News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Castleton 2012

Started by Archer, January 18, 2012, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

May is not a long way off.   Looking forward to the upcoming work shops the owners of Castlton are offering for FOF charter members this year.    They have some nice packages that include three levels with various degrees of perks.

If you plan to visit for a first time, you'll find this faire worth the time.  I am told that Circa Paleo will be there again on the final weekend. 

I won't call this a "countdown" thread but . . . maybe just an anticipation thread with an offer of unofficial answers and such to newcomers for any first time visitors that have questions about the area or camping or just the faire in general from a playtron's perspective.   This will be my 6th or 7th ( I lost count) year of attending this faire as a playtron.   It seems to offer something or several somethings new,  every year.

Looking forward to a visit from Merlin and Nim this season. 

If you are attending, look us up and say hello. 

We can point you in the direction of free water if ye budget be tight this year.   ;D 

Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Merlin the Elder

Kind of you to mention us, Archer! We're looking forward to another visit to Castleton as well! We very much enjoyed it last year. This is already turning out to be a packed Spring schedule for us!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Archer

We're counting on seeing you two and have ye space all ready to go.

OKRF or Castleton or Castle of Muskogee ( all these names are used ) link for information:  http://www.okcastle.com/

You'll see some RFer faces in the gallery section at that link.  MtE, I'll have your beverage ready to celebrate your journey.

We're looking forward to getting to Texas for the upcoming big event.  8)

Rani Zemirah

Merlin, you'll have to let us know which weekend you and Nim will be attending, so we can be sure to be there!  I'm not sure how many weekends we'll be able to make it out, but if you two will be there, then of course so will we!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Renee Buchanan

I started a thread, Visitors from the North, because 4 of us are hoping to come over Memorial Day.  Any answers to my abundant questions would be much appreciated!  We've never been, but this faire has been highly recommended to us, and we look forward to our visit.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merlin the Elder

Archer would be the person to answer your questions. I have attended but once as yet. Being Oklahoma, and Memorial Day, I would make sure you have cooler garb available, because it could very easily be really hot. Historical average is 81, but the last couple of years have been abnormally warm in the region.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

Lady Renee, I agree with Merlin as to the probable temperatures, although it could be a touch chilly in the early hours.  Since parking is quite reasonably close, however, strolling back out to your vehicle to return your cloak is easily done.  I also agree that Archer would be the one to ask about local amenities, as well, since I've only been to this Faire once, also (even though we've lived here in the state again for almost 11 years, this time).  

It's a lovely Faire, though, and should be easily toured in a weekend, particularly if you will have three days and enjoy lingering in the shops.  There are some wonderful vendors, and they are not all  the same things you see from Faire to Faire, so you might want to do a bit of shopping!  Some excellent crafters sell their wares there, and the food can be quite good, as well.  There are spirits available, also, and the gatekeepers are not terribly concerned about what you bring in with you in your tankard, either!  No one even asked as we all walked in with full mugs and flasks last year, so the atmosphere is nicely relaxed and very conducive to tailgating!  There is some wonderful entertainment, as well, and the layout of the Faire makes it fairly easy to get from one stage to the next in time for the various offerings.  There are also many places to find a bit of shade to sit in and relax, and the Castle even offers a bit of cooled air if you get overheated... as well as air conditioned flushies!  In fact, I believe all of the privies I encountered on the grounds were flushies, although only the ones in the castle have AC.  

(Edit:  There ARE porta-privies outside the gates, in teh parking lot, but I believe those were the only ones I saw that were not flushies.)

Tickets are available online, and can be found here, as well as tickets to special events such as the Queen's Tea, Pirate's Feast, King's Lunch, etc...  There is also a two day pass that is quite reasonable, and the daily ticket prices are very low, as well.  I believe we will be buying the season passes this year, in the hopes we will be able to attend more than one weekend.  

I don't know anything about the camping in the area, other than that there is supposed to be some within half an hour or so, but when Scally and I went last year we stayed in the van in the parking lot, and no one said a thing to us.  There were also a few other vehicles which were quite obviously occupied, as well, and at least one RV that was plugged into an electrical outlet on a light pole right there in the lot, so I can't imagine they even care as long as you're not setting up tents!  I believe we passed a few motels on the way in, as well, although I couldn't tell you anything about them.  Most looked fairly standard to the national norm, however, and a couple even looked rather new-ish, if I recall correctly.  

That's about the extent of my knowledge... but I really do think that Archer can most likely give you more in depth information.  Hope at least a little of this helps!  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

Link to more 2012 answers/descriptions located on this forum/board . . . http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=16888.0

On a budget but want a nice clean cabin with a kitchen and nearby eating establishments ?   http://indianlodge.net/

State Park Cabins, RV . . . or tent camping . . . http://www.shopoklahoma.com/sequobay.htm

http://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.3236

http://www.shopoklahoma.com/sequobay.htm

Rani Zemirah

Archer, can you give us a rundown on approximately how many miles these places are from the Faire grounds?
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

Roughly.  Maybe sixteen miles or so, give or take and depending on which ones you want to know about but, easy travel.  Not  much more than driving across a large city except, very few stop lights and mostly four lane coming from the north of Muskogee.

The State Park location Greenleaf and Sequoyah Bay are probably closer by a few miles.   Sequayah Bay State park is a little to the northeast  of Muskogee and where it seems that most from that city go during summer to the lake as closest perhaps to the city proper.    Greenleaf is to the southeast of Muskogee, pretty drive but,  maybe not as easy to locate without knowing the area or having a GPS but its not too far from the military camp Gruber in Muskogee County. 

Lady Renee Buchanan

I don't know if the camping info is directed towards our group, or if it's just general information, but if I made it seem like we would be camping, we won't.  We will  stay in a hotel.

Spoke to a friend of ours, she and her husband stayed at the Motel 8.  They liked it & said it was clean and safe, so we are looking at that, or maybe others that are comparable.  Haven't made any reservations yet.

It's great having all of the input, always better when insiders can tell you what to see and just as important, what to skip.

Thanks, all.  Keep it coming!!!    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 

Archer

Yes, just general shelter information for those on a budget.  I tend to do cabins more than motel rooms for many reasons.  When on a "get away" a ground floor location happens with a cabin choice.  Less chance for car break-in,  far from home.  Theft of tags off cars seems to be on the rise, not just in this location either.   I like a fireplace when on vacation and cabins sometimes offer that option where a motel room does not.  When traveling with a group, you can get noisey at a cabin if you want.  If others get noisey and you want quiet, you get that also, with a cabin.  When traveling with friends the sharing of the cabin rental can be a savings to the group travel budget and many have a common living room area which is nice for gatherings with less space for such things in comparison to a motel lobby option.  Just a personal preference thing when on an adventure to new places. Coffee in the morning on a porch with a view of the lake appeals to me more than walking out to a parking lot of a motel to see if my transportation is in the same shape as it was left the night before.  Unfortunately, motel parking lots are often targeted ( here and everywhere ) by petty auto theives because victims are mostly from other places and they often won't or can't return for a trial if perpetrators are apprehended.  The dark side thinks the risk is less so motel parking areas are a popular target.  My work history causes me to know how the dark side thinks and acts and obviously that tends to play in to personal decision making.   Very pleased to know that you found something that fit your budget.   ;)

Archer

Rani Zemirah

I think we're going to try and make it to the Queen's Tea this year.  It's quite reasonably priced, and it sounds like fun! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Renee Buchanan

Does your Friends of Faire offer weekend passes to visitors?
A real Surf Diva
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs