News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where to go and what to see?

Started by lady serena, January 14, 2012, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady serena

I hoping to bring one of my best friends and her daughter to there first renaissance festival. I have never been to Bristol so Im wondering what is there to do for a child that is 8yrs old? And what shows should we see? I know she will love the fae, but is there a childs area? I want to try and make this the funnest time that they ever had, so I can talk them into going to more ren faires. Thanks for your help. Lady Serena
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Alexandra Johanna

There is indeed a children's area, called the Kid's Kingdom that is situated right in the middle of the faire. We've been going as a family since our daughter was 3 or 4, she's about to be 15 now and still loves going. The wandering cast is usually very interactive with the little ones. I remember once when Makayla was about 7 or 8, the young man playing Will Scarlet from Robin Hood came up to talk to us as we strolled past. He wooed and complimented we "ladies" and eventually asked Makayla if she would allow him to kiss her hand. She shook her head no vigorously, pushing me forward, and declared, "Kiss my mom instead!" We all had a good laugh!  We later saw another merry man being thoroughly buried by small children in the mulch of a garden bed. He was playing dead, and Robin suggested they dispose of the body. They were having a grand time, LOL. This was several years ago, and casts change, but you get the idea. The more open you are to play and have fun, the more Bristol has to offer!

There are rides and games booths as well, but both cost a few dollars. She might still be small enough to ride the butterfly ride, which was our daughter's favorite. There is also a petting zoo, but we've never actually visited it. I'm not sure why. Seems strange, now that I think of it. But its there, and I've sometimes seen the smaller animals out and about with handlers.

As for shows... you MUST see Moonie the Magnificent! He is just a riot for young and old. Some of the shows at Bristol may have mature themes, but you will see that listed in various manners on the signage outside the venues. Moonie is VERY kid friendly (except for the last show of the day, which is marked mature audiences). Many of the performers are only there for limited runs, so its best to check the entertainment schedule on the website and see what's going on when you plan to attend. If Ded Bob is playing, he is also another good one that kids enjoy since he's a funny skeleton puppet act. There is just so much to see!

Enjoy!

wildthingjew

Write me before ya come will get tickets for best price, ya'll should get fof garden pass for weekend, 5 for adults kid free gatorade free private restroom and lots of rest space and some friendly people, also my friend has daughter that age I can hook them up to show her the sights.
jamie, mother of miss katie scarlett

Lady De Rue Rue

Hi Soulstice brings up some great ideas for kids at Bristol.

We have a four year old daughter and she loves seeing the Fae (aka Fantastikals) which some are in Shakespear's Meadow.  They (the Fae) do wander around the faire and to parts of the kids kingdom through out the day.

I also would recommend taking her down to see the nobles in Royal Mews.

As wildthingjew recommended get a FOF pass (friends of the faire) which will allow you access to the FoF garden, water, and bathrooms.  And a place to sit down and eat.  This comes in handy especially when you want to eat and need a place to sit or just put your feet up for a couple minutes.  Easier to use the FoF restrooms than standing in line for the public restrooms which a lot of kids do not like to do when it's summer.

Be sure to get a map when you walk in and check what shows are playing as Soulstice mentioned some are adult themed and you may want to avoid those shows.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Our sons are both grown, so we don't have kids to take to faire now, but if Dr. Kaboom is there, he is great.  Also, if she isn't afraid of loud noises, Adam who cracks the whip (and has several Guinness Book of World Records) does a good show. 

Surprised nobody mentioned the Dreadnought, the pirate ship on the lake.  It costs $5 additional to go on, but the kids can "steer" the wheel, pull the ropes up and down, and other things onboard.

At additional charges are pony rides, camel or elephant rides, then there is a wooden horse that goes down a rope & the child holds a lance & tries to grab a ring.  There's a climbing wall, digging in the sand for treasures, a jumping slingshot kind of thing, plus several people-powered rides where an employee does the work instead of motors.  There is a whole Kids Kingdom with entertainment.  Of course the joust, the noble glade, the Fantastikals (fae), Robin Hood & the Merry Men in the lanes.

Second the Friends of Faire weekend pass, probably the best value in Bristol!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

lady serena

Thanks for all the help, we will most definately check out the areas listed. We are doing an all girls weekend out, no men, asmy hubby will be working and her son is going to be in boot camp in South Carolinia. 
Guppy # 81
Fins up

lady serena

Im so bummed! Im more than likely not going to be able to make Bristol this year. With rising gas prices and a possible surgery earily this summer its just not in the cards. Oh well maybe next year. Thanks everyone for the help, and hope to see you all next year.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Goody

Serena Ive thought about taking the boys over there but I just cant imagine what we would do to keep em busy all that time. MNRF (SURPRISINGLY) seems more kid friendly. There's things adults enjoy but is also good for kids (at mnrf). Moonie is about all I can think of (and we see hime at MN) besides just being in the kid area but I hate being so secluded. As an adult you miss out when stuck in there. Even our musicians have instruments for kids to shake.