News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fair Oaks Tudor Fayre

Started by Merry, June 22, 2008, 09:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merry

If you are in the Sacramento area, the Fair Oaks Tudor Fayre is this weekend.  It's a Henry VIII fair and it's located on the corner of Fair Oaks and Madison in Fair Oaks Park.  Last year was my first year there and I had a great time!  Come check it out!

Lady Toadflinger

Merry, You mean June 28 and 29, right?  Those are the dates that I found on line.  I hope they're correct, since we were planning to attend on the 29th!  It is a nice Faire, but often really HOT. (like 105 at least one year)  We were happy that year to be doused with ice water, regardless of possible damage to our garb!  :o I hope it is a bit cooler this year. ;D
keeper of the royal menagerie

Hoowil

Been planning on it for months. Been working on garb for it for.. days?  :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Merry

days?  Really? that long?   hehehe :D  Same here:)  I'm working on a new snood for Fair Oaks as it is a hot fair, and muffin caps are too hot!

Merry

Hoowil

Yup, days  ;D. Kids grow so darn fast, if I'd started a month ago, it wouldn't fit for the faire. Then, if time allows, I want to get a new bodice and chemise, and skirt (entire ensemble really) done for the wife. Then, maybe, just maybe, I can replace the flat cap the cats destroyed for myself. So lets see.. finish bodice for kid, make chemise for kid, make complete outfit for wife, make hat for me, in a grand total of 4.5 days  :o, while whatching the munchkin, clearing brambles, and cleaning the house. Should be fun  :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Lady Toadflinger

The Faire is  tomorrow!  I sure hope the smoke doesn't put too much of a damper on the fun. :( At least it looks as if it won't be 105 this year. Now I just have to figure which garb to wear! (pirate, wench or middle class) ??? Which is cooler?

Hoowil

Cooler? Are we talking temperature, or style?  ;D

Faire is TODAY!!! WOOT! Now I've just got a couple hours to finish everything... good thing the little one gets up at the crack of dawn (I guess).

Lady Toadflinger

Aha! I decided to be a Pirate Wench, thus covering two options!  We just got home, and the Faire was nice, but it seemed a bit smaller than in years past. Attendance seemed down, too. At least the weather was nice, with a breeze early on to help clear some of the smoke. We enjoyed ourselves anyway.

Hoowil

Went on Saturday. Still smoky, and definitely on the warm side. Wish I went today instead, but scheduling didn't allow. :(. Or at least wish I went earlier in the day, to beat some of the heat.
Attendance seemed very sparse. Not as many patrons as I remember, not as many merchants, and not as many performers. Don't know if it was the economy, the smoke, or what.
I'll definitely be there again next year though.
My daughter thought the playground was absolute heaven.

Merry, didn't get a chance to stop and say hi. Spent most of my time chasing the little one. If you saw a man running around after or with a toddler dressed in wine colored garb Sat after about 2, that was probably me

Merry

Where were you Hoowil?  I didn't know you would be in an encampment?  Are you a guildie or a vendor?  I was at Castlewood, right near Court.  I'm bummed!

You weren't there on Sunday?  Sadness... you missed the constables chasing all the Jack Sparrows for drubbings.  It was priceless!

Merry

Hoowil

I wasn't in an encampment. I was there for a few hours in the afternoon, just a simple playtron. I missed last year, but this was the first time I was approached about zip-tieing a weapon. They used to not care. I wonder if something happened. Hope not.

I've thought about trying to get into vending at small faires, as there are s few things I dabble in enought that I might be able to break even now and again, but probably just a pipe dream. My wife and I were just joking about building a portable hearth-oven and selling fresh pies and breads, but probably not any time soon. Maybe after I finish school (if ever). I did get offered a job with a bladesmith about 14 years ago at Black Point, as he knew one of my uncles. Didn't have transportation at that point  :(, so I couldn't o it, but thats the closest to a vendor I've been.

Merry

I noticed the zip/peace-tieing of the blades also.  I don't think anything happened, just precautionary.  The zip ties help prevent accidental brandishing.

Black Point, huh...you've been at this longer than I.  My first fair was in 98.  This is my second year at Fair Oaks.  Last year was my first fair with my guild Castlewood.  I finally took the plunge and joined one.  I've been having lots of fun.

Fair Oaks was great, lots of atmosphere and the smoke was beginning to thin so the air wasn't too bad.  By Sunday we saw blue sky!  Fair closed at 6 on Sunday instead of 5 like other fairs.  I enjoyed the extra hour of play, but tear down was late, I was beat when I finally got home.  That is one of the lovely things about being local to a fair:)  My own bed.

We visited the Dirty Scot and sampled some lovely cordials, meads and other yummies.  mmmm.....  that man is an artist.

Hoowil

Spent my time chasing the little one.

Hoowil

Quote from: Merry on July 02, 2008, 09:15:04 AM

Black Point, huh...you've been at this longer than I.  My first fair was in 98.  This is my second year at Fair Oaks.  Last year was my first fair with my guild Castlewood.  I finally took the plunge and joined one.  I've been having lots of fun.

Thinking back, I miss-rememberd my first faire. First time at the Pleasure Faire, during its stint of 'annual last year at the site', which went on for probably five or six year, was in 91. Didn't really start going regularly, or the Fair Oaks until 94.
Hey, there used to be a blacksmith who would set up shop at Fair Oaks. Haven't seen him in years. Added a little somethign to have the hammering of metal, and the smell of coal in the air. I used to try to get him to take me on as an apprentice. Almost succeded one year.....

Merry

Little one is Waaayyy to cute!  Good job on her garb:)