News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What book are you currently reading?

Started by Valiss, September 13, 2010, 01:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laedyfaire

Quote from: RefMom3 on February 07, 2024, 10:42:25 PMI remember many years ago (maybe in the late 80s?),  during a visit to Bristol, my now ex-husband wanted to pay Christoph $20 to hurl insults at his best friend who was with us, but we never seemed to be able to catch Christoph on the grounds at a time he wasn't doing something. There's a part of me that isn't sorry I missed it... Hope you enjoy the book!
[quote author=RefMom3 link=msg=450930 date=1707367345

Oh boy! Lol! So you've seen him ! I never saw his act :/. Would not want to be insulted by him I bet he can really "go there" lol...His "Between Two Fires" was great

RefMom3

I have seen him, but I really don't remember anything specific,but I did know I didn't really want to be nearby if the deal had gone through and the insulting commenced  ;D

laedyfaire

Sounds like he knew his way around an insult !

I'm dragging through this book btw. My son liked it but I'm disappointed.

RefMom3

Is this your book club book, or the Christopher Buehlman? If it's the book club, that's still ok if you don't care for it; that may make a more lively discussion. If it's the latter or another book you've picked up for your own enjoyment, let me share a piece of advice from a librarian named Nancy Pearl, who is a librarian from Seattle who developed a whole new way of doing book recommendations for reader's advisory. I think one of the most sensible things she'd come up with was to give a book your age plus 10 pages to decide if you should finish a book you're not enjoying. She says if it hasn't caught your interest by then, put it down and pick up another. It may not resonate with you at this moment, and may not ever, but you can always return to it later and try again. There are too many books that you will enjoy to spend time on one you're not enjoying. And don't feel guilty about it. There isn't one book in the world that will connect with everyone. (Ok, I'm finished ;) )

Trillium

Very good advice! Sometimes books just don't click. I give it several chapters before I let it go.
Got faerie dust?

laedyfaire

I've replied twice to this but don't see my posts.

Yes good advice.. I have the book 130 pages.. eh.. I'll try again down the road

RefMom3

Quote from: laedyfaire on February 28, 2024, 07:52:45 AMI've replied twice to this but don't see my posts.

Yes good advice.. I have the book 130 pages.. eh.. I'll try again down the road

You are seen, laedyfaire ;)

laedyfaire

Craigmeister

"Crecy, 1346: Triumph Of The Longbow" by Osprey Books.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

RefMom3

The first time I remember reading about Crecy was in the novel Katherine, by Anya Seton, which I read (the first time) when I was about 10 or 11. My parents belonged to the Literary Guild when they got married in 1956, and that was in the bookshelves, so I read it. I think it was the first thing I'd ever read set during the Middle Ages. Hope you enjoy the book~ :)