News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Useless fact of the day!

Started by Valiss, December 05, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoowil

Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on October 24, 2013, 06:33:42 AM
The expression, "cup of joe", referring to a cup of coffee, originated with Josephus Daniels (1862-1948), who was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913.  Among his reforms in the U.S. Navy was abolishing the officers' wine mess; so, from then on, the strongest drink aboard ship could only be coffee, and over the years, a serving of coffee became known as "a cup of joe".
I heard that the americano is called that because of American GIs in Europe during and after WWII. The local coffee was too strong and bitter for their tastes, especially espresso, so they would ask to have it mixed with hot water. So if you drink americanos, you drink your espresso like an American, watered down.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

LadyFae

Skunks can spray up to 20 feet, but they are only accurate up to 5 feet.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

RenStarr

Because of the rotation of the earth, an object can be thrown farther if it is thrown west.
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

Jack Daw at Work

Quote from: Hoowil on November 20, 2013, 04:30:53 PM
Quote from: Jack Daw at Work on October 24, 2013, 06:33:42 AM
The expression, "cup of joe", referring to a cup of coffee, originated with Josephus Daniels (1862-1948), who was appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson in 1913.  Among his reforms in the U.S. Navy was abolishing the officers' wine mess; so, from then on, the strongest drink aboard ship could only be coffee, and over the years, a serving of coffee became known as "a cup of joe".
I heard that the americano is called that because of American GIs in Europe during and after WWII. The local coffee was too strong and bitter for their tastes, especially espresso, so they would ask to have it mixed with hot water. So if you drink americanos, you drink your espresso like an American, watered down.

The important coffee is that coffee is my favorite coffee, do you coffee that?
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

LadyFae

5% of all women surveyed say they never wear underwear.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Rowan MacD

Time to resurrect this amusing thread!

My entry for October 28th 2014:

When possums are playing 'possum', they are not "playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Hoowil

And fainting goats are really having a seizure, not fainting.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Rowan MacD

A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

About twenty-five percent of the population sneeze when they are exposed to light (the 'sun-sneeze' is genetic).
IWG wench #3139 

Rowan MacD

The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they can be easily confused at a crime scene.
IWG wench #3139 

Toua Taru

Vikings would give their injured men onion soup. If you could smell the soup through the abdomen after it was eaten, it meant that man was beyond treatment.
Leave a little sparkle wherever you go

House Hufflepuff
Lady of The Eighth House

RenStarr

"Almost" is the longest word in the English language with all the letters in alphabetical order
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.

Merlin the Elder

Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

RenStarr

The dot over a "j" or an "i" is called a "tittle".

Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: RenStarr on October 30, 2014, 07:19:32 AM

Is that where we get the word "titillation'? 

It's against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska.  (Apparently farts are still OK)
IWG wench #3139 

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Rowen MacD on October 30, 2014, 10:24:25 AM
Quote from: RenStarr on October 30, 2014, 07:19:32 AM

Is that where we get the word "titillation'? 

It's against the law to burp, or sneeze in a church in Nebraska.  (Apparently farts are still OK)

I'm guessing there are a lot of old farts in church in Nebraska (remember Confusious says "he who farts in church, sits in own pew :) "
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell