News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Cats on the KCRF Grounds

Started by kcdcchef, December 20, 2011, 11:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcdcchef

Not sure if anyone is following along on the KCRF's Facebook posts or not, but someone dropped off over 16 cats on the festival grounds this fall. Sixteen. They did their absolute best to find homes for all of them, and worked VERY hard to find them all homes. They got 7 people off of FB to come out and take a cat, and then Mr. Peterson, the owner of the festival, and he paid out of pocket for four of the cats to go to a shelter that does not kill the animals, it finds them homes. No matter how long it takes. Anyways, 4 of the cats ran off and are missing, and sadly, one had to be put down because it had feline leukemia. Sad.

I just think it says a lot about the KCRF fans that 7 of these cats found homes from KCRF patrons. And also a lot of people speak poorly about festival management, at Christmas, the KCRF year round staff paid to feed these kitties for several weeks. And then the festival owner, who also gets ripped all the time, that he stepped up and paid for a shelter that will find the cats home, took them. Now the poor kitties are not out in the cold all Christmas. Great work guys. GREAT WORK!

Sitara

Kinda off topic: I thought Jim Peterson owned KCRF. The website looks exactly like the MNRF one and even says Mid-America Festivals at the bottom which is Jim Peterson's company. I am pretty sure he owns MNRF, MIRF, KCRF and BARF. Jim Paradise is CORF and Pittsburgh as far as I know.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

kcdcchef

Quote from: Sitara on December 21, 2011, 03:13:42 AM
Kinda off topic: I thought Jim Peterson owned KCRF. The website looks exactly like the MNRF one and even says Mid-America Festivals at the bottom which is Jim Peterson's company. I am pretty sure he owns MNRF, MIRF, KCRF and BARF. Jim Paradise is CORF and Pittsburgh as far as I know.

yeah, I go to both, I live in Pittsburgh and go to Pittsburgh once in a while, but grew up in KC so KCRF is my home faire and I go there EVERY YEAR. So I messed up the P's. Whopps!

The Rabbi

Kuddos and Huzzah!!! I can not understand the thought process of dumping animals anywhere. At the risk of sounding cruel it is more humane to put a domestic animal of anykind down then to just turn it loose to starve or get injured and then starve. that being said and before I start getting hate mail lol I have 3 rescue Ferrets, 1 rescue dog, 16 cats 4 started out as rescues {plenty of field mice and snakes for them to eat} and 2 rescue horses. Good thing I am an animal person.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

kcdcchef

oh I agree. i hate to see animals put down. but if you feel the need to abandon, at least have the mercy to abandon it in a cage in front of a shelter. sucks to be that crappy, but then the animal has a fighting chance. domestic animals being abandonded is horrible. they have to fend for themselves against animals they've never had any experience with, possums, coyotes, snakes, it's sad. but a rather good story during the holidays to warm your heart though!

Merlin the Elder

I don't understand folks who get a pet—dog, for example—and leave it outside, never giving it any attention or love. I have 2 rescued dogs, grade-A large, that stay indoors and get tons of affection.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

kcdcchef

yeah we have two cats that are rescues. we got them from a petsmart, which ONLY sells cats or dogs that are rescued from local shelters. these two fatties we have were rescued as homeless kittens, and then bought and returned within a week because the people that got them said they were too affectionate and needy. not for us. we love these fatasses!

Sitara

A few years ago we adopted a stray cat at MNRF. Though I should say he adopted us since he jumped right in our van and made himself at home.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Merlin the Elder

It seems that adopting cats is unusual. Cats adopting you, however, appears to be the norm.  When we moved here, a feral cat started showing up and grazing in a bowl of dog food we kept on the deck for our dog. We started feeding him cat food, afraid that with too much dog food, he would keep us up at night barking at himself...  ???  It took well over a year before he would even allow us to pet him.

He's been coming around now for close to 15 years, and he's obviously only hanging on to one life. He likes to be cradled in Nim's arms now. We can't bring him inside because one of the dogs would dispatch him in short order. Apparently, to assist him in his old-age, he adopted a kitten, also feral, last spring. The kitten now will allow us to pet her, but not much else. She lays on top of him and preens his coat for him, cleans his ears, and keeps him warm. Oddest thing I've ever seen with two cats... so yeah, feed them too. Last trip for dog food set me back $150.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...