News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lovely...(NOT)

Started by Capt. Morgan, January 10, 2012, 05:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Morgan

Lovely...simply F-ing lovley....

http://starbeacon.com/local/x1818102520/Legal-problems-plague-Medieval-Faire

As the song goes "Let us drink and be merry, all grief to refrain, for we may and might never all be here again..."

I hope that's not true...I hope to see many of my RF friends at GLMF this year! I hope!
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Merlin the Elder

It seems I read something about this township quite some time ago, and got the distinct impression that some of the locals were convinced that there was some serious "witchcrafting" going on there. In this day and age, it stuns me to imagine that there are still people around that are that backward—and uninformed—about Wicca, and so much so that they use it as leverage to destroy something they don't realize is a benefit to them.

Especially with the economy in the shape it's in, you would think that a town would be thrilled to have something going on that brought in substantial revenue, in both the tax coffers, and the local economy in general. I hope they (GLMF) survives this.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

I will admit to never having visited the area personally, but if the description is correct, the faire probably brings in more than 30% of the annual business income.  Per the website, the township  has a population of a little over 1400 souls, all of which are rural.   If the faire goes away, the town might just disappear.
  Unfortunately, petty tyrants are all too common in small jurisdictions like this.  My town has a population of 14,000 + and we still get the occasional closet bigot in office (though to our credit, we quickly purge him/her).  In a town as tiny as Trumbell Township, there are probably few that care enough or have the desire to run the town, and there is always the risk that someone with a personal agenda will fill the vacuum.   If most of the residents are elderly, retired or otherwise don't care about the faire either way, this guy/group can use the town coffers anyway they want, even to the detriment of the local economy.   It is doubtful the locals will do anything about it, if they even know what is happening around them.   

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Capt. Morgan

Oh, they know what's happening, and how much the Trustee's have spent trying to get rid of the Faire...and they still vote these guys back in even tho' they had new candidates running last year. The (powerful) few are ruling and they do not like the Faire or the owner...

Merlin the Elder

Do you live in the area, Captain?  Perhaps you should run for office.

Capt. Morgan

Live 40 miles away from Faire....and I'd have to have my brain replaced by a cauliflower to go into politics!  :D

Merlin the Elder

Therein lies the problem. All the smart people stay out of politics. It's a Catch 22.  :P

Jared Thorne

I know exactly what you mean. We have had to deal with a similar PITA in the Symmes Township admin who has been trying to take the castle out from under us for a number of years. Fortunately, he has since retired, and they have appointed a saner individual in his place.
Jared Thorne
aka Sir Charles of Loveland Castle
KOGT
Rogue #261
LVH #76
IFRP #80

Capt. Morgan

Ahhh....sanity is a rare quality where the Faire is concerned...*sigh*

Drake Starsong

It's really sad that some people just don't grow up in the right area's. You would think a lot of politicians were still stuck in the kindergarten mode of pushing down the kid that took the orange crayon. I say they can take our Ale, but I'll be damned if they take the faire! One would think they would be mature enough to handle the situation like adults rather than making people suffer because they don't like someone. While I don't know the exact reason for the bickering with the faire owners, I don't think the way they are handling it is very mature. Just my 2 cents, I hope some day to have a beer again...well....you know what I mean - there isn't a lack of "home brew" :)
Yo ho Yo ho!