News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What has been YOUR most ambitious Project to date??

Started by Lady Kathleen of Olmsted, January 23, 2012, 09:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I continue to be in awe of the creativity and talent of the forum members here. Your work continues to inspire me and propel me to be the best I can be. HUZZAH to you all!

What has been your most ambitious undertaking of a garb project? One that ate at you day and night that you just had to make???

For me, it was recreating the Pelican Portrait Gown for Jeannine. SHe had been wanting this gown for years. She gave me as a gift, Janet Arnold's ELIZABETH'S WARDROBE UNLOCKED. She pointed to the Pelican gown. I want that and how much. The rest is history.

The original  portrait that was the inspiration.

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyStitch

The closest I have gotten, that is GARB related was the Pink Pirate's pirate coat outfit.  However we have had in the works for 2 years the "Clock Work Project".  It is to replace his current Sir Roland (late 1700's) outfit made from drapes, unlined, and worn to near bits.

We have the plum corduroy but need to get the rest of the items.  What he wants is this...
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Clockwork_Droid
http://www.virginmedia.com/digital/science/pictures/dr-who-exhibition.php?ssid=8

In an ideal world he wants it for Halloween/TRF this year. Not sure if we can make it happen given the trim, lace, and buttons involved. If we do it we want to do it right.

Edit: fixed the links
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Anna Iram

Wow, Kathleen. That's some gorgeous work there. :)

Don't have a handy picture, but I'll look about for one. My most challenging project was my first set of garb. I made a period corset, hoops, chemise, bodice, and two sets of sleeves and foreparts. I' m no great seamstress, tbough I've done plenty of sewing. Never made ren period clothing before. I was so proud to have completed this huge project with period skills new to me. Learned how to make all that here on RF.  Back in FaireMare's days. You all really are so helpful and inspiring. I'm lazy now and not needing anything new...*grin*.. I know NEED has little todo with it...but I do love seeing what everyone else turns out. Might be another project in the wings soon. God knows I've got plenty of stash.

amy

I am proud to post my best "so far"  but I still consider myself a beginner at the big projects and have plans for that are so much more grand.    God grant me the skill and nimble fingers to make those dreams come true. 
Here are the two of which I am most proud to date.   My grey taffeta and Sarah's Young Bess gown:  They have both already seen a lot of wear and tear.   Or maybe I have just always been most happy when I am with my daughter at Faire.   For whatever reason, and for every reason..... this is the biggest so far.

Gowns and hats and handwork by Am.
Thank you for letting us share, Lady K.  It is nice to look back on our triumphs instead of always remembering my oops'.

Kate XXXXXX

I think mine was the whole 18th C project:

3 shifts.  This is the linen one:
1 pair of stays in green silk:
1 pair of pocket hoops:
1 cotton flannelet petticoat:
1 cotton under petticoat in lilac cotton/linen mix
1 lilac brocade caraco
1 satin petticoat

1 black and white caraco
1 black satin petticoat
1 Gainsborough hat

1 bergere (decorated)
1 purple petticoat with lace trim
1 purple sacque gown with lace trim
1 tricorn

1 rust linen polonaise
1 rust linen petticoat
1 white linen embroidered stomacher
1 tea dyed lace trimmed fichu

1 gold embroidered cream silk coat with gold braid
1 yellow silk waistcoat with gold braid and lace trim
1 pair of yellow silk breeches

1 pair of blue silk breeches:
1 'doctoring' coat:
And the gold banyan!

For those who missed the saga, yes, this lot was all for one weekend, and yes, every bit got worn!

Adriana Rose