News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Best cold weather tents?

Started by dreamwalker, November 05, 2011, 08:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamwalker

I may be looking at buying a 4 season tent for Faire camping since I don't have a suitable tow vehicle for any kind of camper right now. What brands/models of tents are good for really cold weather Ren camping (like closing weekend TRF/opening weekend Sherwood). I have fit all my stuff in a Honda Civic. I'm also a tall lass (5' 10") so possibly something that could fully stand up in? What's reasonable as far as setting up and taking apart by oneself?

How helpful are those sleeping bags rated for like 20 or 0 degrees? Tent heaters?

I've got an exsisting tent possibly lined up but I have no idea until I pull it out of it's box to know what I'm dealing with.
Normal? What's that?

Rowan MacD

Do you live near a military surplus store?  
 We have a place called Canfields' here in Omaha, and they stock all kinds of survival gear at reasonable prices. Right now they are having sales on ice fishing gear, including tents that are used as shelters on the ice.  Perhaps there is something you could use in one of these stores...
  Oh, and there is always Cabellas'   http://www.cabelas.com   or Bass Pro Shops.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

dreamwalker

I'm from San Antonio, TX so it's a military town, got plenty of pro bass and academys around here. Will def have a look.
Normal? What's that?

sloth

There's an army surplus store on Bandera and 410 across the street from the HEB. Can't remember if they have tents, but I know they have the subzero sleeping bags and a bunch of other awesome camp gear. I'd check it out. 

LadyStitch

At least get a 3 season tent.  I will say those are very good then use a nice cold weather sleeping bag.  If you get a 4 season tent you are pushing 500-700, or even a grand for the tent.   We found if we got a 3 season, and had a good sleeping bag we were generally good, however we added a small colman tent heater just to take the dampness out of the air.  It isn't staying warm in bed that was the problem, or even warm out in camp. It was the whole getting out of the warm bed and into the warm clothing that was an issue.  When it dropped to 35 degrees at TRF last year, we had to debate how badly we needed to go tothe bathroom  if wanted out of our warm bed.  Adding the small heater helped keep the dampness, and the temp bareable so we could get out of bed and not freeze our bits off.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Hibernian

I'll add my two cents in with LadyStitch. Just got back from camping this past weekend with the Scouts, overnight clear skies and down to 30 degrees. I use a 3 season Eureka, the key is I'm able to close all my flaps. No open mesh to lose heat! When it really gets cold I also have a small tent heater (designed for it so no deadly fumes) to cover the "get out of the sleeping bag and into cloths moments."

When you look consider how big of a tent you really need, and then look how you can control how open and close the tent remains. 3 season is lower in cost and will usually fit the bill.
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!"

dreamwalker

Thank you so much for all your advice!!! You rock guys  8)

As it's going to be just little 'ol me I'm not worried so much for the sqaure footage but the center height. I'm five ten and it'll help being able to stand up to get garbed in the morning :)
Normal? What's that?

Dinobabe

4 season is overboard unless you plan on going to Antarctica!  Same with a sleeping bag.  Cabela's has great prices, usually cheaper than anywhere else for the exact same products.  I do my face to face research at the stores (so I can play with stuff) and then just find it at Cabela's for less.  (That's how I bought my climbing harness for about $100 less!)  Also look for a self or free standing tent.  That way you can set it up on any surface.  I would also look for a tent with a fly that extends out over the tent door.  Makes it much easier to get in and out in the rain.  A tent/fly with the vestibule attachment is a great bonus but more of a preference.  It allows you to leave the mucky stuff outside but still have it covered.  Practice setting up the tent by yourself.  Sometimes it just takes a little tweaking of technique (and the included directions).  If the tent is small enough (and free standing) you can just pick it up by the rods and shake it to get the dirt out.  That's how I do mine.  Otherwise make sure you have a small brush and dust pan.  Keep a towel or small rug just inside the door for dirty shoes, helps cut down on the dirt in the rest of the tent.  It also helps to have a stool or chair to sit on to take them off.  If you really want to make it nice get a screened in tent or just a regular pop-up and place it right in front of your tent door.  Keeps you out of the weather and gives a storage space.  And the screened one will help reduce the flying bugs in your tent!  Stuff the next day's clothing in the bottom of the bag so it will be warm the next morning (or at least the underwear!).  If you aren't backpacking consider an old fashion down sleeping bag.  It's what I use for Civil War.  Even if it's warmer it makes a great padding.  I have slept peacefully in the 20's with my down sleeping bag.  Add some quilts for added warmth and comfort.  I love to take a nap in the afternoon on top of them.  Not to be gross, but I have a "P" cup that I keep in the tent for those late night needs.  It's much warmer in the tent than out, even if it doesn't seem that warm in! :o
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

dreamwalker

Thamks so much for the advice! I was thinking of alot of the things you mentioned in getting a tent. I've also already developed a fear of the privy monster and outside the gates I'm doing the loo on my terms lol.
Normal? What's that?