of falling limbs and power outages. The fairegorunds itself has LOTS of trees and many of them are really old so they are obviously worried about them falling (the Greyhound booth got destroyed in the spring during one of our big storms, for example). The plan is to be open as of now but we'll all have to wait and see.

Lady de la Warr

Colleen - when does the faire usually make the decision to close due to weather? For instance, when might we know if faire will be open on Sunday?

I'm asking because I know there are some people from Pittsburgh who are thinking about coming to faire on Sunday but it's a few hour drive and they don't want to leave Pittsburgh at 7 or 8 am only to find out faire is closed when they get there.

So do you have any insight about how much notice might be given that faire will be closed?

kcdcchef

yeah I'm one of em' driving from Pittsburgh on Sunday. Colleen we are counting on you!!!

BubbleWright

The snow fall accumulation has been revised... upwards! The forecast is now for 8 to 12 inches. I plan to show up Sunday with a shovel if need be.  ;)
   Antoine de St. Exupery

McGuinness

It depends on the conditions. The call for Saturday was made REALLY early, comparatively. They hardly ever close the faire so its hard to say, but they do try to post it as soon as a decision is made. I'd say keep an eye on the faire's Facebook page throughout tomorrow since that's where it seems to appear first before they send out an email to the newsletter list. If I hear anything, I'll try to let you guys know but since I'm in the affected area, it depends on how much snow *I* have to shovel and if the trees knock out my power too!

katie_86

we're down here at the ramada inn watching the snow accumulate plotting our adventure into Lancaster county today. See you tomorrow.

kcdcchef

not sure what it's doing out east, but here in pittsburgh, 3 hours west, the snow just started in the last hour or two, and isn't accumulating a whole lot. how bout out there in mount hope?

McGuinness

The faire has just made the official announcement that they will also be closed on Sunday as well. We got nailed pretty badly by the storm and the fairegrounds have their share of damage in downed tents, pavilions and trees in addition to several inches of snow. For anyone who has purchased tickets, visit parenfaire.com for information on exchanging these tickets for 2012 tickets.

Lady de la Warr

Thank you Colleen, for letting us know as soon as you found out faire would be closed. I have sent a text message to some of those in Pittsburgh who may not be monitoring the forums so they know not to make the drive out to faire tomorrow.

This is very sad, but totally understandable and I support the decision to close faire due to the dangerous conditions on the grounds. Safety is first and foremost and the management has this in mind when making these decisions. So while we are unhappy about this highly unusual ending to our season, unfortunately it is a necessary evil.

That said I hope everyone is safe and I look forward to seeing everyone next season at the many faires I visit during the year.