News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Pyrate Festival in Memphis, TN last weekend in Sept.

Started by LadyMorna, January 05, 2012, 12:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyMorna

It's been ages since I've posted here, or at least it feels like it.  Anyone planning on going to the 2012 Mid South Pyrate Fest in Memphis the last weekend in September???  Anyone have any comments on last year's?  I have family in that area, so I think we will give it a try this year.
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Captain Teague

Well, welcome back, then.  ;D

Is this their site? Needs updated if so. *Edited so the link actually works*

http://www.pyratefestival.com/id3.html

We may look into it if we get better info on it. Their site is rather vague, not even a map or directions. And yes hearing from anyone who has been is a definite plus.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Merlin the Elder

It's held on Mud Island. If you don't know where that is, it's downtown, right on the Mississippi River.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Captain Teague

Only been to Memphis once, a friend is a real Elvis groupie and we went to do the memorial thing.  Wasn't trying to sound snarky because I am truly interested. But it gripes me a little when events are being held and  ( again, if that is the official site ) it is a year behind, no maps or directions per se....etc. Better than their facebook though, it is still showing things from 2010. Not blindly knocking it either because I have organized and run events (although not half the magnitude of things like this ) and know firsthand they are far from easy to promote or organize.

I have seen far worse though. One I remember well is that the address given wasn't within 5 miles of the place, the phone contact was disconnected and the email kicked back all queries because their box was full. Still did manage to find it (although it was years ago and me with a younger spirit and a better sense of hide and seek frame of mind and we had great fun once we found it )

We love going to new faire types places and seeing new things. But I am too old for a "wander round the big city while trying to find the place" adventure.  ;D

But just my piece of eight on it. Still hoping for more info.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Merlin the Elder

I think you'll find, my friend, that for most of these type events—faires included—very little gets updated until rather close to the event. It's a matter of getting all the contracts completed, I suppose. My thought is that lots of acts will hold off signing, hoping for a better paying gig. Having gigged for 40+ years, I totally understand their logic, but it does make getting schedules updated a pain in the buttress.

LadyMorna

I saw where they have begun a 2012 website for their festival, but it's just bare bones right now.  I am keeping tabs on it, and will share the link when they have more info posted.  However, I'll bet that won't happen till at least sometime this summer.
Mistress of Conundrum Castle, Wife of Sir Marcas McLaren, and Lady-in-Waiting to two royal housecats

Captain Teague

Let us know. Perhaps there will be an extra disreputable ruffian or two within the mix.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

BLAKDUKE

I could be mistaken and am thinking of something else, but did they not do that event in 2011?????
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Captain Teague

Well, now that I fixed the link above,lol.....they say they did, anyway.

http://www.pyratefestival.com/
The Code is the Law...

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: BLAKDUKE on January 10, 2012, 05:59:14 PM
I could be mistaken and am thinking of something else, but did they not do that event in 2011?????

Where it's held is in the flood zone of last Spring. I seem to recall being quite surprised that is was being held in an area that had been underwater, or nearly so, just a few months prior.

renfairephotog

Dinobabe was invilved with lasy year.

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=15703.0

I know the St louis Pirate fest was cancelled this year so they can work on the St Louis RF site for an anniversry in 2013.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer