News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Necromancers

Started by faustinblack, December 02, 2011, 03:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faustinblack

Any one ever see a necromancer at a ren faire? I'm wanting to use a character from one of my stories and she's a captain of a ranger-type group. They call her the Corpse Talker, because she's a necromancer. But does that go along with the ren faire thing? Pardon the newbie questions :)
Haakaa paalle!

DonaCatalina

There is nothing wrong with you adopting any character that you wish to adopt. I will be the first to tell you to play whatever makes you happy.
However, you need to be prepared for the following issues and I hope you have thick skin.

1. Most other Rennies won't 'get it' unless they have read the same books or played the same games.
2. A significant number of people will consider a character of black magic as inappropriate for a setting of mixed ages.
3. Again a large number of people will either ignore the character or give you grief because the character is not viable for the Renaissance era of 1400-1600.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Teague

Define Necromancer. And the reason I say that is that those truly do not have a general dress or feel, I have seen all sorts of garb and artwork depicting them. Likely you will be taken as some other type of character. For example, my Darklord character was most often called a Barbarian King at the Texas Ren Fest over this past Thanksgiving weekend. But I am good with that, keeps people guessing.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

faustinblack

I guess I'm thinking as a writer more than a 'rennie' :) cause it's not like my character can raise the dead for real. But when I really think about my character does not dress any different than any of the other soldiers in my world, and they in turn dress practically. Soldiers wear armor, so my character wears armor... Hmmmm. Sorry for the rambling, just working stuff out in my head. But thank you for ya'lls replies :)
Haakaa paalle!

stonebiscuit

If I saw a necromancer, I didn't know what I was seeing. If you're going as a patron, cover your bathing suit areas and don't swear in front of the children and you'll probably have no trouble.

Aderin

Quote from: stonebiscuit on December 03, 2011, 10:46:46 PM
If I saw a necromancer, I didn't know what I was seeing. If you're going as a patron, cover your bathing suit areas and don't swear in front of the children and you'll probably have no trouble.

HAHA! Solid advice for any and every playtron/cast! Thanks for this :)
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Aderin

Black, black and more black? I see necromancers as those infatuated with death and thus dressed as such. I see finger bones dangling on their necklace and skulls draped around their waist. I see a gnarly, ghoulish looking staff and a huge book of spells on their waist. Yes, I love your idea and I hope you will attend the faire as a feared but venerable necromancer!!!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.