News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Knights of Mayhem

Started by PamJB_66, November 06, 2011, 10:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

It's really not too bad a show, if, as is said, you can look past some of the drama.
One of the things it got me thinking about was how the Black Knights horse was scared of the armor...I imagine way back when they had a way of training the horses so this wasnt a problem?

DonaCatalina

The issues with training were one of the reasons that the expense of a good jousting horse would be roughly equivalent to a private plane these days.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Mairte

Wow...I wonder if you could desensitize a foal from a young age to armor....but then of course it takes time for them to reach adult size and such.
Private plane. :o

Rani Zemirah

We saw the show this last weekend at TRF, and it was obvious that Charlie is the only one who gets to ride the well trained mount, so even my 10 y/o daughter could tell it was rigged from the start.  Jake's mount, the black Friesian, seemed to actually be struggling to lope down the lists, stumbling and lurching a bit with every pass... and Joe's mount, the other blonde Belgian, was skittish and unused to the noise of the crowds and the flash of the sun off the armor, it seemed.  It was only the mount that Charlie rode who stood patiently, ran smoothly and had the power and stamina for the job. 

If they want to even pretend it's a fair competition they should switch out the horses in both training AND performance sessions, just so everyone has a better chance of getting a good pass, and each mount gets more well rounded training and experience.  I doubt Charlie is going to let that happen, however...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lord Clisto of York

The show revolves around Charlie, not the Knights of Mayhem. It is a drama of his passion and life with the others as seconds that he can make look bad so he looks the best. That's all it is.  If it was actually about the sport and had more people competing from all over the show would be better and maybe he would get sponsorship for the sport. But not under these conditions.I am probably more upset at Nat Geos own mindset in even doing this series the way it is. It isn't really like them and I have written them as well about it. I like the jousting itself and some behind the scenes things people should get to see, but keep it real to the sport and not about the drama of one arrogant persons life.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Athena

I'm just curious, is NatGeo affiliated with TLC, A&E, Discovery, and History Channel? I've noticed that those channels have really gone downhill in recent years and are mostly about infotainment rather than the arts or education.  Not familiar with NatGeo's current programming, but it seems that it's going along that same route.
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Lady Kett

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on November 30, 2011, 05:07:49 PM
We saw the show this last weekend at TRF, and it was obvious that Charlie is the only one who gets to ride the well trained mount, so even my 10 y/o daughter could tell it was rigged from the start.  Jake's mount, the black Friesian, seemed to actually be struggling to lope down the lists, stumbling and lurching a bit with every pass... and Joe's mount, the other blonde Belgian, was skittish and unused to the noise of the crowds and the flash of the sun off the armor, it seemed.  It was only the mount that Charlie rode who stood patiently, ran smoothly and had the power and stamina for the job. 

If they want to even pretend it's a fair competition they should switch out the horses in both training AND performance sessions, just so everyone has a better chance of getting a good pass, and each mount gets more well rounded training and experience.  I doubt Charlie is going to let that happen, however...

We probably saw the same show, Rani! So sorry we missed YOU! (again, argh!) But your comments are exactly what I thought too. The horses were NOT happy with the environment and we did not find it very entertaining so we left. Definitely not impressed.

Rani Zemirah

In the last day or so I've actually become slightly acquainted with a couple of the jousters, via facebook (although not the ones who were riding during the show we watched), and they seem to be very decent, down to earth guys who just want to propel the sport into the public eye.  I'm all for that, although I would rather it happen without all the drama everyone is talking about, I suppose.  I still haven't seen the TV show, itself, but I'm going to download the first episode and watch, just to see what all the hype is about.  I do know that any worthwhile endeavor will have it's growing pains, so I hope these guys can all get past the showboat stage and move on into the real heart of the sport, and give us all something to really appreciate and admire!  

And Kett, I am soooo bummed that we didn't get to meet and hang out!  I can't believe the number of people I DIDN'T get to talk to last weekend...  ::) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kett

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 03, 2011, 01:42:33 PM
I can't believe the number of people I DIDN'T get to talk to last weekend...  ::) 

Someone more technical than I needs to make a Rennie Tracker app!  ;)

Rani Zemirah

Ooooh!!!  Now THAT one I'd actually pay money for!!!  LOL  It would totally have to be like the map in Harry Potter, though!  Only visible if you had the magic phrase...   ;D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Adriana Rose

That would be fun. No more hunting for people who forgot their roses just point and click!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 03, 2011, 01:42:33 PM
  I can't believe the number of people I DIDN'T get to talk to last weekend...  ::) 

We missed seeing you and at least four other people asked us where you were!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Rani Zemirah

I know... I was looking for you, as well!  I never did make it to a meet n greet, unfortunately, and it was so wet on Sat. that we only got about 3 hours inside, all day. We didn't do very well with finding anyone on the inside, but we did see quite a few people in the campground. Sherwood shouldn't be quite as hectic, I'm hoping...   :D

Anyway... back on topic. There is suoposed to be a big tournament on the show tonight, and I'm planning to download the episode from the net when it's available. So far I'm not all that impressed with Charlie Andrews, but I'm beginning to like a few of the guys on his team, specifically Talon, Brian, Jake and Joe, and I'd like to see them do  well.
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Sadly it is a freaking reality show, so it will continue to feed off the dislike of Charlie and keep him center of attention   >:(
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Adriana Rose

There are ways to train a horse to get used to things that can spook it. Rodeo cowboys do it with their mounts, the other jousters do it as well, it just takes time. Just like how you don't put a guy on a horse who hardly knows how to ride let alone handle a weapon while trying to control the mount. Jeeze that is one of the things that ticked me off. Along with the fact that the assistants were not garbed up while they were working the field at the festivals that they were at.