News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Useless fact of the day!

Started by Valiss, December 05, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Being from Arkansas, I had to check that out, Rowen.   It seems that's folklore.

In Little Rock, flirtation between men and women on the streets may result in a 30-day jail term. Now THAT'S real law!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Jack Daw at Work

The expression, "cup of joe", referring to a cup of coffee, originated with Josephus Daniels (1862-1948), who was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913.  Among his reforms in the U.S. Navy was abolishing the officers' wine mess; so, from then on, the strongest drink aboard ship could only be coffee, and over the years, a serving of coffee became known as "a cup of joe".

Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

LadyFae

Every person has a unique tongue print.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Jack Daw at Work

(Next time I burglarize a home, I'll remember not to lick the countertops.)

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

LadyFae

Hyenas were once domesticated and raised for food in ancient Egypt.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Jack Daw at Work

The expression, "feeling blue" may have come from a custom among many sailing ships.  If the ship lost the captain or any of the officers during a voyage, she would fly blue flags and have a blue band painted along her entire hull when returning to home port.

LadyFae

Despite the hump, a camel's spine is straight.
Amanda  =D

Merlin the Elder

...there you go...talking about sex again...

LadyFae

Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under his cap to keep him cool.  He changed it every 2 innings.
Amanda  =D

Jack Daw at Work

The "head" is the bathroom aboard a US Navy ship.  The term is derived from the old sailing ships when the place for the crew to relieve themselves was all the way forward on either side of the bowsprit, the front part of the hull to which the figurehead was fastened (Think of the Argo in Jason and the Argonauts).

LadyFae

The largest earthworm ever found was in South Africa.  It measured about 20 feet long.
Amanda  =D

Rani Zemirah

Sounds like an anaconda, to me!  :o 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

LadyFae

If Barbie were life-size, she would be 7'2" and her measurements would be 39-23-33.
Amanda  =D

Jack Daw at Work

Is there anything wrong with that?  Amazon women have a right to live, too.

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on November 20, 2013, 03:01:32 PM
Is there anything wrong with that?  Amazon women have a right to live, too.
Yeah...and they have good prices on books, too!