News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Norman, OK

Started by LadyJessica, November 28, 2011, 01:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyJessica

So after hearing about this faire from a few friends, I'm really thinking of making it out to this one.  Anyone wanna go with me?
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Craigmeister

If next year is as good as this year was, you'll have 400,000 people going to Norman with you.  It's the biggest one weekend event in Oklahoma.  Huzzah!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

dbaldock

Quote from: Craigmeister on December 06, 2011, 11:30:02 PM
If next year is as good as this year was, you'll have 400,000 people going to Norman with you.  It's the biggest one weekend event in Oklahoma.  Huzzah!

If they really have 400,000 people attend during the course of a three-day weekend, I hope it's a pretty big facility!   :o   ;)   :D

Also, someone "official" should probably update the Faire listing here on the RenFest.com Forums, since they still say 150,000 for attendance.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Craigmeister

The Medfaire is in a HUGE park.  I'll pass a message on to the organizer of the faire.  She took over the reins a year ago & may not be aware of the listing on this site yet.  Grammercy.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Rowan MacD

This is a FREE event too. (not counting $5.00 for parking) How do they manage to have Jousting, etc there?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

With that many visitors on one weekend, I should think that the local businesses would be thrilled to sponsor/fund the faire.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Craigmeister

And with over 200 vendors, they're making lots of money to pay for great entertainment like jousters, Arabesque and Tullamore from Kansas City.

Duke of Remington

Only a couple weeks until faire. I'm hoping it won't be near as dusty and windy as last year. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you!!!
Your grace will not surrender to thine enemies.

raevyncait

Quote from: Duke of Remington on March 18, 2012, 09:14:51 AM
Only a couple weeks until faire. I'm hoping it won't be near as dusty and windy as last year. Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you!!!

I am STILL finding grass & straw in pouches and my suitcase from last year's event! Unfortunately, there's too much going on right now for me to make it this year.
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Coch

Mi lady and I shall be going also. The years that I have attended that were dry and dusty were better then the ones that were wet and soggy. It has been one or the other every year. It is a great faire for shopping.  A lot of vendors.
Rhys Coch

Craigmeister

I think I'll be able to make it on Friday.  This will be the first faire I've attended on a Friday.  The organizer let me know that it is not solely for children.  Huzzah!

Rani Zemirah

They DID actually estimate roughly 400,000 for last year during the three day event, and I can seriously see it being easily that many.  People come from not only all over the state, but from the surrounding states, as well, and while some stay for the weekend, many only come for a day, or even half a day.  Some locals only come for a few hours to shop, or see a show, or even visit with friends who come in just for this Faire, but it's always packed if the weather is good, so there is constant patron turnover, with people arriving as others are leaving, and it goes on all day, every day, of the festival.  Just on Friday, alone, they average around 65-70,000 students during school hours, because they're only there for around 3-3.5 hours for each school or group... and they fill most of the 4500 space parking lot with buses, plus several surrounding satellite lots, as well.  And it's far from only kids on that Friday, also.  Constant stream of cars coming and going, and many vendors skip 8 week Faires to vend at NMF, because people are ready to spend money when they get there!  It IS supported by community businesses, also... as well as vendor's fees, and since it's run by the city of Norman, the taxes benefit the community.  The fact that it's a free event draws huge numbers, as well... and people here are not just willing to make the trip, they're eager, because they know it's only going to be here for one weekend.  

We're hoping to be able to make it at least Saturday and Sunday, although this will be the first year in many that I haven't kept my daughter home from school so we could attend on Friday, as well.  Just can't afford the gas all three days this time, unfortunately...  

Oh, and I'm hoping that it will be ANYTHING besides windy and dusty again this year!  I was miserable last year on Sunday, and it was the first year in the last 10 that's I've left before closing...  I just couldn't deal with it, and I would rather it was like year before last... wet, cold and misting the whole time, instead of hot, windy and dusty! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Craigmeister

It's off to Norman this Friday for the Medieval Faire!  Huzzah!  I hope to see you there!  (I'll be dressed as Robin Hood with brown trousers.)

Rani Zemirah

We'll be there... with friends in tow both Sat. and Sun. (no Friday for us, this year, unfortunately)... and while I'm not perfectly clear on everything else I'll be wearing, I know I'll have on a maroon Moresca Pirate bodice... and I'll have a (not so) small-ish Scally Wag somewhere in my wake!  :D

Hoping to see many friends this year!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

The Rabbi

To all headed for Norman this weekend Have a great Faire looks to be a fun filled time.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP