News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Castleton 2012

Started by Archer, January 18, 2012, 03:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archer

A viking visitor . . . last season.

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on January 29, 2012, 02:13:14 PM
Does your Friends of Faire offer weekend passes to visitors?

Yes.  They are spoken for, when they arrive with my level III FOF.  If I hear of a discount or a two for one or something along that line, it will be posted here in short order.   A few employees or performers of Castleton (Castle of Muskogee)  visit this forum,  from time to time.  Maybe the owner too, for all I know.   I did see a laundry lass posting from last year so, maybe they'll post info on discount opportunites . . .  if or when they check in here this season.  

Say hello to Jeff if you visit this season.

Rani - The adults with daughters do come out of the Queen's Tea (usually inside the castle) with smiles.  Lunch with the King (in the second level wine tasting area overlooking the jousting field) is a good time also.  Just about every food from the faire is brought to you there in one place with the wine tasting right there and handy.   In the past, jugglers and musical performers rotate through as you dine on a variety of what the faire has to offer.  The idea of it, with a large variety of the faire's food (examples like cheese, grapes, bread bowl with potato soup and such) being brought to you in one place with a view of the dance area on one side and jousting field on the other has some appeal for those who like being outside and near the action.   If its hot and you have hot garb . . . one might prefer inside the Castle with the Queen's Tea, air conditioning and similar entertainments geared for children (and female children seem to prefer it . . . would be only my own viewer's observational opinion.   If it should for some odd reason rain, both places are dry.  

The smoker is open air location behind the pirates area in a fort looking enclosure far out of the mainstream areas and little ears.   If it rains, last experience was they moved that to the second level wine tasting area with a roof and tables.   Last time it rained, it actually got a bit more wide open with the fun inside the castle with  hardcore visitors and regulars as many of the danes moved toward their cars and home.    The staff pay alot of attention to the little ones and they seem to glow with the level of interaction that the staff promotes and creates.

The FOF perks demonstrate that the owner views his regular playtrons as an asset.  Bravo Jeff.   ;D
Want a better world ?   Be a better person.

Every person is a new door to a different world.

Lady Renee Buchanan

These pictures are so great!  They make me tap my foot impatiently waiting for Memorial Day weekend and a visit!

Not only about discount tickets (which we will certainly keep our eyes open for), but does your FoF allow people to join for just the weekend they are visiting?  For example, at our home faire and several others we have been to, you can pay $5 or $10 for the weekend and have access to the FoF private area with the water and the privy as a visiting member.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.  I went on the faire website, and read about the entertainment, the merchants, the costume contest, and saw the map, and it looks so beautiful, I can't wait for winter to be over!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rani Zemirah

Archer, the King's Luncheon sounds really wonderful, but the price of the Queen's Tea is much more in line with our budget, since we want to try and visit more than once this season.  Mostly we will be bringing simple peasant meals with us (fruit, cheese, bread and meats), and tailgating in the parking lot for meals, even though I know there are lots of tasty choices available inside the gates.  This will allow us to have one treat per weekend, such as the Queen's tea, without breaking the bank, and still enjoy all of the wonderful entertainment. 

We are definitely going to be getting the season passes, though, because it's such a wonderful savings over even the advance ticket prices that it will be worth the price even for Scally's pass.  I' d like to try and save up enough for one of the evening events, as well... such as the Masked Ball.  I think we would both enjoy that!  We'll just have to see how things work out, though. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Archer

If you too are a veteran, join in with me and my fellow veterans for the very respectful and fitting Memorial Day parade/ceremony the last weekend of faire.

Everyone seems to have their own preference on the evening events.   I've attended them all, more than once.   I suppose the King's Feaste was my personal favorite of the evening events.   I say "was" because I understand they are changing the theme to Pirate's Feaste and the label doesn't really matter.   The pirates and Scotts are massive in number so honor them, we should.   The Masked Ball is fun for those who like to dance and see great garb.   Without naming them all, they are all a great way to fill out the day at faire.  

For those who may be staying longer or arrive early, the U.S.S. Batfish WWII submarine is a neat tour for big and small kids with a  location not too far ( a few miles ) from the Castle and the entry to crawl all over this boat is a few bucks.  The small entry fee goes to upkeep and maintenance.  It has a great museum and other things to see there.   Amazing that so many men went such great distances inside such tight space and fragile weaponry.   A bit off topic but, it goes along with the idea of things to see in the area, should one be unable to afford the evening entertainments at the OKRF.  

@LRB -  I do not know the answer to your question.  This FOF is a new Charter Membership thing,  just starting.   This is the 17th annual festival.  I get season passes so, I do not know about other ticket info offers.  They may have weekend deals and/or I think they did a special for the three day weekend at the end but, uncertain.   The Castle link provides contact info to ask directly on that ticket information.   What you see on their webpage about the FOF is all the info that is out there to learn on it,  as far as known.  If staff or performers check in to this forum/thread this season, maybe they can answer these ticket and weekend special questions.  ???

A comment by the Bedlam Bards:

The Castle is the farthest both of the bards travel for a gig, and it's always worth it.  The good people in Muskogee always treat us like the stars we are--or at least, the stars we would like to be.  It's a tough trip to get there, but it's always hard to leave.   This faire is quickly becoming our favorite.  Pound for pound, you will not find a faire with more fun per square foot.  If you can visit that faire without a Castletonian interacting with you, you are invisible.  It's as close to the DFW metroplex as TRF, and the weather is much cooler than Scarborough's, so we expect to see more and more of our Hawkwood friends there in the future.  And I challenge you to find another major faire where the owner is willing to dance a lilt with the cast!  While you are there, be sure to check out the Washing Wenches and kick up your heels at the Maypole Dance, run by our good friend Will Somers, the best jester in all the lands.

Source:  http://www.bedlambards.com/sched00.html

ladyoftheweb

Hello, I am the newest employee at the Castle of Muskogee and the Asst. Webmaster for okcastle.com. For those of you asking about Friends of Festival for just one weekend, might I suggest a Level 1 or level 2 membership. You can find the information on those at http://www.okcastle.com/friendsoffestival.htm.
There are also several hotels in the area for those of you asking about lodging and there are also some camp grounds in the surrounding areas. The campground at the Castle is for the merchants and actors only! We look forwarding to seeing you guys at the festival starting April 28th!

Archer

Quote from: ladyoftheweb on February 01, 2012, 10:00:22 AM
Hello, I am the newest employee at the Castle of Muskogee and the Asst. Webmaster for okcastle.com. For those of you asking about Friends of Festival for just one weekend, might I suggest a Level 1 or level 2 membership. You can find the information on those at http://www.okcastle.com/friendsoffestival.htm.
There are also several hotels in the area for those of you asking about lodging and there are also some camp grounds in the surrounding areas. The campground at the Castle is for the merchants and actors only! We look forwarding to seeing you guys at the festival starting April 28th!

Thank you for visiting with this reply and information.

A reply also came from Karen at the Castle today as follows:

I can help you with a group discount.  Get your numbers together and I will make sure you get the best offer of the season. 

The money part is always wonderful but our goal is to help you and your friends create the best memories ever.

Karen S. Cunningham
Artist Coordinator
The Castle of Muskogee, GM

A public thanks to the castle staff.  Now all we need is numbers of guests and dates to finish lining this up.  My count is six so far (not including Rani and her daughter who is going with a season pass) but,  maybe not all on the same weekend ?  Accurate to this point ?   Merlin, will you and Nim be bringing along your friend that attended last year ?   If you want in on the group discount, soon may be a good time to speak up on dates and total numbers of guests to attend.

Merlin the Elder

At the moment, no clue as to which weekend we would be attending. Not sure about Robert, Not of Loxley ... he just lost his job of 17 years! The Castle, being as close as it is, may end up being one of those spur-of-the-moment trips. I've got a lot going on right now and may not be thinking straight...  :P
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Archer

Regrets to hear of this Robert, Not of Loxley, situation.  All the best to him.  Maybe he needs some faire exposure fun, even more than we do ?  

If it is a faire weekend, ye shall know where to find me.  ;D

Just head toward the motorboat sounds coming from the direction of the wenches of the Scarlett Pillow.  ;D

Merlin the Elder

Robert NoL will still be traveling to Sherwood with us, and will join us for the big weekend at Scarby, so you'll get to see him. He's a survivor.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Renee Buchanan

We have 4 people coming for 3 days, so that's 12 tickets if they don't have to be used all the same day.  We are visiting on Memorial Day weekend.

How many are needed to get the group rate, and would the 3 days, 4 people each day qualify towards the number needed?  If there are others visiting the same weekend, maybe we could purchase tickets together if we need more to qualify for the group rate.

@ Lady of the Web:  For 3 days, the season FoF pass isn't a good value for us.  It is a great pass, with great benefits, for those visiting more than a weekend, or with a season's pass, but won't work for our group.  Thank you, though, for the suggestion.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Archer

In addition to Merlin and Nim, I know that I'll have about 8-10 that I anticipate will attend on various weekends, some of them multiple weekends and more that will include my employee family members.

Capt Spleen

To any first time and returning Castletoneers.......

Prepare to have ye Ren Souls Rocked Verily!

*need to get back to this gem of a faire*

Highly recommended

Renee,
We stayed at the Holiday Inn..... I think it was, Just down the street from Faire.
Very clean.

Rani Zemirah

Spleen, if you will be in attendance this season, then Scally and I would be most excited to come out and play in the lanes again with you!
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Capt Spleen

Rani,....indeed, verily!

As the last time we did not cross paths again, until very near end of faire.

Rani Zemirah

Exactly, and that was not nearly long enough!  Although it was extremely entertaining watching you learn the art of Scottish Bellydancing!  ;D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede