News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camp Cooking/Food etc for ye olde Vegetarians?

Started by dreamwalker, October 29, 2011, 10:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamwalker

What do you recommend for Veg persons that's filling/hearty and doesn't involve eating granola bars by the box? Campire meals just without the meat (you know the ones in the tin foil)? Any tips would be great :) 
Normal? What's that?

Glaodian

Baked potatoes, corn on the cob, etc. are the easy ones.  You could also just have some sort of mixed veggie stew.

With the weather cooling down, any sort of stew would stick to your bones and help keep you warm.  :)
--+ Glaodian +--
aka "Gman"
Si vis pacem para bellum

PollyPoPo

Basically do a lot of prep at home, then just finish off the dish in camp.

You could always parboil chunks of veggies til "tender crisp"; cool them a bit; fold them into aluminum foil packets, drizzled with oil (olive, veggie, whatever - or butter if you eat butter); store in cooler til you're ready.  Then just pop the foil packets on the grill or over the fire and heat them up; steam inside helps finish them off.  If you like some char, just skewer pieces and flame them.

As for breads and such, same thing, foil them in serving size, and just warm them at camp.  Things like couscous just need hot water.  Make dips ahead of time (chick peas, etc.) and serve them on warm breads/crackers.

There are metal things for making enclosed pies (not sure what they are called) that could be used for toasted sandwiches over a flame. 

Not a vegetarian myself, but I have found it is easier for me to kitchen-prep veggies before grilling or fire. 

Making myself hungry.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Pedlar

dreamwalker,

Recipes for vegetarian campfire meals aren't too common.  Here is a link to a camp cooking site's vegetarian section.  This is mainly a cast iron pan site.

http://camp-cook.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=54518df78e3caeebac119d9d014c0f59

pedlar

Dinobabe

Anything you can cook at home you can cook on an open fire.  Yes, even baking.  All you need is a dutch oven.  They can usually be found in the smaller hardware stores (not Lowe's etc.) for pretty cheap.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Aiacha

I made a vegi chili a few years ago that got rave reviews.  It involved using the Morningstar crumbles from the freezer section.  Also, I stumbled on this recipe while looking for one pot meals to make at a camp...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/sweet-potato-carrot-apple-and-red-lentil-soup/detail.aspx

dreamwalker

Love Morningstar Farms products also :) Love the chicken meal starter strips myself.
Normal? What's that?

Dinobabe

I am FAR from a vegetarian and I love their products as well! 
I once made a great veggie chili with jicama.  The vegetarians and hubby's work really loved it.  YUM!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DonaCatalina

Make Fettucine Alfredo with veggies ahead of time and freeze flat in gallon ziploc bag. Over camp fire boil large pot of water. Put sealed ziploc bag in water and boil for about 5 minutes.
Carefully remove hot ziploc bag and empty into serving bowl.

Actually, you can do any dish this way. We once made and froze mutton stew and vegetable couscous for 600 people in gallon size ziploc bags to be warmed on site using the boiling water method.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess