News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Scored a "new" sewing machine

Started by iain robb, November 23, 2011, 06:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain robb

I've been using an old Elna that does only straight stitches, and have commented to my wife several times that it would be good to have at least zig-zag. Or actually, only zig-zag. I don't really see a need for the variety of stitches so many machines do.

Well, yesterday she found a Necchi 575FA -- free to a good home. She brought it home, and I cleaned it up, put in a new needle and threaded it ... and the thread bunches up on the underside. I'll have to check the threading again, but I'll probably take it to my local shop for cleaning, lube and adjustment even if I do get it working properly.

What surprised me -- after the steel-studded belt of the Elna -- was how quiet it is. I guess by comparison just about anything is quieter than my Elna. Seriously -- I was sewing the other day with the windows open, and didn't realize an airboat was going by on the lake outside until I stopped.

Anyway, anyone familiar with Necchis, and the 575FA in particular? Is this a good machine? It seems solid.

Pascal

Threading nest on the underside usually either means your upper thread tension is too loose ... or you've got a lint blob underneath the needle plate.

The old metal Necchi's are comparable to the Pfaff 150 line -- solid and powerful.  The 575 line is a more modern one -- don't know if it's Asian or not or if it's still Italian.

iain robb

Good call -- it was a combination of the thread tension being off and the upper threading being wrong. I reset the upper thread tension and threaded the upper thread properly, and it works great.

Now I've set it aside to take it to my local sewing machine shop for a cleaning, lubrication and adjustment.

Not sure if it's made in Italy or Japan, but it's a solid machine.