News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I am at a Quandary.

Started by Lady Gryphon, November 14, 2011, 08:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Teague

A bit of an update:

We have contracted the lovely Lady Kathleen to make a second coat for us as well as her other contact. Lady Gryphon is going to try her hand at making the vest. I officially started the project by ordering the very first piece, namely the skull ring that Teague wears.

(And a bit of trivia on that. That is his personal ring that he has worn since 1978. I found the history on that online.
QuoteIn 1978 the celebrated London goldsmiths David Courts and Bill Hackett were working on a small scale silver sculpture of a human skeleton. Using a real skull for reference they carved a perfect miniature replica which they then moulded. When the hollow wax skull was removed from its mould the inspiration for the ring was born. Further experimentation led to the creation of the original silver skull ring. At the same time an invitation arrived from Keith Richards to his birthday party in New York - so Bill and David decided that the new ring would make a fantastic present. From the moment he put it on his finger, the magic began and he has worn it ever since.

I have also ordered a prosthetic face to modify and help make me more realistic as well.

*Especially since I was told by another Rennie at this past weekends Mobile Ren Faire while in my current Pirate garb who proceeded to give me a bit of a Mooneye and said that I was far FAR too handsome to play Teague. But don't tell Lady Gryphon that.  ;)  *

But much more is needed to be done of course. So more input and advice is certainly welcome. Perhaps sources for the material for the vest and all the other materials, sashes and whatnot, jewelry, accessories and of course, weaponry. The sword may be interesting as I cannot get a clear look at it, but it appears to have a seashell basket hilt.

And I do say again, that we have a wonderful group of people around here overall. And when I inevitably get asked the usual of question of "where did you get that piece (or garb)?" I will certainly be proud to say "This in its entirety was created and designed by all the wonderful folks at renaissancefestival.com." (To which this past weekend we made up some simple pieces of paper and passed them out with the address as well )  ;D

Plus not to mention I am more excited as ever to be going to TRF this coming weekend to do some, errr..."Man Shopping."  ;D

The Code is the Law...

DonaCatalina

TRF is a rennie shopping paradise. You will likely find some accessories there.
Brocatelle fabric is a heavier pattern that looks similar to the patterned portion of the coat.
It would be possible to find an Icanthus pattern and cut it out for applique on one side only. This would leave the outher edge intact and possibly forstall some wear related fraying. By doing it that way, it could be applied to a plain ready made coat.
http://www.mediciexhibition.hu/medici/english/img_tartalom/textilek/1_1_18nagy.jpg
http://compare.ebay.com/like/330589055672?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y
I think your ebay listing has done something similar with battenburg lace.

I googled pirate coat men red and got something from a site called Seduction Xtreme. LOL. But the coat actually looked pretty good if a little plain.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

This is going to be fun to do. The fabric of the coat appears to be a Cotton Damask with a large pattern on it. More of a Cherry Red. I have seen some fabric on eBay that just might work. I will have todo more searching in the fabric stores. I will check out the Thrift stores as well for unused Tablecloths with a pattern such as this.

The tough part will be matching the buttons as close as possible to the film's original.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

operafantomet

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on November 16, 2011, 12:06:42 AM

The tough part will be matching the buttons as close as possible to the film's original.

Might be a long shot... But what about contacting a kennel or dog club or similar, where "everything dog" would be in vogue? If they don't have it in stock, they might know where to get hold of similar buttons.

As for the actual fabric, I don't know how picky you are about the exact pattern and the fabric content, but there are some fairly good matches on eBay (not identical... but it has the overall feeling) - in all price ranges.

From cheaper cotton/polyester tablecloths:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Swirl-60-84-Banquet-Wedding-Tablecloth-NEW-/370557580773?pt=Table_Linens&hash=item5646f3f5e5#ht_500wt_1088

To expensive silk damask:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Antique-Silk-Damask-Napoleonic-Design-/360388727766?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8d793d6

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I looked at the tablecloths as well.

Thanks for the links.

I am going to check Hancock Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, and Mill End Outlets here before heqading up to the cities again.  The client lives in the Gulf region. So I must make sure the fabric is as close to 100% cotton as I can get for breathability. Once I find what I am looking for, I will buy at least 12 yards of it for the other Teague Coat I will be doing for another client next August.

Lady Gryphon

It is a long shot, but if we can acquire the photo again, Windsor Button Shop in Mass. might have a match.  I worked there a long time ago, and you wouldn't believe the buttons they have.  Maybe a photo attached to an e-mail will at least get a response from them if they do not have them, then who might. 

Just a thought. I almost forgot about them.  walls and walls of buttons.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

Lady Gryphon

Ladys and Gents

I sent a photo this morning to Windsor Button asking if they knew anything about the button and if they had any the price.  I will keep you all posted.  I almost forgot this company and I had such a good time working for them.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I was at Hancock Fabrics this evening after a dinner to buy a few incendentials. I strolled over to the Decorator Fabrics and this jumped out at me...

While the pattern is smaller than on the original coat, this Cherry Red Jacquard said Captain Teague!!!! There was 7 1/8 yards on the roll, so I bought it all. I can use the leftovers for a bodice or something.

With the tarnished Gold Ancthus leaf pattern as trim, the buttons, this fabric will look stunning.

Lady Gryphon

I think it's perfect.  I'll let Rod know you found it and have him look when he gets home.  I love the color. 

Lady G

Captain Teague

Ooooooh, me Likey!  8)

And on another note, I found a company to produce the coat buttons.....

Minimum order is a thousand, though...... >:(

Still waiting for a couple other companies to respond. And I know another online vendor who may be interested in getting some to resell in her store. Doubt she would want 800 of them though. ;)
The Code is the Law...

Kate XXXXXX

I saw buttons very like them in Duttons for Buttons in York.  Worth dropping them an email...    They provided the originals, I think.  Magical treasure chest, that place!

http://www.duttonsforbuttons.co.uk/html/tv_and_films.html

Lady Gryphon

Thank you Kate, I sent them an e-mail and a photo this morning. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Thanks for the link Kate!

Perhaps the buttons for the Teague coat will be resasonable enough because I will need at least 3 dozen for the other coat I will be making a client for his wedding next August. To have a replica of that button would make his day, as well as Lady Gryphon's.

Good to have extras.