News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

steampunk stuff

Started by jackrocks, November 13, 2011, 01:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auryn

it really depends on 3 things
1- what are the gears made out of?
2- what kind of material are you gluing them onto?
3- what is the purpose aka how much wear and tear are the gears and the place you are gluing them to going to get?

I always try to keep on hand super glue gel, hot glue and rubber cement
Scissors cuts Paper. Paper covers Rock. Rock crushes Lizard. Lizard? poisons Spock. Spock smashes Scissors. Scissors dec

TheAlchemistsStar

I personally prefer jeweler's cement.  I get mine from Rio Grande.  Because Steampunk seems to be becoming more "mainstream" lots of jewelry supply places are starting to sell "gears" for incorporating into jewelry.  I purchased a bunch of brass punch gears from Rio Grande which I then used as coins for a Steampunk belly dance belt.  I also scored old clock parts thanks to my father who likes to tinker with clocks.  The Goodwill was great for old belts and leather jackets that can be repurposed.  The Dollar Store is a great place for plastic toy guns that can be spray painted and tricked out.

VA
aka "V-The Not Quite So Pure"
IWG #3874
Local 42
OTA- Order of the Two Apples
FOKTOP Member

jackrocks

somebody needs to create a steampunk starter kit, sold at walmart for $20.:)

set of goggles, couple clock gears, copper spray paint, bottle of glue:) lol

this would make it easier for the well meaning but clueless parents and grandparents looking for gifts.

groomporter

Quote from: jackrocks on November 19, 2011, 07:19:52 AM
somebody needs to create a steampunk starter kit, sold at walmart for $20.:)

The would be offensive to some of the hard-core do-it-yourself people among the steampunk "movement" ;-)  -There are some people who actually consider steampunk as part of their lifestyle, not just the latest big cosplay fad http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12235.0.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?