News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How important are weapons to your persona?

Started by DonaCatalina, March 04, 2009, 09:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Thorne

For a number of years, I have carried my sword and dagger to faire and I feel out of sorts if I don't have them with me. As a matter of fact, I have been asked quite a few times where I got the sword.

On the other hand, I didn't carry either weapon with me when I attended the Michigan faire (this was back when they didn't allow weapons) and I didn't have any problem not carrying weapons as no one else attending the faire had them either.
Jared Thorne
aka Sir Charles of Loveland Castle
KOGT
Rogue #261
LVH #76
IFRP #80

Craigmeister

My weapons are essential to my character.  I  am an English longbowman at faire so if I didn't have them or my hat, people might think that I man a trebuchet.  I have yet to attend a faire that won't let me carry them around although I don't know how to tie my bow in a piece not.

Several people have asked me if I'm going to put on a shooting display but most of the faires in my part of the country don't have an archery range.  I have thought about creating an acting schtick with shooting but I'm sure the insurance costs for the faires and me would be out of this world. 
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Craigmeister on December 09, 2011, 07:22:19 AM
My weapons are essential to my character.  I  am an English longbowman at faire so if I didn't have them or my hat, people might think that I man a trebuchet.  I have yet to attend a faire that won't let me carry them around although I don't know how to tie my bow in a peace knot.

Several people have asked me if I'm going to put on a shooting display but most of the faires in my part of the country don't have an archery range.  I have thought about creating an acting schtick with shooting but I'm sure the insurance costs for the faires and me would be out of this world. 

You should visit Scarborough sometime to participate in their longbow competition.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

SirRichardBear

Quote from: Craigmeister on December 09, 2011, 07:22:19 AM
My weapons are essential to my character.  I  am an English longbowman at faire so if I didn't have them or my hat, people might think that I man a trebuchet.  I have yet to attend a faire that won't let me carry them around although I don't know how to tie my bow in a piece not.

I carry my longbow in a bow bag its period and when asked what's in the bag I use that as an excuse to open it show it off, show how to string it, etc and explain I carry it this way to protect it from the weather.  The arrows are in an arrow bag or if I'm using an open quiver I peace tie the arrows. 

If you can make Scarby we have an open tournament Sunday at 5pm,  period single or stright bows 50# or under and period arrows with bullet points we have tournament bows and arrows but you are welcome to shoot your own at your own risk and after clearing them with the tournament masters to make sure they meet the tournament regualtions.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Craigmeister

I would like to compete at Scarby.  I keep trying to get down there but family plans keep taking precedence.  I did compete in the Four Winds archery tourney two years ago as soon as I bought my bow but some 10 year old kid beat me that day.  :-)
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Molden

I only wear weapons on occasion anymore. But when I do, I wear my "Trophy Wife" a beauteous functional cutlass in a custom made baldric from Leather Dreams. 
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

amy

Oh Molden,  you know your best weapon is that smile.

Captain Teague

Where else am I going to take my toys?

They get real upset when I wear em to work or the Mall...... *Wicked Smile*
The Code is the Law...

Craigmeister

Quote from: Lord Dragon on December 12, 2011, 02:02:45 PM
Where else am I going to take my toys?

They get real upset when I wear em to work or the Mall...... *Wicked Smile*

Huzzah!

Jack Daw at Work

I used to wear my claymore in a back scabbard, along with my dirk and a sgian dhu.  I haven't worn my claymore to the TRF in a long time, but I still carry my dirk peace-tied.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

daggrim

As a Viking persona, I carry my seax always, hanging horizontally across my rear end.  In Saxon England it was considered the mark of a free man to wear the seax/sax.  It was a ubiquitous weapon in Scandanavia, England, and Normandy in the Middle Ages...like carrying a six gun in the Wild West.
Then I carry some kind of utility knife.
Each knife is on a separate belt, so I can remove the sax without loosing my pouch and my toothpick.
My spear stays in the tent, except during a parade, because shopping with that thing sucks.
Daggrim

A merry heart has a continual feast.